Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can I add a bit of water to bottle after starting solids?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:13 am
baby is 8 months old and eats some solids. Is it ok if I add a little bit of water to his bottle? mixed with breastmilk.

I know they say no water unless eating solids.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:14 am
Why would you do that?

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:16 am
amother OP wrote:
baby is 8 months old and eats some solids. Is it ok if I add a little bit of water to his bottle? mixed with breastmilk.

I know they say no water unless eating solids.

Why would you do this?

If hes still thirsty after bottle, give plain water.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:20 am
Because the babysitter says he needs more because he finishes bottle so quickly (even though he is very happy afterward and doesn't seem to need more) so I would add like a half ounce

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:24 am
I wouldn't do that.
How much food is he eating? How many ounces of breastmilk are you giving?

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:24 am
amother OP wrote:
Because the babysitter says he needs more because he finishes bottle so quickly (even though he is very happy afterward and doesn't seem to need more) so I would add like a half ounce

If baby really needs more, give more...don't dilute the breastmilk. Explain to the babysitter that baby has enough.

At this point it's helpful to drink a little water alongside solids but you don't need it at other times. Milk feedings are still primary and they have the right amount of water

momof2+?

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:25 am
My child same age has a sippy cup with water that he drinks during solid food meal time. I nurse him separately.
The doctors don’t want us giving our babies water bec it is a no-calorie drink that may make them fuller and they won’t gain weight as well as they should be. If your baby is eating/drinking well at this age, I see no problem with giving him some water. He may not like the taste of watered down milk.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:38 am
I am pretty confident he is getting enough. He seems happy after and can go till his next feeding without a problem.

My babies eat quickly and yes, they finish their bottles. She thinks that means he needs more.
I guess I will explain to her again.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:40 am
momof2+? wrote:
My child same age has a sippy cup with water that he drinks during solid food meal time. I nurse him separately.
The doctors don’t want us giving our babies water bec it is a no-calorie drink that may make them fuller and they won’t gain weight as well as they should be. If your baby is eating/drinking well at this age, I see no problem with giving him some water. He may not like the taste of watered down milk.

My milk is very very thick and rich, so I don't think adding half ounce of water would affect the taste, and he is gaining very nicely bh.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:41 am
Then just add plain water after the bottle is empty and give it.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:54 am
As an aside, it's good for the baby to learn to drink plain water when thirsty.

At this age, the bottle is still for calories, in other words, its his food, though it usually quenches thirst as well.

I would leave
bottle = calories(food)
Water = thirst

[Make sure he's not still hungry though. ]

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 11:22 am
amother OP wrote:
My milk is very very thick and rich, so I don't think adding half ounce of water would affect the taste, and he is gaining very nicely bh.

Curious how much?

I have an 8m old and was taking only 3oz until recently. Always made problems with taking the bottle.
I upped it it 3.5 cuz it can't be baby doesn't need more at this age.

I imagine baby eats more after I come home from work bec baby is quite big for its age.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:11 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Curious how much?

I have an 8m old and was taking only 3oz until recently. Always made problems with taking the bottle.
I upped it it 3.5 cuz it can't be baby doesn't need more at this age.

I imagine baby eats more after I come home from work bec baby is quite big for its age.

His bottles are like double that lol

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am pretty confident he is getting enough. He seems happy after and can go till his next feeding without a problem.

My babies eat quickly and yes, they finish their bottles. She thinks that means he needs more.
I guess I will explain to her again.

So give more milk. If your baby wants more milk then give them more. ( breastmilk or formula)

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:14 pm
amother OP wrote:

Don’t water it down. Give him more milk, not watered down milk.
Give a sippy cup as well for thirst.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:14 pm
Do not dilute bottles. Give her food to feed him or a extra bottle. Or tell her too bad. There is no reason to add water to bottles just to please her, the baby gains nothing, and it’s not safe.

essie14

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 9:36 pm
Don't please the babysitter.
I would never dilute breastmilk. He can drink water on its own if he's thirsty.
Under 1 year, solids are just for practice. Breastmilk/formula is where he's getting the majority of his calories. Don't dilute that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:49 am
amother Currant wrote:
So give more milk. If your baby wants more milk then give them more. ( breastmilk or formula)

He is getting enough and is full from it. My babies are just eaters, they would take 12 oz if you give it. He is gaining beautifully and is happy until the next feeding, so I really see no reason to give more than he needs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics