Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Please help my friend find two old Jewish songs

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 4:03 pm
Hi,
A friend is desperately trying to find two old songs from the '70s or 80s. One is about Ezra and had the words, "it was time for new beginnings for a man and chose to return," "and Ezra stood on a stone and from a scroll he read"

The other song is about the marranos and had the words, "Maria told the New York man it's a family custom and for centuries we've done it just this way on Friday night. Each woman took two candles to a darkened room."

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
And, no, they're not Destiny songs 🤣

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 4:13 pm
The first song is from a tape called The Next Generation / The Iron Butterfly, I think Reuven Stone one of my favorites

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 4:22 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
The first song is from a tape called The Next Generation / The Iron Butterfly, I think Reuven Stone one of my favorites

Yes!!!! Thanks so much!!!! That's the first one!!! So appreciated!!

anyone know the Maria one? Very Happy

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 4:28 pm
Following.
I want to find them now as Destiny and Journeys are my favorite and these are unknown to me and seem fit right into my genre.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 4:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes!!!! Thanks so much!!!! That's the first one!!! So appreciated!!

anyone know the Maria one? Very Happy

I'm guessing it from Destiny but it's a guess

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 5:16 pm
The second sounds similar to the lonero family from destiny but the words don't sound right. Are those the correct words? Because it sounds also similar to 'the treasure', another destiny song.
The words do sound very like Destiny. Do you remember any other words from the song? Could it be on a JEP album? Trying to think of old albums that would have that style song.
The Next Generation-the Iron Butterfly (the album the first song is from) is a really nice album, it's one of my favorites. There's also Rocky Zweig's Legacy which I love.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 5:25 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
The second sounds similar to the lonero family from destiny but the words don't sound right. Are those the correct words? Because it sounds also similar to 'the treasure', another destiny song.
The words do sound very like Destiny. Do you remember any other words from the song? Could it be on a JEP album? Trying to think of old albums that would have that style song.
The Next Generation-the Iron Butterfly (the album the first song is from) is a really nice album, it's one of my favorites. There's also Rocky Zweig's Legacy which I love.

Definitely not the Lonero Family. Afaik it isn't a destiny song
Does Rocky Zweig have a song about Marranos?

it’s okay!

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 5:28 pm
Do you have the google app? You can sing a song and the app recognizes the song.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 5:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Definitely not the Lonero Family. Afaik it isn't a destiny song
Does Rocky Zweig have a song about Marranos?

No, his songs didn't, they were more focused on the aftermath of the holocaust and the legacy that was left.
The other performer that comes to mind is Gershon Veroba and his variations, but I know those well and there's no marrano song on the albums.
Is there any context to the song, like where it might have been heard and any other songs also? I know most of the old jewish english songs and I can't place it. Could it have been sung at a show or similar?
I don't know the female artists that well-what about Kineret?
There's also Chaim Fogelman and Moshe Yess but I don't remember either of them having such a song. And shlock rock(not really their style I know)?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 6:31 pm
The chorus goes something like this:
Marrano converso so was their name from the Spanish inquisition they would hide themselves away the places they go the secrets they know Marrano

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 7:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
The chorus goes something like this:
Marrano converso so was their name from the Spanish inquisition they would hide themselves away the places they go the secrets they know Marrano

I'm thinking was there any children story tapes about marranos?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 7:28 pm
Hmmm - good thinking!!
Any Shmuel kunda?
Or does Rebbe Hill inquisition have songs on it?

farmom

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:03 pm
Maybe it's a JEP song
They had songs of that type, in that time period

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:07 pm
Not a jep song

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:21 pm
The second song is Moranno by Joel Sussman

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:50 pm
OMG!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!
My friend runs a Hebrew school program and has been looking for these lyrics for over a week. Really really appreciate!!!!
Safam!!!! Who would've thunk!!!! 🤔

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 9:24 pm
Honestly I never even heard of the song. I just put the few words u posted into google and got the answer with the song.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 9:25 pm
I tried googling the lyrics too but had no luck so tizki l'mitzvos!!!!!
Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts