Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
DS12 will be seeing a Pediatric Psychiatrist Tomorrow

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:51 pm
DS has been a highly anxious sensitive child since he he was a toddler. He’s been seeing a psychologist for cbt therapy.

This year, things have sharply declined (partly because yeshiva learning has become much harder for him and partly because he’s undergoing hormonal changes as he is starting to mature).

His anxiety is debilitating him and he is not functioning at no school and at home. He has also become physically aggressive with this peers and siblings.

His therapist claims that without medication, he will not be able to make headway with talk therapy.

This is a major step for us, as in my community (very chassidish), there still is a very big stigma around mental health.

I’m asking for chizzuk, tips, and support from experienced moms out there. What can I expect at tomorrow’s intake appointment. What kind of side effects should I be on the lookout (once he starts taking the meds). Any any other helpful info.

TIA

livinginisrael

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:55 pm
Standard anxiety meds with least side effects is zoloft from what I know. Keep in mind it takes 4 wks approx to see results. Doctors usually gradually increase dose. My 6 year old is on 100 mg and I'm on 150mg

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:56 pm
You are a great mom doing what’s best for your child!! BH with the medication and therapy one day he won’t need them but if he does then no biggie! Trust me others are also doing it quietly. Wishing you and your child the best.

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:46 pm
For the intake appointment be ready to give lots of info, including past medical history and family history with any psychiatric disorders, also be ready to explain the symptoms you are seeing and how it is affecting your son’s functioning.

As for side effects I found the doctor did a good job explaining what to look out for.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:58 pm
Chasidish here, been on Zoloft, and my husband was also as a teen. You are right about the stigma, but things are gradually changing b"h. Just know you are a great mother doing what's best for your child. Also, there are many more people on meds than you would ever imagine.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 8:02 pm
Looking for an older teen VERY GOOD psychiatrist

amother
White

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 8:14 pm
Op, I want to wish you hatzlacha and applaud you for doing what you need to do. It's scary putting your kids on meds. It's such a hard step to take.

I'm chassidish. As much as your are right about the stigma, you have no idea how many kids and adults are on meds, just keeping it quiet because of stigma. I worked in a chassidish school and many ,many kids were on meds for various reasons. Chassidish moms also want to do what's best for their kids! They just won't always talk about it.

Hope it should be an easy journey. Loads of nachas from him.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 9:55 pm
Thank you all for weighing in and for your chizzuk. Any side effects I should be aware of? Do you or your child speak about being on meds openly?

amother
White

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 11:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all for weighing in and for your chizzuk. Any side effects I should be aware of? Do you or your child speak about being on meds openly?

Tzipora Shuk told me how to explain adhd meds to child. Not sure if you like this approach, I thought it makes sense.

Your brain makes minerals to be able to do xyz... Sometimes a persons brain doesn't make enough from that mineral so it makes it hard for them to xyz. You can go to a doctor that checks to see if you need to take from that mineral.... (Adhd is a lot like that, not sure how anxiety meds work)

Also would mention that meds that someone takes is more of a private topic. There is nothing wrong, just like you take antibiotics when strep, but it's more of a topic that you discuss with mother, not with everyone. Like the color of your underwear, it's not embarrassing that your underwear is blue, but you don't go around showing it... Don't create secrecy around it, just label it as more private...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 8:10 am
amother White wrote:
Tzipora Shuk told me how to explain adhd meds to child. Not sure if you like this approach, I thought it makes sense.

Your brain makes minerals to be able to do xyz... Sometimes a persons brain doesn't make enough from that mineral so it makes it hard for them to xyz. You can go to a doctor that checks to see if you need to take from that mineral.... (Adhd is a lot like that, not sure how anxiety meds work)

Also would mention that meds that someone takes is more of a private topic. There is nothing wrong, just like you take antibiotics when strep, but it's more of a topic that you discuss with mother, not with everyone. Like the color of your underwear, it's not embarrassing that your underwear is blue, but you don't go around showing it... Don't create secrecy around it, just label it as more private...

Thanks - this was helpful.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 10:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

Some side effects are minor and only last the first weeks, dry mouth, more sleepy,
If youre concerned about something definitely ask your doctor as not every med is good for every person

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 10:37 pm
op, I hope your appointment today went well and you're on the right path!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 11:04 pm
Thanks. I hope so as well.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 1:13 am
Can you please share with us how it went?
Can you please share with us the name of the psychiatrist and how you got that recommendation? I am looking for one as well.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 8:15 am
Op if you are still on here I am going through the same thing with DS 12 now! I feel like Gemara is just so hard to learn with an anxious mind. Talk therapy is not helping and I’ve been wondering about medication. Did you find that it worked for your DS?

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 8:19 am
My son 12 is Zoloft and it definitely helped. Not a very high dose. Give it time and don't rush to over medicate.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 10:02 am
My son has other issues besides anxiety (he is HFA). Life is difficult but the anxiety meds have helped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)