Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
My 10 year old son wants really expensive sneakers
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:28 pm
I can’t figure out what to do. He’s asking for sneakers that are like 100$. It seems obscene to me.. but maybe I’m out of touch. He’s my first boy. Girls ask for other things.. maybe this is boys equivalent?

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:29 pm
Doesn’t seem crazy to me.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:29 pm
Can you agree to pay for a certain amount in your budget and have him earn the remainder?

nelliesmellie

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:31 pm
That’s not obscene for boys sneakers. Especially if he’s in a yeshiva that has a dress code- it’s how they express themselves when the rest of their clothing needs to look more or less uniform. Let him earn some of it with household chores but don’t discount his “need” for them

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:36 pm
Thats within the normal range for good sneakers

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:39 pm
I think its a bit much peronally, but I would say the amount I would pay for and then he should pay for the rest.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:41 pm
$100 is cheap for sneakers .

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:43 pm
Wow no wonder people dont have savings making 300k.

Fabulous

Yeah unless you are finding on sale- sports companies that the boys like and even good quality ones like geox are between 75-120.

Oh and just wait till they are men’s size. My ds has been wearing men’s size since around age 11 and they are way more $$.

Last edited by Fabulous on Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Azure

Obviously $100 for sneakers is expensive.

However as OP posted, sneakers are how boys express themselves when they have so little opportunity otherwise.

In the realm of sneakers, $100 is not that expensive for status sneakers.

It isn't a question of good or bad in terms of actual quality - it is a question of how the brand is perceived by his peer group.

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:44 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
$100 is cheap for sneakers .

Really? My kids are young, but I don't even generally spend $100 on shoes for myself or my husband.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:47 pm
I spend 170 dollars for mine. I workout and I need good shoes

Fabulous

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:50 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
Really? My kids are young, but I don't even generally spend $100 on shoes for myself or my husband.

The sneakers that a lot of these kids like are upwards of $200

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:52 pm
Oops I was looking at the wrong ones apparently.. the ones he wants are closer to 140-50.
But thanks all for the perspective.. my first reaction was horror lol.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 4:05 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Yeah unless you are finding on sale- sports companies that the boys like and even good quality ones like geox are between 75-120.

Oh and just wait till they are men’s size. My ds has been wearing men’s size since around age 11 and they are way more $$.

True!

And what's worse is the couple years they grow out of their size within a couple months! I think in less than two years, my son went from a size 6-7 (which was a super hard size to find tbh) to a size 11.5 mens! (but thankfully, then they are done usually with their feet growing!) I was having to get rid of shoes with barely any wear on them!

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 4:06 pm
I have boys. They have a really boring dress code. They also asked for "cool" sneakers and were pretty specific about what they wanted. I got them the sneakers. It makes a huge difference to them and it's not like they ever ask for any other clothing/fashion item so why not. (Ps- they are both younger than your son lol)

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 4:14 pm
$100 sneakers are normal price range nowadays. Expensive sneakers are in the $200 range.

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 4:39 pm
For the people who are saying $100+ is normal for a 10 year old where do you live? I'm in Brooklyn and my 10 year old son who is very observant and cares about what he wears thankfully is happy with Nike, adidas, or under Armour sneakers which I can find for $40-50. Not to say I absolutely wouldn't buy him $100 sneakers if he really really wanted it but I definitely wouldn't think it was normal. I would have him earn it as a reward for something.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 4:42 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
For the people who are saying $100+ is normal for a 10 year old where do you live? I'm in Brooklyn and my 10 year old son who is very observant and cares about what he wears thankfully is happy with Nike, adidas, or under Armour sneakers which I can find for $40-50. Not to say I absolutely wouldn't buy him $100 sneakers if he really really wanted it but I definitely wouldn't think it was normal. I would have him earn it as a reward for something.

So we were there until this point …
He so so badly wants them I’m trying to work out something with him. At first I told him absolutely not.. I’m so not a spender!m But I realized I should ask around for perspective because I don’t know boys needs as well as I know girls at this stage.

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 4:56 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
Wow no wonder people dont have savings making 300k.

Seriously. I've never even spent $40 on my kids shoes. Oldest is $10. My husband's shoes are $75 tops. Mine are usually $25-30.

OP, if you can easily afford them and you want to spend the money, go ahead, but it really sounds insanely expensive and I can't understand how so many think it's normal.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics