Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
What age did you let your daughter have/attend a sleepover?
Previous  1  2

What age would you allow your child to attend a sleepover?
 11%  [ 7 ]
 11%  [ 7 ]
 11%  [ 7 ]
 24%  [ 15 ]
10+  
 40%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 61

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 5:46 am
My kids have all had sleepovers at their grandparents from a young age. They beg to go because they love the individual attention and have a special bond with all of their grandparents.

At 5 I certainly wouldn't send to a friend's house for a sleepover. I allow friend sleepovers once they are middle school age and are fairly independent and likely already going to sleepaway camp. We do a safety talk before the first sleepover so they understand that they can call home whatever time they need to if they feel uncomfortable for any reason. We start with non-Shabbos sleepovers first with local friends so that they know we're right nearby and only a phone call away.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:55 am
I don't consider sleeping at grandparents a "sleepover". Sleepover generally means sleeping over at a friend's house for the fun of it.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:42 am
I'd say depends on the kid and which family.

I'd say elementary school age (like around 2nd or 3rd grade) is probably fine. But again depends on the kid and which family.

I also don't consider sleeping at an aunt when the parents need to go away or sleeping at grandparents count as sleepovers.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:48 am
It depends on the kid, but in general I allow with a good friend starting in 2nd grade. It has to be a family we know well and are comfortable with hashkafically in order for us to allow our child to sleep there. If I am not, then we invite the child to sleep over at our house and if it works well, we as parents get to know the other family better, like inviting them for Shabbos meals, before we let our child go to their house.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 8:00 am
My first grader has sleepovers at my house only.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 8:07 am
I had my first sleepover with friends in 5th grade I think I would do the same for my kids.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 8:44 am
13 for my first dd, 14 for my second.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:39 am
I always have preferred playdates at our home first, before I let my kids go to them. Some families I know/ friendly with mother so I have a better grasp on where the child is going. Also it depends on the child; DD1 & DD2 I let go to a sleep over together at ages 7 / 9, but DS I wont let go until... he is much older!

Golde

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 3:17 am
amother OP wrote:
My 5 year old won’t stop begging me and I know it’s way to young. I’m just wondering what the average age most people would allow it?

My DD slept over at a friend's once when she was 5. Then from 1st grade it's been a regular reoccurrence.
It's quite common in my community and the kids love it.

singsong

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 3:41 am
I allow sleepovers as soon as the child is old enough to do things for themselves and not be a nuisance - dress themselves, be able to wipe themselves in the bathroom, etc. Usually around age 6-7.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers