Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Obergine Dip

songbliss

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 9:15 am
I have a few recipies for shabbos salads:

Chatzilim/Obergine dip:

What you need:

1) A cooler rack ( I'm not sure how to describe it, but it is similar to what
you would cool you're challahs on, but this one fits over you're stove,
also you dont have to use it, its just easier.)

2) 1-3 Obergine's/eggplant, (The big black ones, not the skinny purple
ones) (depends how much you want..)

3) 1 pair of tongs (optional) or you can use a fork

4) 1 bowl

5) 1 handblender

What to do:

Turn you're stove/burner on to the highest heat.

Place obergine onto the burner.

Wait until the skin is completely burnt on that side, and then turn it over, (make sure to use something coz its HOT!). When you are done the entire skin should be burnt.

you then place the obergine into a plastic bag and tye it up tightly (choking the obergine...). Leave it to cool.

Once its cooled remove the obergine from the bag and rince off all of the burnt skin under a tap.

Now you put the obergine into a bowl and blend with a hand-blender

If you see that you come out with too much, or more than you need take out whatever you want, and store the rest in a bag in the freezer for another week. (make sure to do this before you season it!)

You then season the obergine dip using the following:

mayonaise
salt
crushed garlic
1tsp lemon juice
chopped fresh corriandor (optional)

since this is a sephardic food the seasoning is normaly added to taste... but I will try to advise as best as possible.

add mayonaise 1 tbsp at a time, until the color seems to be a light brown. taste it as you add and when it seems to be enough stop adding it.

mix them together

add a pinch of salt

crush 1-2 cloves of garlic per obergine used

add to the mixture

add lemon

add coriandor

mix & test if it tasts ok, if not, try adding another pinch of salt.

if you make it without lemon it wont tast right

ruthanne

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 10:30 am
Sounds delicious! When I broil the aubergine (note sp. Wink ) in the oven they dont come out a burnt tasting. The only thing is I can't stand the mess all over my stove when doing it on top. Maybe I'll do it before my cleaner does the stove.

songbliss

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 10:20 am
ruthanne wrote:
Sounds delicious! When I broil the aubergine (note sp. Wink ) in the oven they dont come out a burnt tasting. The only thing is I can't stand the mess all over my stove when doing it on top. Maybe I'll do it before my cleaner does the stove.

if you cover the metal piece under the stove (I dunno what its called) with silver foil you'll save the mess

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 1:53 am
I broil the aubergines in the oven and they come out mighty burned and smokey tasting. My broiler has a HI and a LOW setting. I choose HI. I wash the vegetable and prick it all over with a fork. I put the aubergine on a foil-lined baking rack and let it go till charred on one side. Then I turn it over and do the other side as well. After it cools a bit, I split it open and scoop out the pulp, including some of the inner charred skin, for that smokey flavor.

I mix it with tehina, parsley, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Very yummy.

If you don't mind making the aubergine fleishig, you can do the whole thing outside on the grill as well.

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 1:59 pm
Yum! One of my all-time fav salatim!

I put the eggplant right on top of the fire on the stove and rotate it till it gets soft on all sides.

Then you cut it open, and with a fork scrape out the insides and put in a drainer.

While the eggplant is draining I make FRESH MAYO - it is very simple! 2 egg yolks per 1 large eggplant. Blend the yolks and gradually add VEG OIL (only the size of about a penny each time) till it takes on a mayo consistency. Then add a drop of vinegar.

Then you mix the drained eggplant with the fresh mayo and add some minced garlic and a bit of salt to taste.

Tahini is great too!

montrealmommy

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 2:41 pm
I do something similar to the above posters, 2 variations I have are:

1 fo an egg free version,
in a blender place 1-3 cloves garlic (per eggplant), add a few drops lemon juice, salt and pepper
slowly drizzle in oil (while machine is running) until enough oil is added and it has become a smooth emulsion - add to eggplant in place of mayo

quick and easy version:
dice 1 large onion, 1 eggplant and 2 cloves garlic; place all in a heated pan with about 1 Tblsp oil, saute until eggplant is cooked through and soft. Season with salt, pepper and parley
PLace in blender to puree, add lemon juice and adjust seasoning to taste (it usually takes me less than 10 min. to make this and there is no xtra liquid b/c it cooks off!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics