Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
New Urn Stinks- Solutions??

YoungMarried1

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 5:51 pm
We bought a new Classic Kitchen pump style hot water urn several months ago. It has a horrible plasticy/chemical taste that makes the water stink and taste terrible. I've tried vinegar, lemons, citric acid, boiling water repeatedly, and letting it air out- it's been sitting open for a few months now- and the smell is still there. Contacted the company and they actually sent us an identical replacement unit, but it has the exact same problem! Anyone have this problem and find a solution? It's a shame because they're so expensive, and now I have 2 sitting her that are unusable! Thanks for any ideas!

estreya

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 1:13 pm
We have the same problem. I posted same question a few months back but nobody answered.

We bought our new one close to Rosh Hashana and when it was set up for Shabbos for first time, the smell (and taste of the water) was horrid. Needless to say, no hot water that Shabbos Mad. We kept washing it, used vinegar, sour salt, etc and the smell/taste was still there. Weeks and weeks later of weekly use, there is still a tinge of smell/taste but it is much less. We have a metal one with a spigot which didn't need toiveling. It is the same brand as the previous one we had to replace because it seems to start leaking water.

I'm sure it has something to do with the manufacturing -- the smell was MUCH more horrible coming from the removable metal lid on ours.

I'm hoping it will further dissipate with time but I am not happy about it; it was very expensive.

Maybe someone else will chime in with suggestions.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 2:24 pm
What company did you both buy?

I bought eurolux last year that smelled like burnt plastic. The company sent me a replacement of a different version that didn’t have that issue

estreya

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 3:03 pm
Eurolux 30 cup.

Thanks Amother Bronze.

Did you contact them directly or go through store where you bought it? We got ours at a local heimishe store. We still have bill

Last edited by estreya on Mon, Jan 23 2023, 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 3:05 pm
I'd buy a known brand over a Jewish brand like West Bend.

estreya

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 3:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I'd buy a known brand over a Jewish brand like West Bend.

We wanted the Magic Mill one but they were out of stock at the time. Sad

Don't understand how the Jewish ones can be sold with these issues, especially seeing how it is a necessity for us used weekly and for YT.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 3:14 pm
We use West Bend with a spigot, no pumps that fade out, all year round.

estreya

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 3:22 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We use West Bend with a spigot, no pumps that fade out, all year round.

Thanks. Will look into it.

Is there a link to the kind you have?

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 3:30 pm
estreya wrote:
Eurolux 30 cup.

Thanks Amother Bronze.

Did you contact them directly or go through store where you bought it? We got ours at a local heimishe store. We still have bill

I called eurolux directly. The store I bought the urn from gave me their phone number. Eurolux office is in Chestnut Ridge near monsey. I brought them the smelly urn and they handed me a new one.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 3:32 pm
estreya wrote:
Thanks. Will look into it.

Is there a link to the kind you have?

We have this one for pesach.
https://a.co/d/0fKWJ6P

We have the same one for year round, that we bought at a Jewish place. Still West Bend, but the cord gets plugged in on two sides- meaning it's not permanently fixed into the urn on one side. It's a nice feature, but not necessary if you don't have time to shop around.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 3:38 pm
What kind of water are you adding? Add filtered water only and see if that solves the problem. We had this and that’s what helped

estreya

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 4:07 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
What kind of water are you adding? Add filtered water only and see if that solves the problem. We had this and that’s what helped

Tap water.

Will try with filtered and see if it makes a difference. Thx.

estreya

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 4:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We have this one for pesach.
https://a.co/d/0fKWJ6P

We have the same one for year round, that we bought at a Jewish place. Still West Bend, but the cord gets plugged in on two sides- meaning it's not permanently fixed into the urn on one side. It's a nice feature, but not necessary if you don't have time to shop around.

Thanks!

YoungMarried1

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 6:47 pm
Thank you for all the responses! We tried filtered/distilled water- the problem is from the plastic component in the urn itself that just stinks! We had an older version of the same urn that had no issues and lasted great for years before it finally failed, so this is disappointing- they're so expensive! I prefer the insulated type that has a lock for safety reasons but we might just go with the West Bend spigot model- ra_mom, did you toivel it? Worried about killing it that way and adding another one to our urn cemetery...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen