Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Are you hearing of severe cases? (UK)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 7:48 am
My aunt was diagnosed with Covid 3 weeks ago. She is 65 years old and in great health, no underlying conditions, non smoker, not overweight, plays tennis seriously and other sports including water skiing. She's extremely fit!
She is fully vaccinated and this is the first time she's had Covid. She had severe symptoms and was bed-ridden at home for over a week before being rushed to hospital in an ambulance. After a few days on oxygen and I don't know what other treatment, she is now back home with a lot of medicine and is still extremely weak to the point that she can't hold a conversation.

Have you heard of other cases like this? I have to say, that for a while now I've only been hearing of mild cases, many times no worse than a cold, including my father in his late 70's.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 2:39 am
I've just found out that my cousin (the son of this aunt who is currently staying with her) has also been badly affected by Covid. Doctors have told him to expect to recover in 5 weeks or more.
He's 30 and very fit and healthy (plays sport internationally.)

Is there a particularly bad strain going around at the moment? I really haven't heard of anyone being this badly affected fora long while. Has anyone else heard of cases like this recently?

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 4:12 am
Last year in February, I already had two jabs (or three don't remember) and I got COVID. I exercised 3/4 times a week and ate healthily and yet I was terribly sick. I got a high fever, shortness of breath, coughing, and everything I was shocked it affected me! Didn't have to go to the hospital or something like that BH, but you can indeed become really sick even though u were fully vaccinated. Vaccination doesn't mean you are immune it only means that the virus might not hit you hard. So, if I wasn't vaxxed I might have had to go to the hospital or could I have had long covid etc... with a vaccine I was sick for a week and I was OK.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 6:50 am
amother OP wrote:
My aunt was diagnosed with Covid 3 weeks ago. She is 65 years old and in great health, no underlying conditions, non smoker, not overweight, plays tennis seriously and other sports including water skiing. She's extremely fit!
She is fully vaccinated and this is the first time she's had Covid. She had severe symptoms and was bed-ridden at home for over a week before being rushed to hospital in an ambulance. After a few days on oxygen and I don't know what other treatment, she is now back home with a lot of medicine and is still extremely weak to the point that she can't hold a conversation.

Have you heard of other cases like this? I have to say, that for a while now I've only been hearing of mild cases, many times no worse than a cold, including my father in his late 70's.

Some people who had many doses of the vaccine now have a weakened immune system.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 3:13 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
you can indeed become really sick even though u were fully vaccinated. Vaccination doesn't mean you are immune it only means that the virus might not hit you hard. So, if I wasn't vaxxed I might have had to go to the hospital or could I have had long covid etc... with a vaccine I was sick for a week and I was OK.

Yeah I realise how the vaccines work and that you can still get sick if you're vaccinated, I was just asking if there is a new, worse strain going around because all the cases I heard of within the last year at least were relatively mild whether the person was vaccinated or not, so it was a shock to hear that these two relatives of all people have been so badly affected.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 3:21 pm
amother Orange wrote:
Some people who had many doses of the vaccine now have a weakened immune system.

Yes, this has been scientifically confirmed.
Google it.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 3:58 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
Yes, this has been scientifically confirmed.
Google it.

That's if they have the vaccine every 3 or 4 months.

From Medical news today and various sites Dec 2022
However, there have been concerns from some European regulators that giving COVID-19 booster shots too frequently could weaken the immune response to the vaccination. This is not the same as weakening a person’s immune system overall.

Regulators argued against booster doses every 3–4 months, saying that overloading the immune system with repeated immunization could dampen the response. The immune system may need time to process the information from initial vaccinations to respond optimally to boosters.However, at present, there is limited data on this topic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics