Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job without degree, decent salary. Such a thing?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 11:05 pm
I saw on another thread some women were saying they make a pretty good salary even without a degree.. What kinds of jobs can one get without a degree that are pretty decent paying?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 11:10 pm
It's very location specific. For example, Lakewood offices pay very well and have a lot of growth potential.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 11:49 pm
What do you consider decent pay? What are your skills?
Office jobs can pay anywhere from $40k-$80k depending on location and experience.

agreer

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 11:58 pm
Also, commission-based sales are great - real estate, mortgage broker, insurance salesperson, etc.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 12:02 am
I also learned today, if I understood correctly, that you can teach HS without a degree.

The person said that she makes 24K and works 7 hours a week. Let’s assume she works 40 weeks a year (probably closer to 36, but let’s pretend 40), that is about $86/hour. Not to shabby.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 12:33 am
Programmers can make a lot with just a course certificate

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 2:07 am
I think the only way to really make it big without a degree is having your own business. Takes a lot of work and commintment and blood, sweat, and tears and a long time. But people can eventually earn a lot if they are successful.

Otherwise I think you can make nice salaries without a degree, but there is a limit to how much.

I work about 12 hours a week, plus some extra work I take home. I bh make about 50k before taxes. I think it's great for a part time worker without a degree and I'm thrilled with my salary bh. But I think I'm maxing out my feild. Without a degree this is close to as much as I'll ever make in this job (except if maybe I'll take on a lot more responsibility.)

How much are you looking to earn?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 2:29 am
Computers. You teach yourself or take classes; employers tend to want to know what you can do vs what degree you have. So you do need to be educated, but it doesn't have to be formal or regimented.

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 2:31 am
A degree is really just in place of experience. If you don’t have a degree, you’re not starting off making a great salary. After a few years, you’ll be able to make the same in that field as anyone with a degree.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 3:27 am
Data science
Data analysts make a bit less but is easier imo.
Virtual assistants get paid fairly well for the most part.

bruriyah

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 4:04 am
amother Forestgreen wrote:
I also learned today, if I understood correctly, that you can teach HS without a degree.

The person said that she makes 24K and works 7 hours a week. Let’s assume she works 40 weeks a year (probably closer to 36, but let’s pretend 40), that is about $86/hour. Not to shabby.

The reason these jobs pay $86/hr, like you described, is because the hours are so sparse. If the job was really FT it wouldn’t pay $86/hr.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 8:17 am
IT, cyber, data science.

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 8:43 am

The preparation time for high school is insane, so if you add that in, plus making up tests, marking, and speaking to parents, your actual salary is WAY less than $86 an hour.

(I'm not a teacher but my friends are and I see how hard they work. Especially high school, each period needs tons of preparation time).

bruriyah

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 10:31 am
In general, there aren’t really shortcuts to making $. Unless you have wealthy immediate family members who give you money or give you a job in their business.

Pay is proportional to the skill or product you provide. Higher education gives you skill (and the ability to have a business based on that skill) or one can create a business without higher education.

Both require hard work and ultimately the reward will be proportional to the scarcity of the skill or the quality of your product.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 10:33 am
I work in staffing and recruiting. I started with work experience but no experience in this at 35k 8 years ago im up to 58k. I think some of the skills that made me good at this I learned in college mostly writing but you can definitely do this job without a degree. Its more skills based and if you have them you have them.

mom!

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 10:35 am
amother Magenta wrote:
I think the only way to really make it big without a degree is having your own business. Takes a lot of work and commintment and blood, sweat, and tears and a long time. But people can eventually earn a lot if they are successful.

Otherwise I think you can make nice salaries without a degree, but there is a limit to how much.

I work about 12 hours a week, plus some extra work I take home. I bh make about 50k before taxes. I think it's great for a part time worker without a degree and I'm thrilled with my salary bh. But I think I'm maxing out my feild. Without a degree this is close to as much as I'll ever make in this job (except if maybe I'll take on a lot more responsibility.)

How much are you looking to earn?

What do you do?

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 10:44 am

Your calculations are faulty.
If you teach high school you make 24k per year which is very little money to survive!
It might be a good job if you can fill up the rest of your hours with something else. That's a very hard thing to do.
If husband has a good salary and you're just trying to supplement a little is not a bad job! Wink

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 9:55 pm
I have a managing position which I do remotely.
It’s a lot of responsibility but it only takes around 5/6 hours per week.

I make around 50k. I consider it a goldmine. I know I’m lucky. I’ve always dreamed of having such a job and never knew I’ll have it one day.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 9:59 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
I have a managing position which I do remotely.
It’s a lot of responsibility but it only takes around 5/6 hours per week.

I make around 50k. I consider it a goldmine. I know I’m lucky. I’ve always dreamed of having such a job and never knew I’ll have it one day.

Can you elaborate?? What does your job entail?

snailmail

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 1:44 pm
There is no set rule on how much anyone earns for any specific job. If you do a good job and they need you, difficult/impossible to replace, and company does well, they will offer /you can request much more than other places. If you do a mediocre job, there are plenty of replacements, company not that successful, you wont earn as much.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics