Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
For all those jealous of the poor—peaceful discussion please
  Previous  1  2  3  17  18  19

Is it worth going from middle class to poor
yes  
 19%  [ 33 ]
no  
 80%  [ 139 ]
Total Votes : 172

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 1:23 pm
amother Orange wrote:
We get health insurance from one of the biggest companies in America. It’s supposed to be amazing. Yet we pay an insane amount. Between deductibles, coinsurance, co pays, and then on top of that they often only cover 20-40%. If this company is so bad I can’t imagine others are better.

Same. At a large NYC law firm.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 1:29 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
But the family that is WORKING instead of taking government benefits has it harder.

Because both parents work, may need 2nd car,
More cleaning help, childcare, takeout food

Not all jobs are economical. I stopped working when I had the 2nd child because I realized it didn't pay to pay for childcare to go to work and make $12/hr. There is no reason to work just to work.

My husband got a straight commission sales job once. He was doing door to door sales. He's very good. But we realized at the end of the first month that by the time he paid gas, bought his uniforms, bought flyers, paid for parking and bought new shoes because he wore his out he made like $400 profit the whole month so he quit. Working 12 hours a day. Not worth it. He got another job.

You have to really think about how much you are really making after you pay to go to work and if it's worth it. And if you can't find something economical then the answer isn't to just take some job with no future that costs you money to work just to work. Employers have to make it actually worth it. It's not volunteering. You want to volunteer there are plenty of chesed opportunities. It's better to go on programs and learn a new skill than to donate your time to some corporation. Or even stay home and plant a garden on your balcony; at least you get cheap food.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 1:38 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
Same. At a large NYC law firm.

LOL LOL In general even large law firms aren't particularly generous to their lower level employees. I can almost guarantee you that the partners have been policies than the workers. There is a loophole that allows this - or at least there used to be.

The mindset is that law firms are generally partnerships in some way - or at least a significant number of the partners get compensation based on how much money the firm makes. Therefore they are very reluctant to spend money because they feel it is coming out of their own pockets.

This is also true of some businesses that are owned by individuals even if they have many employees.

But large corporations, it is generally meant companies like IBM or Apple or Ford etc.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 1:41 pm
it was much better before obamacare. after obamacare the price of insurance for middle class people went up.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 1:59 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
it was much better before obamacare. after obamacare the price of insurance for middle class people went up.
Yes, but that’s because insurances need to accept people with pre existing conditions. They weren’t going to give up any profits so they passed along the costs of that to the rest of us. My plan pre Obamacare had a $10 copay and zero deductible. It’s been years and I still miss it.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 2:09 pm
correct. I wish there was some way to undo obamacare because it's really insane the amount of money I pay a month for what's basically a catastrophe plan I the the deductible is something like 16,000 at least.
if I understand correctly the pre-existing condition thing was only an issue if you had a lapse in coverage, as long as you always had coverage it wasn't an issue.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 2:48 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
correct. I wish there was some way to undo obamacare because it's really insane the amount of money I pay a month for what's basically a catastrophe plan I the the deductible is something like 16,000 at least.
if I understand correctly the pre-existing condition thing was only an issue if you had a lapse in coverage, as long as you always had coverage it wasn't an issue.

No it was a huge issue. I never had a lapse in coverage but couldn't get any kind of maternity care without an 18 month waiting period. And we paid $14,000 for a very basic plan with a $10K deductible pre Obama care so not sure how you had such a cheap plan. I paid $400/prenatal visit pre obamacare.

Insurance may have been cheaper for the lucky few who made too much money to be helped by obamacare subsidies (more than 400% of the poverty level) and who were in perfect health but for 90% of people Obamacare was amazing.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 2:58 pm
Health shares are really a good alternative for many.

$499 per month first 6 people, plus $50 each additional
$125 first year registration, $75 later years
Pre-share amount = $1,500 annual
Many routine care appointments covered 100%
Unlimited free telehealth
Then 80% of costs, up to a max of $8,000 out of pocket

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 3:18 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
Health shares are really a good alternative for many.

$499 per month first 6 people, plus $50 each additional
$125 first year registration, $75 later years
Pre-share amount = $1,500 annual
Many routine care appointments covered 100%
Unlimited free telehealth
Then 80% of costs, up to a max of $8,000 out of pocket

They usually have weight limits and don't take people with pre existing conditions

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 3:28 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
They usually have weight limits and don't take people with pre existing conditions

I don't think they have weight limits as far as I saw, but you may have to pay extra for a nurse to consult with you regularly about your health if they think you have an issue that needs extra management.

They don't cover pre-existing conditions for a predetermined time.

Should still be a viable option for many, and much cheaper than regular insurance.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 3:29 pm
amother Stone wrote:
LOL LOL In general even large law firms aren't particularly generous to their lower level employees. I can almost guarantee you that the partners have been policies than the workers. There is a loophole that allows this - or at least there used to be.

The mindset is that law firms are generally partnerships in some way - or at least a significant number of the partners get compensation based on how much money the firm makes. Therefore they are very reluctant to spend money because they feel it is coming out of their own pockets.

This is also true of some businesses that are owned by individuals even if they have many employees.

But large corporations, it is generally meant companies like IBM or Apple or Ford etc.

This is the same for partners, not talking low level employees…

Bh the salary and other benefits are great but health insurance (despite being considered a great plan) is terrible.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 3:58 pm
You need to read the fine print with health shares because they are NOT health insurance and are exempt for any of the protections that are afforded under the AHCA.

You fill out an application with medical history just like the bad old days before AHCA when people could be denied coverage for even the slightest condition let alone something like cancer. If you don't fully disclose you can be denied coverage for treatment.

Doctors may or may not accept it so you would pay for the medical care and then might not receive full reimbursement because the amount covered is what is deemed "reasonable" by them. It is not a question of being in the network or out of the network because they don't have agreements with medical providers. Some many providers will not want to deal with waiting for compensation from them.

There are no fiscal safeguards so there is no guarantee that you will be compensated as they are not required to keep reserves. So far there haven't been failures but that could possibly happen if there isn't enough to pay out shares

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 4:28 pm
We use united refuah health share, and are very happy with it. It's 350 a month for a couple bh, kids still qualify for jersey care.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 4:31 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
I don't think they have weight limits as far as I saw, but you may have to pay extra for a nurse to consult with you regularly about your health if they think you have an issue that needs extra management.

They don't cover pre-existing conditions for a predetermined time.

Should still be a viable option for many, and much cheaper than regular insurance.

Last time I did Obamacare it was $200/month so a healthshare isn't cheaper

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 5:17 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:

How much was your deductible? How much out of pocket maximum?

I'm sure it won't be cheaper for everyone, and if you qualify for discounts it also might not be worth it.

But for those willing to do the math, it's a viable option for many. The marketplace is not your ONLY option for health insurance.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 5:30 pm
I work in a public school solely for their excellent health insurance that covers myself, spouse, and kids.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 6:10 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:

$0 deductible $1500 OOP
Page 19 of 19   Previous  1  2  3  17  18  19 Recent Topics