Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
I want to make my Chulent in the oven

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 9:39 am
Can someone tell me exactly what to do so it’s cooked well and not dried out for shabbos morning?
I usually do it in the crockpot…
Also I keep my oven on shabbos mode so it turns off 1.5 hours after shabbos begins so our Friday night food is warm.
How would I be able to serve warm food on Friday night if I use the oven for Chulent?
( I thought I learned that we can’t open the oven to take things out on shabbos when it’s on… I guess that’s not accurate because people are keeping their ovens on to keep chulent hot…)
I really need detailed instructions.
Thanks!

advocate

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 9:45 am
AYLOR but I don't think you can do both.

Good Shabbos!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 9:50 am
advocate wrote:
AYLOR but I don't think you can do both.

Good Shabbos!

Thank you! I agree with you. I’m just wondering how people keep their food warm for Friday night if they keep Chulent in oven. And is it okay to open oven and take Chulent out on shabbos day?

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:02 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! I agree with you. I’m just wondering how people keep their food warm for Friday night if they keep Chulent in oven. And is it okay to open oven and take Chulent out on shabbos day?

They use a plata hot plate on a timer for the Friday night meal.

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:23 am
Or they put a blech on their gas stove.

scruffy

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:24 am
Or they have a warming drawer.

scintilla

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:29 am
I make it in the oven in a strong disposable pan, between carpools has a recipe. Then I put it on the blech. Comes out delicious! No pot to wash, the best.

nicole81

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:36 am
amother OP wrote:

While there are probably differing opinions, I hold that you can open the oven and take something out once. So on shabbos day I would take out the cholent but isn't eaten right away wouldn't be able to go back in the oven. I'd keep food warm with a hotplate or in a second oven, double wrapped.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:37 am
amother OP wrote:

People who keep their cholent in the oven do not use the same oven for their Friday night meal. It is not okay to take out the food Friday night and leave the cholent to keep cooking. That is why so many people use crock pots for their cholent, or they have a double oven (separate door for each) or a warming drawer+ oven or put their Friday night food or the cholent on a hot plate and the other in the oven.

WitchKitty

Post Sat, Jan 21 2023, 11:43 am
I don't know the halachos, but our rav holds it's not a problem to take things out while leaving others in on shabbos.

amother
Chicory

Post Sat, Jan 21 2023, 7:00 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
I don't know the halachos, but our rav holds it's not a problem to take things out while leaving others in on shabbos.

Same.
On Friday night, we take the soup out first, and leave the rest in.
This is on shabbos mode. The oven goes off after the meal.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 21 2023, 11:20 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
Same.
On Friday night, we take the soup out first, and leave the rest in.
This is on shabbos mode. The oven goes off after the meal.

You should ask someone but years ago I learned that you cannot open the oven while it’s on and if it gets opened accidentally all the food must be taken out at the same time.
Which is why I had the original question about leaving the Chulent in the oven overnight…
I ended up cooking the chulent in the oven and transferring to the crockpot right before shabbos.

creditcards

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 10:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can someone tell me exactly what to do so it’s cooked well and not dried out for shabbos morning?
I usually do it in the crockpot…
Also I keep my oven on shabbos mode so it turns off 1.5 hours after shabbos begins so our Friday night food is warm.
How would I be able to serve warm food on Friday night if I use the oven for Chulent?
( I thought I learned that we can’t open the oven to take things out on shabbos when it’s on… I guess that’s not accurate because people are keeping their ovens on to keep chulent hot…)
I really need detailed instructions.
Thanks!

You can take it out when it's on Shabbos mode but you can't put it back in. And you also can't open it to take out some food and leave the rest for later. I have my cholent in the oven, but the food I need at night I put on my blech.

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 10:22 pm
scintilla wrote:
I make it in the oven in a strong disposable pan, between carpools has a recipe. Then I put it on the blech. Comes out delicious! No pot to wash, the best.

So you keep the cholent on the blech all Friday night and shabbos day? Till lunch? Please explain

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 5:16 am
WitchKitty wrote:

I tried to find out more. I believe this is because the shabbos mode in the oven turns off the thermostat so opening and closing the door doesn't change anything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen