Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Real estate prices got me down
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:51 pm
I’m sure this has been asked a million times. My post is partially to vent and partially to gather info:

Vent:
Are Jewish communities’ listings always more expensive? I cannot believe the price of homes at least in the NY/NJ area. My husband and I are house hunting particularly in Passaic/Clifton and I can’t believe how much we are going to dig into our savings for a down payment.

I look at non-frum homes in areas I have no need to live in and you get so much more bang for your buck there!

Gather info:
What OOT communities exist that are a bit lesser-known than Cleveland, Atlanta and Detroit? Preferably on the east side of the country. I’d particularly love to know about North Carolina and South Carolina - is there anything remotely relevant out there? My cousins but 10 acres for $100K in South Carolina.. ah!!!

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:03 pm
waterbury. not 10 acres for 100K but cheaper than other frum areas and still close to the frum communities on the east

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:08 pm
Was also gonna say Waterbury. You can get a decent size home for less than 300k. Sometime you get lucky and there are homes being sold by non frum brokers in the prime frum area for 250 or less.

For 400-500k you can usually get a nice large home that's updated.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:10 pm
North Miami Beach but make sure to buy in a frum community.

Hollywood FL

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:12 pm
Thanks so much! What’s the best place to pin in Google Maps to see properties in the frum area; is everything more or less centered around the yeshiva?

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:36 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
North Miami Beach but make sure to buy in a frum community.

Hollywood FL

These communities have become extremely expensive in the last couple of years, and you don't even get much house for your money. Definitely not what OP says she is looking for.

OP, North Carolina really doesn't have any established Jewish communities. South Carolina has Charleston, which does have a daily minyan and a couple of shuls and I believe a day school, but it's quite small and I don't believe very cheap.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:42 pm
Ask a current local where the edges of the frum area of North Miami Beach are, obviously not a real estate agent. Somewhere a couple of blocks inside that area is probably going to be cheaper than all the way inside.
Yes it's not as cheap as North Carolina but it still could be better than the northeast frum places, worth a look anyway. If you are looking to save on state income tax that helps too, just make sure to check what your home insurance bill will be before you buy, because that's usually the counterbalancing expense, though it probably won't be as much as you save from no state income tax.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 8:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much! What’s the best place to pin in Google Maps to see properties in the frum area; is everything more or less centered around the yeshiva?

For Waterbury look at zip 06710. The yeshiva is actually near one of the edges of the main area and there's a house that was just listed today right by it. South side start where Euclid ends/begins by cables. Southeast bound is where Columbia begins and Farmington starts. West bound is tower until Roseland, then at Roseland the west bound is Chapman and fiske. East bound is Cooke until Roseland, then Farmington up to about Herkimer. North bound of the main area is Calumet and then hecla between willow and fiske. But people do live north of there right up Farmington.

Then the Avalon area is in the same zip code. Look for kosher world on Cooke on a map. Across cooke you'll see a rounded block called Avalon circle. Anywhere along that semi circle or in between is Avalon. People have started moving on the kosher world side of Cooke on Herkimer. Maybe on moran and Robert too but I'm not 100%.

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 6:52 pm
Is the Waterbury community mostly yeshivish?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 8:27 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
Is the Waterbury community mostly yeshivish?

Yes. It's not Lakewood yeshivish, but it's definitely not a MO community.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 9:35 pm
You will pay a premium for being walking distance to a shul and within the eruv. Supply and demand.

It's worth remembering that housing is a huge part, but not the only part, of expenses. Buying a less expensive house but paying more in real estate taxes, tuition, transportation etc. isn't necessarily the best move.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:26 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
Yes. It's not Lakewood yeshivish, but it's definitely not a MO community.

Lots of JPF too. rwmo as long as not hardcore zionist would fit in fine. It's a very nice mix of serious torah and family centered frum folk.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 11:51 pm
Just bumping up with some good priced homes in Waterbury with the non frum brokers, under $300k

#1 has been on the market a while. It's on the border street of the frum area but you have frum families right across the street and tons in walking distance in 3 directions (just not directly south). The house doesnt need much updating and is likely very negotiable. https://www.zillow.com/homedet....._zpid

#2 just hit the market and is good for someone who is handy or wants to renovate over time. It's the same block as the other but more north so not on the border. A number of frum neighbors across the street. It's the last house on the block. On the next corner, every single house is frum in both directions. It's 3000 sq ft on about half an acre. It's selling well below market price because it needs work. But look at the zestimate... Consider even buying and flipping to a fellow jew! The house backs up to wonderful Jewish neighbors too in the back and side.

We'd love to bring in some more Jewish neighbors! You can't beat a home at under 300k which will go up in value as the neighborhood grows, which BH it's continuing to do.

2h to boston, 2h to NYC, 1.5h to Monsey, wonderful community that really all look to help each other out.

The price is right, come on down.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:20 am
I don't recommend the first. It's a corner house on willow and is directly across from the firehouse.
You didn't include a link to the second.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:52 am
If anyone is interested in Waterbury, definitely check out blue ridge. Many young families are moving in and some people are looking to sell.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 7:22 am
We’ve been thinking about Waterbury for a while but we are not ready to buy. How would we go about renting in the frum community there?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 1:30 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
Ask a current local where the edges of the frum area of North Miami Beach are, obviously not a real estate agent. Somewhere a couple of blocks inside that area is probably going to be cheaper than all the way inside.
Yes it's not as cheap as North Carolina but it still could be better than the northeast frum places, worth a look anyway. If you are looking to save on state income tax that helps too, just make sure to check what your home insurance bill will be before you buy, because that's usually the counterbalancing expense, though it probably won't be as much as you save from no state income tax.

No, just no. I'm a local and North Miami Beach has got to be one of the most expensive OOT communities in the US, with the least bang for your buck. People are paying 800-900+K for a tiny house that they then knock down and rebuild. Houses that are move-in -able are upwards of 1 million dollars and are small. think one floor (no upstairs, no basement) 3 small bedrooms, 2 baths and a small open living area.

The outskirts of the community are growing but also getting pretty expensive. Tiny houses in horrible condition in a not so safe (black) neighborhood for 6-700k.

I love living here and I love the community but I do not suggest looking into this neighborhood if you are upset about frum real estate prices.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 2:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m sure this has been asked a million times. My post is partially to vent and partially to gather info:

Vent:
Are Jewish communities’ listings always more expensive? I cannot believe the price of homes at least in the NY/NJ area. My husband and I are house hunting particularly in Passaic/Clifton and I can’t believe how much we are going to dig into our savings for a down payment.

I look at non-frum homes in areas I have no need to live in and you get so much more bang for your buck there!

Gather info:
What OOT communities exist that are a bit lesser-known than Cleveland, Atlanta and Detroit? Preferably on the east side of the country. I’d particularly love to know about North Carolina and South Carolina - is there anything remotely relevant out there? My cousins but 10 acres for $100K in South Carolina.. ah!!!

Demand always raises prices and orthodox areas are always in top demand.

petals

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 4:17 pm
Virginia

GLUE

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 4:31 pm
petals wrote:
Virginia

Were in Virginia it's a nice size state, can you narrow it down
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating