Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby wipes on shabbos
Previous  1  2  3  Next

octopus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 11:06 pm
Sinks are not equipped to handle poop. Probably really bad for the drain.

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 11:15 pm
I use a spray bottle and dry disposable washcloths. But I also know people who use wipes.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:12 am
amother Ebony wrote:
And if you're nowhere near a sink? Or at least not your own?

I don't do it so don't ask me...
What did they do before the invention of baby wipes?
You can have baby wipes in the diaper bag for outings.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:13 am
octopus wrote:
Sinks are not equipped to handle poop. Probably really bad for the drain.

You first wipe off most with tissue. Sink is used just for cleaning the residue.

gold2

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 1:48 am
We were told not to use wipes which are even a bit wet (there are different opinions you can ask your own) . What we do is dry them out before shabbos - totally dry and either spray with the special spray which they sell for shabbos and then wipe off or use baby oil

I find the spray easier to use but baby oil is more comfortable for the baby.

I do find it harder than the weekday but you get used to it, generally I don't have to do more than one dirty diaper on shabbos and for wet ones, it's really not a big deal. I just look at it as you do what you have to do and once my kid is clean I feel really good.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 1:53 am
We use pampers wipes. My mother in law only buys the shabbos wipes, and most (but not all) of my sisters in law use those even in their own homes.

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 1:58 am
The spray is soap and alcohol and stuff.
I make my own with baby soap, baby oil, and water. It works better than the store bought one, because of the oil others mentioned.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:02 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m BT and had no idea until I asked to borrow wipes from another mother at kiddush that people don’t use baby wipes on shabbos. I have so much trouble with this concept. How do you get babies clean when they make? What is this spray everyone’s talking about. Is it just water? I can’t imagine that getting my baby clean, especially when it’s not shabbos I often have to bathe her after she makes . Is this something I’ve got to take on? I can’t handle I’m really struggling right now. Personally and it’s making me uninspired with my yiddishkeit. My big reach is just trying to daven every so often and be my watchful about what hechshers I’ll hold by. Honestly, im feeling maxed out in every area of my life and im trying to hold on to being Torah observant by a thread . Not being able to use baby wipes seems like it would just shoot my remaining motivation in the foot . Also before you say talk to your rav, im pretty intimidated to talk to my rav . I feel like I’m so far from the derech I’m supposed to be on he’d be disgusted . Outwardly I look like the perfect frum yeshivish wife but inwardly…I don’t know anything and it’s getting discouraging .

BT here too
I use wipes
There is an opinion that regular wipes are fine and I rely on it.
When I had my first baby I was so overwhelmed that I just didn’t register this rule. I refused to believe that on top of all the trouble with shabbes and a baby you are not allowed wet wipes.
I don’t feel bad

camp123

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:07 am
Sometimes you need to be honest with where you are holding. There are leniencies in halacha that can be relied on especially when you are struggling. Lots of people like to take the strictest opinions but if you are a BT that has already turned their life upside down it's important to take things slowly so you don't burn out. If you can speak to a rav who understands where you are coming from and your struggles it will help. Hashem cares more about where you are going to be in fifty years time than whether you relied on lenient opinions in order to get there.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:28 am
OP, there is what to go by for using wipes. I am a BT, yeshivish. We did not ask a shaila. It was not something I was even prepared to take on. Some people use and some people don't. Our Rav at the time when our kids were little didn't use wipes, and knew we did. He didn't try to tell us not to use. He knew that there was a basis for using.

scintilla

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:14 am
I'm Chabad and I have truly never heard of this. The only thing I know about wipes and Shabbos is using ones that aren't attached so you're not ripping them - and for that I use the parent's choice ones from walmart. I don't recall them dripping ever.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:19 am
Since there are d'oraisa halachos involved it might be a good idea to ask your own lor how to proceed in the future

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:57 am
amother Viola wrote:
BT here too
I use wipes
There is an opinion that regular wipes are fine and I rely on it.
When I had my first baby I was so overwhelmed that I just didn’t register this rule. I refused to believe that on top of all the trouble with shabbes and a baby you are not allowed wet wipes.
I don’t feel bad

Same same same.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:58 am
amother Grape wrote:
OP, there is what to go by for using wipes. I am a BT, yeshivish. We did not ask a shaila. It was not something I was even prepared to take on. Some people use and some people don't. Our Rav at the time when our kids were little didn't use wipes, and knew we did. He didn't try to tell us not to use. He knew that there was a basis for using.

This exactly.

gold2

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:20 am
Speaking as someone who doesn't use wipes, there is a difference between using wet wipes which don't squeeze out water and regular wipes.

it's ok to vent and find things hard but for halacha a rabbi should be consulted

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:24 am
amother Violet wrote:
I think the ones made from cotton are not allowed and the ones made of polyester are allowed. I use target brand for shabbos

correct I remember a concept about secheeta that cotton materials aka polyester or other fake man-made materials aren't really absorbent which is why we can use toilet paper too etc I just use aby wipes

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:31 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Our rav said if there are no other wipes around we can use the Huggies. But in monsey groceries they sell shabbos wipes. They’re not as wet, but they smell delicious.

My mom didn’t use wipes for her babies, idk how she managed.

If doing one stringent thing will make you drop it all, I think it’s a no brainer to find a lenient route for yourself.

Huggies tear when you take it out, its muktza.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:02 pm
I live in Israel and I use the sleek sensations shabbos wipes. They have them in America also. I honestly don't find it hard at all - they might not be as good as huggies but definitely do the trick for shabbos. We are very yeshivish and my friend whose husband is a mainstream Lakewood Rav uses them as well. I also heard that a well known Rav (maybe R' Forscheimer?) said Kirkland is ok for shabbos. You definitely should not feel bad asking a Rav - there are numerous opinions among the poskim. BTW some people use regular wipes and spray first so you don't need the moisture in the wipes as much - I never asked a Rav about this, never felt a need.

Pooh

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:19 pm
Aside from squeezing there are some brands that have each wipe attached to the next and when you pull the perforated edge rips out. It’s also an issue. So Huggies (I think) are not allowed for that reason.

For the record, I use wipes on Shabat. Kirkland, pampers or target brands. I hate the Jewish brands. And I leave the cap off to dry them out a little to avoid the squeezing problem.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:24 pm
Phoebe31 wrote:
Do you have a rabbi you can speak to and ask him about wipes on shabbos? Many people hold that it is totally fine to use them, myself included! Granted I’m not yeshivish at all but my husband’s father says they’re fine and he is yeshivish.
It sounds like you’re very overwhelmed by a lot of things, no need to add chomros to your already full plate.

It’s not a chumrah! Many rabbis said it is absolutely forbidden including mine

Please don’t give out info as if she can now do it because you do
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics