Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
The socially off things people say and do
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 5:18 pm
When on chemo and some smart *** person says, if you would try natural / alternative medicine, you wouldnt have lost your hair and brows.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 5:45 pm
Oh you must have a good metabolism. No actually I work out hard, a lot. “Oh well I work out too must be your metabolism.” Um, walking a few min on the treadmill and eating everything isn’t equivalent to what I do so please shut it! Don’t minimize my efforts.

imaamy

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 5:51 pm
[quote="Roots"]people straight up ask me how much rent im paying
im in israel
here things are a bit different I guess. there is no 'I dont want to talk about it' its a culture people literally get into your businesss all the time

True! We’re American. Our nephew was visiting from ISR. We asked him what was different and he said “well I learned not to ask people how much they make.”

imaamy

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 6:10 pm
[quote="amother Jade"](We’re sfardi/chassidish)
I was out with my newborn and a neighbour peeked in to see baby and she is like “another shva rtze “[/quot

Please tell me this isn’t true. That’s horrible! The use of the term, not whatever shade your baby is.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 6:22 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
When on chemo and some smart *** person says, if you would try natural / alternative medicine, you wouldnt have lost your hair and brows.

Those alternative/natural medicine people are more than just socially off. They sometimes successfully convince people to stop or decline chemo. Not once have they been successful in treating the patient.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:06 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
Those alternative/natural medicine people are more than just socially off. They sometimes successfully convince people to stop or decline chemo. Not once have they been successful in treating the patient.

I'm sorry it is not nice to bash a group of people for the wrongdoing of a few of them.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:34 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
I'm sorry it is not nice to bash a group of people for the wrongdoing of a few of them.

I have a friend who died at 50 because of it. Left 9 orphans, none of them married. It's not such a bad thing to warn ppl of the dangers of listening to this kind of reasoning. She also stopped chemio to use natural stuff...

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:50 pm
My mother met an acquaintance soon after getting up from sitting shiva for her mother. She greeted her loudly with apologies for missing the shiva and ended with “iy”H by the next one I’ll make it”.
Hello. Stay home. And put your foot in your mouth and keep it there. Banging head

NechaMom

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 11:00 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
My mother met an acquaintance soon after getting up from sitting shiva for her mother. She greeted her loudly with apologies for missing the shiva and ended with “iy”H by the next one I’ll make it”.
Hello. Stay home. And put your foot in your mouth and keep it there. Banging head

This sounds like a real mistake. Funny too, though I’m sure it wasn’t funny to you mom.

amother
Caramel

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 11:32 pm
The best way to deal with socially off questions imho, is to make the person repeat themselves.
Sometimes it gives them a little discomfort when they repeat something again..

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:33 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:

That reminds me DD's (14) friend was sitting shiva for her mother. DH took her to be menachem avel one Friday morning. She stayed awhile, they chatted, etc. Later the girl texted DD to thank her for coming and DD responded "b'kef" Can't Believe It

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:48 pm
amother Pear wrote:
That reminds me DD's (14) friend was sitting shiva for her mother. DH took her to be menachem avel one Friday morning. She stayed awhile, they chatted, etc. Later the girl texted DD to thank her for coming and DD responded "b'kef" Can't Believe It

I would say DLKZ. Her response is to be seen as "no problem" IMHO.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:50 pm
When a relative was receiving radiation, her coworker asked her when she'll be making up all the hours she's missing .

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:56 pm
My husband had a heart attack and open heart surgery. My mother in law said it must have happened because he took the covid vaccine.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:57 pm
Il add that my sil told me to go off birth control. (Yes, Im op of that thread)

I think thats socially off to tell someone to have another baby soon.

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 3:05 pm
[quote="imaamy"]
amother Jade wrote:
(We’re sfardi/chassidish)
I was out with my newborn and a neighbour peeked in to see baby and she is like “another shva rtze “[/quot

Please tell me this isn’t true. That’s horrible! The use of the term, not whatever shade your baby is.

This is weird but there's an old minhag to say a baby has a negative appearance as a way of shooing away the ayin hara. Especially if the baby is cute.

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 3:07 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I would say DLKZ. Her response is to be seen as "no problem" IMHO.

I know. It just seemed the wrong phrase to use. But I was proud of her that she had gone, especially since it was already summer break and it's possible the girl wasn't getting many classmates visiting.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 3:24 pm
amother Olive wrote:
Is it real?

Yes

(it is a real bracelet).

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 3:35 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
This thread is making me uncomfortable. So many times I accidentally said something stupid and wished I could take it back afterwards. Some of these comments could have been made by me 🙈

I think everyone has put their foot in their mouth at some point.

Someone I met told me they had a new baby.

I asked how old the child above was, and she said 11 years.

I said, "how nice to have a baby after so many years."

The woman told me....

she lost two children in a car accident! Crying

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 3:39 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I think everyone has put their foot in their mouth at some point.

Someone I met told me they had a new baby.

I asked how old the child above was, and she said 11 years.

I said, "how nice to have a baby after so many years."

The woman told me....

she lost two children in a car accident! Crying

OMG
Page 12 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics