Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Baby not wearing coat or socks
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 11:35 pm
amother Puce wrote:
Also I’m one of the ones who doesn’t always put coat and socks on my babies (assuming they’re over a year old). My DH is the one who is much more careful about kids being warm - since he is usually the cold one in the house and I’m not. I never wear a coat myself.

Same here!

Your mother is overreacting big time. Nobody will call CPS over a baby not wearing a coat and socks to walk to the car.
Waking up baby from a nap is annoying though but at least he is taking the baby out instead of waking him/ her up and then leaving you with the baby.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 11:41 pm
MommyPhD wrote:
Is this sarcasm?

No.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 11:49 pm
All you ladies who wrote that you can’t be bothered to put baby’s socks on, are being neglectful. Is it CPS worthy? Hopefully you have the rest in place, but a baby should be wearing a coat and socks. Babies have thinner skin and lose their heat much faster. Teach dad to dress her appropriately.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 12:01 am
Why do people on this website constantly constantly infantilize men, say how incapable they are, how clueless they are...

Op you are right. Your husband should have put the baby in socks and a coat. I dont think you overreacted. Why did he wake her up from a nap though? Thats strange.
My baby is 2 and she still takes a nap during the day. They need it or else they cant function well

NechaMom

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 12:16 am
amother OP wrote:
My DH has no practical sense for taking care of a baby at all. I do 99.9% of the childcare. Today I was taking a nap with her and he comes in and wakes me up and says he’s taking the baby to target with him. He also claims she doesn’t need to nap and that every time she’s napping I’m just forcing her to nap because I’m tired. He runs out the door before I fully wake up. I had a bad feeling (because I say her coat still hanging up) so I called to see what she was wearing. He is convinced a wool sweater is better than a coat . Turns out he left without socks on her in 30 degree weather, because he said he is just going from the car to the store. No coat. No socks . I am absolutely livid.
My mother keeps telling me I will lose the baby because someone will report us to CPS . I tell him things all the time but it’s like he doesn’t listen and I can’t trust him with the baby at all. The threats that I am going to lose the baby are making me crazy, I already work full time and do all the parenting. There is literally nothing else I can do, especially as my husband doesn’t listen to me

Rant over

How old is your baby?
I vote he definitely should’ve put on a coat and socks in 30 degrees weather!
It’s winter out!
Seems like you’re having some contradicting opinions regarding childcare and your mom’s comments are not helping things.
Would you both be open to getting guidance from a parenting expert?

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 12:32 am
Maybe I'm the exception, but in my marriage my husband and his mother are the overly careful ones and I'm not. They think I'm nuts that I let babies climb, allow them to self feed as soon as they start eating solids, and let them play in the dirt and eat a lot of it too. I've even occasionally woken up babies in order to run errands or visit people. I'm sure lots of women would say that I'm neglectful and maybe I actually have made mistakes that would have been avoided if I was more cautious like them. That doesn't mean that I'm not to be trusted.
I wish my husband and mil would understand that there's not one perfect way to parent and that I know what I'm doing. There are also real drawbacks to being overly cautious.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 12:36 am
amother Cerulean wrote:
Maybe I'm the exception, but in my marriage my husband and his mother are the overly careful ones and I'm not. They think I'm nuts that I let babies climb, allow them to self feed as soon as they start eating solids, and let them play in the dirt and eat a lot of it too. I've even occasionally woken up babies in order to run errands or visit people. I'm sure lots of women would say that I'm neglectful and maybe I actually have made mistakes that would have been avoided if I was more cautious like them. That doesn't mean that I'm not to be trusted.
I wish my husband and mil would understand that there's not one perfect way to parent and that I know what I'm doing. There are also real drawbacks to being overly cautious.

Yup I was also never the cautious first time mother.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 11:59 am
Whats wrong with some of the replies here?? Yes you and your mother have every right to be concerned. Your poor baby DOES need a coat and socks going out in the winter! The baby cant put one on by herself, major neglect in my opinion. And whats up with waking the baby to take her shopping??
I would drag him to a therapy session together.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 12:01 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Whats wrong with some of the replies here?? Yes you and your mother have every right to be concerned. Your poor baby DOES need a coat and socks going out in the winter! The baby cant put one on by herself, major neglect in my opinion. And whats up with waking the baby to take her shopping??

Meh. It sounds like the baby was wearing a wool sweater, was being held, and was only out in the cold for like a minute. In 30 degrees. Really not a big deal, whether a mom or a dad does it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 12:02 pm
A wool sweater in a heated car and heated store is just fine instead of a coat. I don't use coats for babies in car seats.

Socks I would have done but it's not the end of the world... Baby came home safe and sound. It was a minor health risk, not a major safety issue or negligence.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 12:13 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:

I’m one of those paranoid moms but in the car I don’t wear a coat as long as we keep the heat running. I definitely do put it on when leaving the car and would also be very upset if my husband would do this. The question though is why did he wake up a baby for this? Also the op said he is never around to do childcare so it seems part of the resentment stems from that.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 12:15 pm
amother Banana wrote:
I’m one of those paranoid moms but in the car I don’t wear a coat as long as we keep the heat running. I definitely do put it on when leaving the car and would also be very upset if my husband would do this. The question though is why did he wake up a baby for this? Also the op said he is never around to do childcare so it seems part of the resentment stems from that.

Yes, the concerning part for me also is waking up the baby, not helping, and making weird comments about normal things OP does (naps for baby!). Not a great dynamic.

Babies, in particular newborns, have less mature circulation but I am sure this kiddo was not in mortal danger from the epic Trip To Car Without Socks.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 12:16 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Meh. It sounds like the baby was wearing a wool sweater, was being held, and was only out in the cold for like a minute. In 30 degrees. Really not a big deal, whether a mom or a dad does it.

Brisket, I love your posts, so don’t take this personally. It’s seems that you run warm so your not so into keeping babies warm.
It’s really neglectful to not put on socks on a baby or a coat in 30 degrees weather. It’s worrisome and why should the baby suffer because their mom or dad couldn’t be bothered to dress them appropriately.

Phoebe31

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 12:17 pm
Baby should not be wearing a coat in the car anyways, quick in and out of the store a sweater is plenty

writinggirl

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 12:19 pm
Everyone here is getting so hung up on this one story, but it seems from the post that this is not an isolated incident. OP, has your husband done other impulsive things with the baby against your will?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics