Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby wipes on shabbos
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:38 pm
I’m BT and had no idea until I asked to borrow wipes from another mother at kiddush that people don’t use baby wipes on shabbos. I have so much trouble with this concept. How do you get babies clean when they make? What is this spray everyone’s talking about. Is it just water? I can’t imagine that getting my baby clean, especially when it’s not shabbos I often have to bathe her after she makes . Is this something I’ve got to take on? I can’t handle I’m really struggling right now. Personally and it’s making me uninspired with my yiddishkeit. My big reach is just trying to daven every so often and be my watchful about what hechshers I’ll hold by. Honestly, im feeling maxed out in every area of my life and im trying to hold on to being Torah observant by a thread . Not being able to use baby wipes seems like it would just shoot my remaining motivation in the foot . Also before you say talk to your rav, im pretty intimidated to talk to my rav . I feel like I’m so far from the derech I’m supposed to be on he’d be disgusted . Outwardly I look like the perfect frum yeshivish wife but inwardly…I don’t know anything and it’s getting discouraging .

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:40 pm
We use baby wipes. Many people use. It just can't be too wet.

Phoebe31

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:41 pm
Do you have a rabbi you can speak to and ask him about wipes on shabbos? Many people hold that it is totally fine to use them, myself included! Granted I’m not yeshivish at all but my husband’s father says they’re fine and he is yeshivish.
It sounds like you’re very overwhelmed by a lot of things, no need to add chomros to your already full plate.

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:43 pm
This is a very ask your LOR question.
We don't use them- we shake on some baby oil and wipe it off and it works well.

scruffy

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:43 pm
I'm yeshivish. Our rav told us to use Costco (Kirkland) wipes on Shabbos.

bunchagirlies

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:52 pm
Most people I know use wipes Shabbos. I'm very chassidish. But I only use the sleek sensation wipes for Shabbos. They are very thin and approved for Shabbos use.
Many people use regular wipes, with rabbinical approval. Please relax. don't let this stress you out!

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:56 pm
I think the ones made from cotton are not allowed and the ones made of polyester are allowed. I use target brand for shabbos

imasinger

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:57 pm
Definitely worth asking your LOR.

smolka613

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 9:00 pm
We listened to a very convincing shiur on the subject and now we do not use baby wipes on shabbos. Instead, first I'll wipe him with dry toilet paper to get the excess poo off and then I'll wash him more thoroughly in the sink. Honestly I like washing him off better than the baby wipes and I've started doing that during the week too. The rubbing from the baby wipes gave him diaper rash and they just didn't clean very well, especially when he started solids. Also I'm actually thinking about installing a bidet lol.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 9:13 pm
Our rav said if there are no other wipes around we can use the Huggies. But in monsey groceries they sell shabbos wipes. They’re not as wet, but they smell delicious.

My mom didn’t use wipes for her babies, idk how she managed.

If doing one stringent thing will make you drop it all, I think it’s a no brainer to find a lenient route for yourself.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 9:33 pm
It's an issue of squeezing on shabbos. I've lived in a few communities and overall this is what I've seen:
Many people do not use wipes, and many people do use wipes.

Personally, our (yeshivish talmid chochom Smile rav advised us to squeeze them out before shabbos.

-Take a big stack of wipes out of the package
-Over the sink, squeeze a few times, hard, until no more drips come out.
-place in ziploc bag and you're good to go Smile

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 9:37 pm
Someone I know went to his rav and said don’t tell me not to use wipes because I need to. Which ones should I use? He brought a few companies and the rav said to use the Kirkland ones, as they are least wet I think

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 9:37 pm
scruffy wrote:
I'm yeshivish. Our rav told us to use Costco (Kirkland) wipes on Shabbos.

We use those as well. Or you could buy the Frum brands that have a permissible to use on Shabbos heter.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:01 pm
Some people use, some people don’t. We don’t but found that a baby spray together with dry wipes (look on Amazon) works well on shabbos.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m BT and had no idea until I asked to borrow wipes from another mother at kiddush that people don’t use baby wipes on shabbos. I have so much trouble with this concept. How do you get babies clean when they make? What is this spray everyone’s talking about. Is it just water? I can’t imagine that getting my baby clean, especially when it’s not shabbos I often have to bathe her after she makes . Is this something I’ve got to take on? I can’t handle I’m really struggling right now. Personally and it’s making me uninspired with my yiddishkeit. My big reach is just trying to daven every so often and be my watchful about what hechshers I’ll hold by. Honestly, im feeling maxed out in every area of my life and im trying to hold on to being Torah observant by a thread . Not being able to use baby wipes seems like it would just shoot my remaining motivation in the foot . Also before you say talk to your rav, im pretty intimidated to talk to my rav . I feel like I’m so far from the derech I’m supposed to be on he’d be disgusted . Outwardly I look like the perfect frum yeshivish wife but inwardly…I don’t know anything and it’s getting discouraging .

I’m a convert. I know the feeling of being blindsided with “we don’t do that” and then wondering “what else don’t I know?! What am I even doing?!” I’m sure you’re doing great!

You don’t have to use shpritz and tissues, a lot of very frum people use wipes. Lots of people use Kirkland and up and up where I live. Neither are particularly drippy. If the ones you have worry you, squeeze some out before Shabbos or don’t push hard enough to squeeze liquid out.
To answer your questions, shpritz as I know it is water and baby soap, or oil. Oil is particularly effective. I cloth diapered for a while and used a spray bottle of oil with cloth wipes, or Kleenex hand towels.

blueeyedtwin

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:14 pm
A lot of people use “Shabbos” wipes…..they have less moisture than normal wipes. Obviously ppl have to ask their own LOR.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:15 pm
smolka613 wrote:
We listened to a very convincing shiur on the subject and now we do not use baby wipes on shabbos. Instead, first I'll wipe him with dry toilet paper to get the excess poo off and then I'll wash him more thoroughly in the sink. Honestly I like washing him off better than the baby wipes and I've started doing that during the week too. The rubbing from the baby wipes gave him diaper rash and they just didn't clean very well, especially when he started solids. Also I'm actually thinking about installing a bidet lol.

My MIL did that with her kids and still does whenever she changes a grandchild. I don't have patience for that but Def does a good job!

amother
Jean

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:33 pm
smolka613 wrote:
Does the cold sink water bother him?

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:43 pm
amother Olive wrote:
My MIL did that with her kids and still does whenever she changes a grandchild. I don't have patience for that but Def does a good job!

And if you're nowhere near a sink? Or at least not your own?

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:59 pm
my kid once threw up in the playground. I didnt have anything on me and I see all the other mothers just staring at me. I yelled 'does anyone have baby wipes I can use?' and... nothing. no response. finally someone gave me some tissues. every single mother was holding a carriage it was the first time I realized that many people really dont use baby wipes...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics