Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Vent! We just lost food stamps
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 7:22 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
I know it’s not the focus of this thread, BUT:
Can I just express my sadness and frustration about another woman needing to leave the world of chinuch because of finances?

As someone also in chinuch, my heart goes out to you. Yasher koach on putting in the time you did - Hashem should bentch you and your family. It’s a shame that lack of income is forcing you out.

I taught for 15 years. I make more money with my part time job on Sundays and summers than my “real” job. It is sad but we have no way to continue living like this. Even while on food stamps although we had plenty of food and insurance was free, we were barely making enough to cover our mortgage. We need more than what we were making too live but we don’t have anything fall back on to get us through these few years till I switch careers. It’s a big problem.

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:09 am
amother OP wrote:
We just lost food stamps, I am trying so hard to make more money so we could be independent. I went into the Chessed center for our monthly “shopping” and I was informed that the Chessed center is income based and we no longer can get the free food unless we reapply and get special permission. It’s not enough that we lost the $500 a month, now we make too much for a food pantry?! We also no longer qualify for free school lunches and my kids will no longer get the free hot meal. How much macaroni can we eat?
We made $50,000 for a family of 4. Yes this is our first year making too much for medicaid and food stamps so it’s new to me.
We just started the journey and I am so close to giving up. We already borrowed $10,000 to pay for health insurance for this year.
Tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel even if it will take another 2-3 years till we see a significant increase in money.
Otherwise, I don’t see how there is a value to living like paupers and being treated like we are now rich.

It's so so so hard. I can totally relate. I haven't qualified for anything in years and it's literally a catch 22 situation. You make too much for programs but too little to manage and then need to rely on tzedakah for basics. I literally can't afford the weekly grocery shopping and put mostly on credit, which we pay up with tzedakah closer to YT when we get help. It's the only way we can manage and there's simply no choice. It's so hard.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:24 am
If you have a medical kiddo you need to do everything in your power to stay on Medicaid. It’s really unfortunate but it’s the way things are. Talk to a qualified accountant.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics