Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
How to keep the children happy during Yom Kippur?

Pearl

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 5:51 am
maybe this was posted before, but can't find it....

anyways, how can I keep my children (between age 1-eight) happy during yom kipur?

gryp

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 7:19 am
ive been racking my brains for weeks wondering how I can fast, nurse, take care of the baby, and keep Mendel entertained with the computer and VCR off.
heres what I came up with:
1) gather all the animals/dolls/menchies from around the house and make him puppet shows
2) let him play by the kitchen sink with his toy dishes, he loves washing them
3) put a stepstool by the window so he can look out (he never gets a chance to)
plus all his books and toys which hopefully he'll be interested in.
and for some unknown reason we decided to toilet-train him, so ill be making trips to the bathroom all day with him Rolling Eyes
and I have some treats for him, to bribe him into doing things im not interested in fighting for at the moment.

anyone have any other ideas?

Tovah

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 8:02 am
I'm actually going to my mother where my siblings can help out. but lots of treats! and diff activites. buy a new toy or game

yehudis

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 8:50 am
RG, are you getting any help on YK? Maybe high school girls could help you. Sounds like too much when you're fasting.

That's what I'm doing -- I asked a girl to play with the older kids for the last several hours. Other than that -- books, puzzles, playing outside with my neighbors' kids should occupy them.

Pearl, do your kids have any friends they could invite over?

gryp

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 9:02 am
Quote:
RG, are you getting any help on YK? Maybe high school girls could help you. Sounds like too much when you're fasting.

I wish, but I just have a too strong of a feeling that girls belong in shul davening. thanx for your concern. I guess if I survived Rosh Hashana, I can survive Yom Kippur Confused , and I can not wait to go away for Sukkos where I dont have to do a thing except take care of my kids (with lots of help, too) Very Happy

RedVines

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 9:29 am
I was thinking of washing off some of the outside play things I.e: slides, little bikes, hoop, I think that would make them happy!

supermom

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 11:38 am
boy pearl you took the words out of my mouth I am getting nervous taking care of four kids myself the whole yom kippur rosh hashana wasn't so bad since I wasn't fasting but yom kippur oh boy I am dreading it.

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 11:48 am
mommyoftwo, I wish we could do that here, but it looks like its gonna be really cold here yom kippur...I don't know what I am going to do a whole day inside, my son lives outdoors.

RedVines

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 12:22 pm
I meant wash them off and bring them inside! Basically set up the living room with the outdoor play stuff!

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 12:49 pm
can you blow bubbles on shabbos/yom tov? I've already let me dd start doing that indoors.

Rivk

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 12:53 pm
I have a few new toys I've been hanging on to for a while specifically for Yom Kippur! How about getting together with a friend for a few hours? Someone else's toys are always way better!

lucky

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 8:58 pm
I don't think you are allowed to blow bubbles on shabbos/yom tov.
I always go to my moms house, there they play with my sisters kids. It also makes things easier, since we sort of divide the work. You take care of my kids while I nap/daven, and then I take care of your kids while you have a chance to nap/daven.
Also, if my daughter wants a drink, I will usually give all little kids a drink since I'm standing anyway.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 16 2005, 11:11 am
it does children good to be board. the'll think of something. get them to imagine anything. children don't need anyone to play- let them get on with it

raizy

Post Wed, Oct 19 2005, 8:54 pm
its good for kids to be bored . are u crazy or what? when my kids start to be bored they start to move and go to ny. they shelp all the toys all 5 million pieces of toys out of the toy room and into a different room then they make a huge pile sit on it and go to ny. believe me its easyier if my kids dont get bored!!! who do u think cleans up all their mess.?

yehudis

Post Wed, Oct 19 2005, 9:41 pm
Raizy, LOL my kids do that too, besides jumping on the beds and breaking things in the kitchen.

Guess what -- as soon as I posted that I was getting help, the girl cancelled. She decided she did want to be in shul after all. As soon as I post something good, it changes. Ayin hara, I guess. So what am supposed to do here -- complain?! Maybe then whatever I am complaining about would get better.

Anyway, I did get two 9-year-olds to help me, and they did a great job. And fasting wasn't so bad either, B"H. Easier than two years ago, when my second was a baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur