Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach for dummies
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 10:22 pm
We are staying home for pesach for the first time. I am very excited but also overwhelmed at the thought of everything I will have to take care of. I would love to hear everyone's tips and tricks for making it as stress free as possible. My children are all under 10 years old so they can't help that much but that also means it doesn't take much to make them happy in terms of food. They will probably survive on yogurt and applesauce for the week.

Also I would like to start buying things slowly now if possible to spread the extra spending out over a few months.
What kitchen tools should I buy? Any ingredients I can buy in advance before the mark up the prices for pesach?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 10:29 pm
Following
I bought the pesach planner made by the sane people as the purple spice and spirit cookbook (I think) but I've been nervous to open it
Priority number 1 for me is to make sure the whole experience is as enjoyable and stress free as possible

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 10:52 pm
I dont know what chumrahs you have but I suggest to keep things basic this first time around. Once you get the hang of things, you can aim for fancier dishes or experiments.

That said, besides the usual pots, pans, dishes, silverware, serving utensils, ladles, pitchers, and so on, the three appliances I use the most: food processor, small electric juicer, and an immersion blender. I can't make pesach without them.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 10:53 pm
I think it's a good idea to rely on lists and to plan a timeline for when you are going to start and finish each task. You also need to set a budget and to decide if you can outsource any of the elements. I'd break down the overall aspects of preparation as
1) Cleaning
2) Shopping
3) Cooking

Another important thing is to know your style and the level of presentation you would like. Some of this is dictated by budget. For example, it's possible to clean and prepare for yontiff and then use only disposables. That would mean using lots of foil pans and plastic serve wear/plates/cutlery and probably little to no stove top cooking. That works for people who are comfortable with the "dump" method of cooking. You could make a very respectable brisket, chicken, cutlets, and meatballs without using a single pot. You could also make a matzah lasagna, crustless quiche, roasted or steamed vegetables, frozen blintzes or matzah pizza all in foil pans. You could probably get one fry pan for matzah brei or pesach pancakes. This involves cost for disposables, which is cheaper in an individual year but will not be an investment in tools. It might be a good ease into your first experience preparing Pesach but if you are the kind of person who wants to serve with china and crystal and needs to have a Pesachdik kitchen aid, grinder, and griddle, this method is not for you.

Because you have not made Pesach (ever? in a while?) you will have to spend extra time on purchasing equipment. You will have additional set up costs that you won't have in future years. It's also good to keep a list during chol hamoed to remind you of the things that are missing so you remember to fill in. Make sure to label all your equipment because you will forget year to year what you used it for unless it is really obvious.

There are some very organized imamothers who keep great lists. Search this site and you should find them. Also, Evergreen had some information on their site in the past if you're in the NY area. I tend to revert to the same recipes most years. I have also learned to streamline and not get lured into buying the mixes that I'll throw out when I clean for this year's Pesach. What I've realized is that the best Pesach meals are those that don't require substitution (except for Matzah Lasagna, which I really like). Salmon with potatoes, chicken cutlets in matzah meal crumbs with roasted vegetables and latkes, hamburgers and fries are all things that can be easily made and are Pesachdik.

For shopping, try to keep a list in your phone or a written document in your handbag that you can consult when shopping. This way, you don't buy three coffees but forget the ketchup.

Remember, that in order to shop, you probably need to clean an area of your house that is low traffic and at least your trunk to bring in groceries. I have one fridge that I also clean first. Beverages, baking ingredients, canned goods, candy, nuts, dried fruit, wine, seltzer, paper goods, can all be purchased in advance. Dairy products need to be bought about a week out and produce is probably only good a few days in advance. Meats can be frozen but fish should probably be fresh unless you don't mind the possible change in texture from freezing.

Finally, depending on your children's ages, keep in mind treats and foods for the seders and also throughout the week such as Leben, snack bags, applesauce, cut up vegetables, hard boiled eggs. We used to hand out candies for every question that the children asked (a tip we learned from a very wonderful Morah). That even works with older kids!

Wishing you a wonderful yontiff and hope you enjoy creating a great experience for your family.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 11:01 pm
Start cleaning EARLY - Rosh Chodesh Shevat.
By me, Pesach comes before Purim
By Purim the upstairs is chametz free
NO FOOD goes upstairs NO MATTER WHAT
Also certain toys get cleaned and put away to be taken out ONLY EREV PESACH
Some toys get put away with chametz

The goal is that by Rosh Chodesh Nissan the only areas left to clean is the kitchen and dinning room.

SingALong

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:09 am
Since you mentioned all your kids are under age 10, just an idea to have only Pesach or kitniyos snacks after Rosh Chodesh Nissan. Kids are kids, they just might bring a snack upstairs or in an area that’s already been cleaned.

I also try to cook as many things as possible before the kids break for Pesach vacation. I usually turn over the kitchen the last day of school. (I have a Pesach kitchen so I can do that. If I wouldn’t I’d need to turn over earlier.) once the kids are home I ind it much harder to do stuff when the kids are around needing breakfast/lunch/supper, attention, etc.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:23 am
I clean insides of closets, cabinets starting whenever in the winter I'm ready. Most of these places don't even need to cleaned halachically, but it makes the house feel clean.

Serious Pesach work starts after Purim. Clean one bedroom a day. No need to wash walls or scrub shelves. Simply vaccum the floors and wash the linen.

Turn over your kitchen no more than 4 days before Pesach. It's not like you need time to cook up elaborate dishes nor are you hosting guests to impresss. Leave about a day to clean the kitchen. Sell all your cabinets. The first year I just kept Pesach stuff on the counters and stovetop.

Having the kitchen clean and rest for 24 hours before kashering is one day. Kashering and lining takes another full day, especially the first time. Food shopping takes a half day. Then you're left with 1.5 days to make chicken, soup, and eggs. The first year we ate lots of basic food like mashed potatoes, fresh vegetable salads.

Basic equipment we bought the first year: 2 pots and one frying pan, knife, peeler, metal fork and spoon, glass cups for dh and I to drink from, and a mixing bowl. Everything else we used disposables including paper towels, cutlery, dishes, containers... In later years we added a hand mixer, food processor, silverware, drinking glasses for the whole family, etc.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:24 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
Start cleaning EARLY - Rosh Chodesh Shevat.
By me, Pesach comes before Purim
By Purim the upstairs is chametz free
NO FOOD goes upstairs NO MATTER WHAT
Also certain toys get cleaned and put away to be taken out ONLY EREV PESACH
Some toys get put away with chametz

The goal is that by Rosh Chodesh Nissan the only areas left to clean is the kitchen and dinning room.

To me such a schedule is a recipe for stress. First comes Purim then comes Pesach. With little kids, keeping food out of bedrooms was super stressful. We don't have an upstairs and downstairs, everything's on the same floor.

ila

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:44 am
Make sure to buy a good can opener I remember first Pesach I bought one that didn’t work well and it was very annoying and time consuming

jewishmommy1

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:54 am
There's cleaning and cooking. For cleaning, use a calendar and work backwards from Pesach. Decide when you want to start cooking, and the kitchen should be finished two days beforehand- leave 24 hours to wait before kashering plus a day to kasher and cover/line counters and stove/oven. If you need to turn over cabinets, that should be done before kashering. For the rest of the house, again, schedule it by working backwards on a calendar from Pesach.

For cooking, it might be helpful to make a menu, even a rough one. As you make your menu, jot down what equipment you'll need- a peeler, knife, pot, pan, potato masher, etc. You can also write down ingredients and quantities- this will help you shop without overbuying. Don't forget the food you will need for the Seder and the ke'ara.

Most importantly- keep it upbeat and positive. A thorough vacuuming with every closet sold plus plain food is a genuinely beautiful yom tov when you are calm, happy, and excited. It's definitely preferable to a gourmet menu with a stressed out and screaming mom! My personal goal every year is for my kids to be excited that pesach is coming.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 4:33 am
I have Pesach in my mind year around!!

I have a list in my wallet with things I need to buy. When I see a good deal I buy for Pesach.
Delete item on the list after purchase.

In your case it won't really work for now. Think what your absolute must-have items are and buy them first.

Buy good quality pots and pans as well as kitchen knives and cutting board. It's a one time investment for all Passovers to come Smile

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 4:35 am
ila wrote:
Make sure to buy a good can opener I remember first Pesach I bought one that didn’t work well and it was very annoying and time consuming

A good bottle opener and good veggie peelers too!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 4:48 am
If you get household items as a gift and you feel you already gave it, always think of Pesach use.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 6:35 am
It matters what restrictions you have. Some people don't use anything processed, and the list below wouldn't do any good. But for what it's worth...

Start with a menu, as others have said. I write my draft now. Decide when you'll kasher, based on how much cooking time you'll need. Make a list of ingredients for your meals. Divide that list into perishables and nonperishables.

Clear some space that you can clean and cover in your pantry, fridge, and/or freezer. Or double bag the items you're buying early.

If you're spreading out your shopping, here are some dry goods that are likely on the shelves at a kosher store, and probably already have Pesach hechsher, or are usually KLP without one:

Light olive oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
Salt (without iodine)
Marinara sauce
Tomato paste
Canned tomatoes
Spices
Tuna cans
White sugar

Raw meats and fish are KLP year round (except chopped meat and hot dogs, which can have additives). If you'll make something big, like a brisket or turkey, you can buy it any time and freeze it until ready to thaw and cook. (Check with your LOR if needed).

You may also be able to find KLP dairy on the shelves soon. Cheeses can often last a long time in the fridge or freezer.

Your menu will also determine your cooking supply list. Look it over, and figure out the minimum you'll need to get. Start looking at sales, and setting aside. When you're making cleaning and cooking schedules, make sure to save time to toveil your new stuff!

Final note for 2023. Given the insane price of eggs this year, I plan on buying at Costco, which has a limit of 10 dozen per customer. Since I personally (with guests in the house) will go through north of 20 dozen, I'm setting aside fridge space and starting my stock-up after Purim, so that I don't get caught by empty shelves any later. Usually, I buy closer to YT and don't refrigerate.

Enjoy!

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 6:40 am
Learn that halachos of what you actually have to clean for Pesach. Plan to lock up and sell cabinets, etc.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 9:46 am
Cleaning in advance or cleaning right before, completely depends on your personality.
Same with how you want to cook and bake.

My advice is to sit down with your spouse and make a conscious decision not to let pesach be stressful. And then to figure out what you need to do to make it so.

We come from a family where there are a lot of different food chumros. And I find it very hard to listen to various family members, whether it's siblings-in-law or nephews for nieces talking about how they hate pesach bec of the crazy cleaning and how hungry they are.

From the first year that we made yt, we made sure to work within our chumros to figure out a way to make sure that the house was full of good food and that no one was stressed about the cleaning and the turning over, even if it would mean that the kitchen doesn't look so fancy or neat for me as a mother.

And I'm happy to say that I feel like I succeeded because if you ask most of my kids they will tell you that pesach is their favorite yom tov.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 9:53 am
imasinger wrote:
It matters what restrictions you have. Some people don't use anything processed, and the list below wouldn't do any good. But for what it's worth...

Start with a menu, as others have said. I write my draft now. Decide when you'll kasher, based on how much cooking time you'll need. Make a list of ingredients for your meals. Divide that list into perishables and nonperishables.

Clear some space that you can clean and cover in your pantry, fridge, and/or freezer. Or double bag the items you're buying early.

If you're spreading out your shopping, here are some dry goods that are likely on the shelves at a kosher store, and probably already have Pesach hechsher, or are usually KLP without one:

Light olive oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
Salt (without iodine)
Marinara sauce
Tomato paste
Canned tomatoes
Spices
Tuna cans
White sugar

Raw meats and fish are KLP year round (except chopped meat and hot dogs, which can have additives). If you'll make something big, like a brisket or turkey, you can buy it any time and freeze it until ready to thaw and cook. (Check with your LOR if needed).

You may also be able to find KLP dairy on the shelves soon. Cheeses can often last a long time in the fridge or freezer.

Your menu will also determine your cooking supply list. Look it over, and figure out the minimum you'll need to get. Start looking at sales, and setting aside. When you're making cleaning and cooking schedules, make sure to save time to toveil your new stuff!

Final note for 2023. Given the insane price of eggs this year, I plan on buying at Costco, which has a limit of 10 dozen per customer. Since I personally (with guests in the house) will go through north of 20 dozen, I'm setting aside fridge space and starting my stock-up after Purim, so that I don't get caught by empty shelves any later. Usually, I buy closer to YT and don't refrigerate.

Enjoy!

KLP dairy already now? In israel its definitely not available until Purim.
Good you mentioned eggs!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 9:53 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
If you get household items as a gift and you feel you already have it, always think of Pesach use.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 11:53 am
We made the entire pesach for the first time covid year and it was hard. But now it's a lot easier. It does seem very daunting at first.
You have to know your personality and your kids to know the best way to cook/clean. I know I wouldn't cook earlier than the week before, so I don't have a pesach kitchen and I turn over my kitchen only a week before.
I also don't start cleaning too early because little kids. I try and have things sorted so it's just a quick check of cupboards, move beds etc. I lock off as much as possible. I sell my toy cupboard, all my kitchen cupboards etc. That saves me a lot on cleaning.
I have a notepad that I keep from year to year. I write how many I bought of different things, and then at the end of pesach what I have left. So I know how many boxes of matzos I think we're likely to go through, how much oil etc.
I also have my menu plans to refer back to and my recipes. There's some great recipes here if you search for them. I know you don't have that this year, but it's worth keeping records for future.
I do very basic menus and I try to combine so I'm not making too many things. So I'll make steak and double up so I've made for 2 meals, not just 1. I also mainly serve different kugels for sides as it's a lot easier to make batches of kugels in advance and just pull them out for the different meals.
Someone told me that they built up their pesach stuff each year and I find that's really true. I started off with very basic and I'm buying more each year.
I rely heavily on disposables as I don't have the storage space to store a lot of dishes, pots and pans.
And I learnt the hard way that buying cheaper isn't worth it. I bought a cheap peeler and it was soooo much harder. You are doing a high intensity cooking that you need things to be easier and work.
You want to be thinking of basic meals. I remember starting and looking through my everyday recipes and seeing what works for pesach.
Once you have a menu, then you can make a shopping list.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:39 pm
amother Lily wrote:
We made the entire pesach for the first time covid year and it was hard. But now it's a lot easier. It does seem very daunting at first.
You have to know your personality and your kids to know the best way to cook/clean. I know I wouldn't cook earlier than the week before, so I don't have a pesach kitchen and I turn over my kitchen only a week before.
I also don't start cleaning too early because little kids. I try and have things sorted so it's just a quick check of cupboards, move beds etc. I lock off as much as possible. I sell my toy cupboard, all my kitchen cupboards etc. That saves me a lot on cleaning.
I have a notepad that I keep from year to year. I write how many I bought of different things, and then at the end of pesach what I have left. So I know how many boxes of matzos I think we're likely to go through, how much oil etc.
I also have my menu plans to refer back to and my recipes. There's some great recipes here if you search for them. I know you don't have that this year, but it's worth keeping records for future.
I do very basic menus and I try to combine so I'm not making too many things. So I'll make steak and double up so I've made for 2 meals, not just 1. I also mainly serve different kugels for sides as it's a lot easier to make batches of kugels in advance and just pull them out for the different meals.
Someone told me that they built up their pesach stuff each year and I find that's really true. I started off with very basic and I'm buying more each year.
I rely heavily on disposables as I don't have the storage space to store a lot of dishes, pots and pans.
And I learnt the hard way that buying cheaper isn't worth it. I bought a cheap peeler and it was soooo much harder. You are doing a high intensity cooking that you need things to be easier and work.
You want to be thinking of basic meals. I remember starting and looking through my everyday recipes and seeing what works for pesach.
Once you have a menu, then you can make a shopping list.

About the peeler I totally agree. We cook so much more from scratch for Pesach. Good tools is a must.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics