Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Anything to help Ds 12 grow taller?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 6:42 pm
I’m hoping he’ll still get a growth spurt, but should I try anything? Like hormonal shots? What else is there to do?

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:31 pm
Just don't do hormones. I have a good friend who's niece grew in the width instead of the length as a side effect. She was tiny skinny girl.
Eta: I'm saying this as a mother who has very short 16 year old. Dr only wanted me to do hormones. I refused. Dc had a growth spurt between ages 14-15. Still pretty short but ok. I later learned from my mil that her kids always had a growth spurt that age. While I'd love for dc to be a good few inches taller I ain't giving hormones.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:50 pm
What else is there to do alternative? I also have...

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:52 pm
If your child is isn't already eating well, sleeping well and exercising, then you can work on that. They all help with growth.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:54 pm
Growth hormones are very expensive, you won't get it covered unless he has a real deficiency. You need to do extensive testing. We just went through the whole process and didn't get approved. Also supposedly if they don't have an actual deficiency the hormones won't do anything.

always.happy

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:55 pm
Doctors will not prescribe hormones just because, nor will insurance cover it.
Test are required to find out if there are reasons.

You can ask an endo to have bone age test done to determine projected height.
Some kids are late bloomers.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:57 pm
If you read Yiddish, Hamaspik Gazette gave out a book with a chapter on how to help short children grow taller.
Can be very useful.
if you pm me, I will send you their suggestions.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:58 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
If you read Yiddish, Hamaspik Gazette gave out a book with a chapter on how to help short children grow taller.
Can be very useful.
if you pm me, I will send you their suggestions.

Hi I’m not OP but would like the info too. Can you post it?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 8:12 pm
Lots of protein.

gootlfriends

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 8:18 pm
First of all do blood work. Then you can know if there is anything that needs to be done. For now make sure he has good food to eat with lots of protein. Limit junk food because that might prevent his eating enough good food. Out if curiosity, what is his height and weight? And was his doctor concerned last check-up?

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 8:23 pm
I'd love to see the article referenced above. Can you post under your username so that I could PM you? Thanks

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 8:48 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Growth hormones are very expensive, you won't get it covered unless he has a real deficiency. You need to do extensive testing. We just went through the whole process and didn't get approved. Also supposedly if they don't have an actual deficiency the hormones won't do anything.

Im so surprised to hear this. Ive been told that in boys sleepaway camps theres a long line by the nurses office every night for boys who get their growth hormone shot (2 people told me this, as a way to show me that its not an uncommon thing)...

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 8:49 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
Im so surprised to hear this. Ive been told that in boys sleepaway camps theres a long line by the nurses office every night for boys who get their growth hormone shot (2 people told me this, as a way to show me that its not an uncommon thing)...

That's odd, unless they were exaggerating. Maybe some kids claim it's for growth hormones when it's really for meds or something else. According to my doctor it's very hard to get approved and it's not common to actually be deficient.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 8:50 pm
It's $1,000-$5,000 a month I doubt most people are just paying for it out of pocket.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 8:59 pm
Did you go to an endocrinologist? They will do a bone xray and bloodwork.

My ds took Anastrozole for a while. It's a tiny pill.

My ds was in the low teen percentile all his life. He went on Anastrozole. By 6 months ago he grew over 3.5 inches. His percentile went up to the 20s, bh. (This was over the summer)

Please note: I was warned that he may have grown this without any intervention, but his expected growth with no intervention was 5 2".

We also wanted ds to always know that we tried our best to do something about his height. I have some Male family members that are under 5 4" and they aren't to happy about it.

Bh today dc is 16 and is just over 5 4". He is stopped taking Anastrozole. Hopefully he will grow a bit more.

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 9:01 pm
gootlfriends wrote:
First of all do blood work. Then you can know if there is anything that needs to be done. For now make sure he has good food to eat with lots of protein. Limit junk food because that might prevent his eating enough good food. Out if curiosity, what is his height and weight? And was his doctor concerned last check-up?

last checkup about 4 months ago, he was 4'8'' and about 70-75lb (don't remember exactly)

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 9:08 pm
From some google research here are some non-hormone suggestions:

Protein - especially milk which contains calcium and vit. D for strong bones

and Eggs

Multi Vitamin + a ZINC vitamin

high impact exercise - like running, jumping, basketball (jumping).

Ever notice basketball players and runners are very tall?- they weren't as kids.

high impact exercise causes tiny stress fractures, that add bone when they heal.

Yoga, doing stretching exercise, hanging from arms, standing on head (loosens spine)

Getting 9 - 10 hours of sleep for growing kids

Do NOT lift heavy weights as that compresses the spine.

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 9:28 pm
He’s only 12… why not give it some time?
My DH was the shortest kid in his class at his bar mitzvah and now he’s 6 ft. Didn’t take anything, just did his growing later.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 11:16 pm
Wow thank you all! Dr wasn’t concerned but he said he’s in the 10 percentile. Meaning the other 90 are taller than him. He also gave me a referral to an endocrinologist. But I wanted to do some research first. Bh he eats very well. Likes good healthy food. But he doesn’t move a limb!! Besides going down the block to his bus stop. He’s the child that can sit and read or draw for hours without getting tired. He doesn’t sleep too much either. I try that he be in bed for 10. Ok, so will get him to do some stretches. Should I get that over the door bar?? Or just teach him some yoga steps? I appreciate all advice!

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 11:19 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
From some google research here are some non-hormone suggestions:

Protein - especially milk which contains calcium and vit. D for strong bones

and Eggs

Multi Vitamin + a ZINC vitamin

high impact exercise - like running, jumping, basketball (jumping).

Ever notice basketball players and runners are very tall?- they weren't as kids.

high impact exercise causes tiny stress fractures, that add bone when they heal.

Yoga, doing stretching exercise, hanging from arms, standing on head (loosens spine)

Getting 9 - 10 hours of sleep for growing kids

Do NOT lift heavy weights as that compresses the spine.

Agree

Zinc!!

Protein

Milk is not a good source of calcium though

Curious about the basketball players, is it true?
dh is very tall and plays, but only started after 16
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children