Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Shiva call to person that I don’t know from zoom class

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 12:46 pm
There is a woman in my community that attends some zoom shuirim classes that I attend. Her mother sometimes attended one of the classes. She doesn’t know me. Her mother passed away. Is it weird to pay a shiva call to this woman?

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 12:48 pm
No its not weird. Its kind. As long as you stay for 5 minutes max, and just say I was sorry to hear of your loss. And don't ask personal questions because you don't know her.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 1:00 pm
I'm sure she would appreciate it!

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:24 pm
Not weird at all. very thoughtful. just don't stay overlong (whether you know her or not) and obey all other etiquette rules of shiva like not showing up at 8:55 pm if shiva hours are from 9 am to 9pm.

What I remember most clearly from my shivas --aside from folks who told me amazing stories I never knew about my dear departed--were people who hung around all day (trust me, NOBODY appreciated that)or showed up at 9 pm and stuck around till 11. When it says shiva hours are X am to Y pm, it means that before Y pm you skedaddle, not "last customer will be seated at Y pm."

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:25 pm
Not at all, every call or text is appreciated.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 4:09 pm
I just went to a shiva last night for someone I only "know" from an occasional zoom class. Totally within reasonable etiquette

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 7:13 pm
that's lovely of you!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette