Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My baby is delayed
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:00 am
My baby is delayed in the sense that he doesn’t crawl, pull to stand or really move at all. He doesn’t turn over unless I get him started. He doesn’t go from sitting to any other position. He has PT and OT and progress is very slow. He used to be up on all fours (I had to help him get into that position) and then rock a bit but lately he is resistant to be in that position. He has many different sounds and cognitively is not showing delays. He feeds himself finger foods and manipulates toys appropriately. He just doesn’t move!! He isn’t even interested in moving. He is very content to sit and play wherever he is.
Has anyone had a similar situation and had success with craniosacral therapy or feldenkrais?
Thanks!

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:08 am
How old?

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:22 am
How old? Does he have low or high muscle tone? Depending on the cause of the delays diff therapies may be effective.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:24 am
Oops forgot to write that he is 12 months old. PT says he is not low muscle tone and there is no physical reason he can’t crawl etc. that is why I am wondering if feldenkrais or craniosacral can help.
Is it a motivation thing? He is 12 months old and I can, technically, leave him on his back on a bed bec I am 99.999 percent positive he won’t roll. I don’t do this bec obviously I can’t know forsure.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:25 am
All my kids are this way.
He/she probably has low muscle tone.
Intervention such as physical therapy is great.
Have your therapist give u homework that u can practice w/ ur baby between sessions.
My second son was extremely delayed.
Today he is an active married 22 year old man and is extremely athletic.
My youngest did not walk till she was 22 month old.
It was super challenging. She has low muscle tome all over her body. She was terrified to walk. The fear held her back from walking
It definitely took a while for her to catch up to her peers but today she is a bright and energetic 7 year old.
Plz give ur baby lots of tummy time.
My babies hated their stomachs because they couldnt do anything. Therefore I never liked to put them on their stomachs so it delayed them even further….
Good luck.
U can pm me for any further questions.
I have a great therapist in bklyn who charges privately but he gets ur kid to move.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:27 am
What does the pediatrician say about the muscle tone? Where are you located?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:29 am
Thanks!
I am not in NY but I appreciate the offer! He did not like his stomache so as you said that definitely contributed to the problem as I did not put him down for tummy time a lot. I am working on that now. However, it is more his lack of desire to move that worries me. Why is he so content to just be and not interested in moving?? If I start him in a roll he smiles and finishes but why isn’t he interested in moving and exploring like that??

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:30 am
amother cornflower wrote:
What does the pediatrician say about the muscle tone? Where are you located?

We are due for a visit soon. At 9 months baby was already getting PT and Doc was happy with that. We didn’t discuss it since as I am doing therapy and following up on all exercises

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:38 am
I would say it's hard work at this stage, much harder than at 6 months. You can try motivating him by placing a toy or food just out of his reach and see if he makes an effort. Reward him for his effort. You can also compose a little jingle to sing whenever he does something new or hard for him. These things can really help. Also you want to be doing as much follow up at home so he's getting way way more than his OT and PT sessions.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 5:58 am
Consider getting a different PT.
I once had a PT for my daughter for a few months and she didnt make much progress. I finally switched to another one, and she improved tremendously in a short amount of time. The second PT was gentle but firm and really knew what to do to get my daughter moving.

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:05 am
Babys who spend a lot of time on their backs.and the .get put into sitting young have a much harder time moving. They are happy and comfortable sitting and it decreases the motivation to move. It also feeds into all the weaknesses that didn't develop when they weren't on their stomache. Some therapists I know won't put a child in sitting until they are moving around on their stomache and can learn to get out of sitting to move, even if they sit later. You can discuss with your pt what weaknesses she feels are playing a role in the delays and how to carry over targetting them. Personally, still a lot of tummy time, weight bearing through arms in wheelbarrow position progressing to weight shifting and reaching, core strengthening. But I don't know your child....

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:22 am
amother Marigold wrote:
Babys who spend a lot of time on their backs.and the .get put into sitting young have a much harder time moving. They are happy and comfortable sitting and it decreases the motivation to move. It also feeds into all the weaknesses that didn't develop when they weren't on their stomache. Some therapists I know won't put a child in sitting until they are moving around on their stomache and can learn to get out of sitting to move, even if they sit later. You can discuss with your pt what weaknesses she feels are playing a role in the delays and how to carry over targetting them. Personally, still a lot of tummy time, weight bearing through arms in wheelbarrow position progressing to weight shifting and reaching, core strengthening. But I don't know your child....

Thank you
This makes a lot of sense to me

gootlfriends

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:22 am
You can get on the floor near him to motivate him, put toys just out of reach and if he tries move it closer until he gets it. That's similar to what therapists do.

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:37 am
Just want to comment regarding the motivation factor. Some babies are just like that. They are happy and content and not the most adventurous. I wouldn't worry about her lack of motivation but you can definitely discuss her physical progress with the PT.

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:50 am
I was like this as a baby and my child was like this
We both walked when we were ready. 20-24 months

yachnabobba

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:14 am
We had a lot of hatzlacha with CME. The real concern is that there may be an underlying issue with cognition
Hatzlacha and hugs

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:14 am
My dc was like this, she just needed more time. She had pt but honestly I don't think it was even needed.

She is very strong & athletic now, no issues.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:18 am
At some point if she continues like this you may need to do genetic testing. But speak more to the PT and OT first.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:20 am
Sometimes it’s another reason that will become obvious when they are older. But it could be caused by cognitive issues even if they do other age appropriate things.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:33 am
Thank you for the responses!
For those saying your DC were like this and are now fine- thank you for the reassurance!
For those saying it could be an underlying issue-that’s my concern… and if so I would want to give all the early intervention support I can now…
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics