Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How safe are tea lights?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 11:00 am
We are typically home for Friday night meal, but we are invited out for Shabbos dinner this week. I am concerned to leave my Shabbos candles burning. How safe are tea lights? I have little glass holders for them.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 11:05 am
I often light tea lights. How many do you light? What would affect the risk.

Also, can you light where you're eating dinner? (I learned one can light where they sleep or eat dinner friday night)

nicole81

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 11:11 am
I light them in my stainless steel sink to minimize risk.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 12:09 pm
Whene er we are invited out after candle lighting, I light in the sink.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 12:09 pm
When I was single, I would weekly light Shabbos candles and then go out to shul and to eat. Never once did I have any issue.

Today I leave a yahrzeit candle burning when necessary without worrying about it.

You leave them on a fireproof surface, without anything flammable in the immediate vicinity, and the risk is minimal. Especially with tea lights, which are small, low and enclosed.

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 12:11 pm
There's a risk of fire with any type of candle. Put your lights on a non-combustible, non-heat-conducting surface like glass, ceramic or stone, three feet or more away from any combustible materials. If you can put them in something like a wide glass bowl or empty aquarium on said non-combustible surface, so much the better.

Frumme

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 12:27 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I light them in my stainless steel sink to minimize risk.

This

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 12:31 pm
The little glass holders make them pretty safe. Just make sure nothing can fall on them and that they are on a tray or other non combustible surface.

Tea lights close together can cause a flashover which is very scary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note