Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Gas bills

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 8:30 am
I have a 1750 sq foot house. The house was built in the 1970. I would say it’s nicely insulated. We don’t get an icicles in the winter. We replaced the doors to avoid drafts. We have relatively new windows. We set the heat to 64 at night and 68 during the day if we are home. My gas bill was $160 this past month. I can not imagine what my bill would look like of my heat was set to 70-72. Sometimes I am cold but I am too cheap to raise the heat and my kids don’t complain.
What do you set your house to? How big is your house and how much is your bill?

singsong

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 8:32 am
This will greatly vary by location, size of the house, age of the house, how well it's insulated, etc.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 8:34 am

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 8:48 am
amother OP wrote:
I have a 1750 sq foot house. The house was built in the 1970. I would say it’s nicely insulated. We don’t get an icicles in the winter. We replaced the doors to avoid drafts. We have relatively new windows. We set the heat to 64 at night and 68 during the day if we are home. My gas bill was $160 this past month. I can not imagine what my bill would look like of my heat was set to 70-72. Sometimes I am cold but I am too cheap to raise the heat and my kids don’t complain.

Wow how did you get such a low bill? My house is 2500 sq feet. Heat set to 70 for the evenings and nights, in the morning we put it on 65 until we come home from work. Our bill this past month was over $500

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 9:50 am
It depends on where you live and what the temperatures are outside

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 10:06 am
I have a 90 yr old house, forced air gas (updated), furnace is <10 yrs old. Can't say it's insulated well. ~2000 sq ft. My gas bill was $255 this last month--which is primarily heat, but also kitchen stove and hot water. Much higher than last year, but the usage was actually lower---because costs of gas went up.

It's 60-63 from 10P-5A, and days we're out 745AM-330P. Mornings before school/work it's 68, other times home it's set to 68, but I sometimes bump it to 70. Shabbos night before bed and Shabbos day it's 70.

Our winter so far has been slightly warmer than usual, so I've been more liberal with the temperatures. If we get more normal, super cold, temps, I will probably modulate a bit.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 10:27 am
Monsey
We do have an old house but we replaced windows, siding and roof.
We keep the house on 73 for mornings, at nighttime for the bedrooms and all shabbos. During the day when everyone is out it's lower (I don't remember exactly, I'd say mid to low 60s)
Bill was over 500

amother
Dill

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 10:32 am
5400 sf but attic is usually set to 63 bec not in use.
Sahm mom so the heat is on most of the day at least on one floor.
When it's off I lower it to 68 and when it's on it's usually on 71.
In winter bill ranges bet 230 & 270. Summer, only gas is water & stove so it's abt $45.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 11:32 am
amother Navy wrote:
Wow how did you get such a low bill? My house is 2500 sq feet. Heat set to 70 for the evenings and nights, in the morning we put it on 65 until we come home from work. Our bill this past month was over $500

That’s the thing. My heat is on 64 at night.

amother
Lily

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 11:40 am
amother OP wrote:

Our gas bill this month was $285 in Monsey .
My house was built in 1964 but we have newish windows and my house is nicely insulated . We keep the heat all the time at 65 degrees , day and night. 2300 sq feet
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics