Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working at a non-profit

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:05 am
I started working at a non-Jewish non-profit last year on a grant funded project. I just had an excellent performance review but didn't get a raise or promotion or anything. The pay is low but I was hoping I would be able to advance within the company. Does anyone have any insight into if that is normal for non-profits? I've worked for regular companies before and always got raises.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:33 am
Yes, unfortunately I found non-profits to be a space where you're stuck in your position in years. Higher ups got paid 6 digits, and didnt work very hard. Had everything done by support staff who got paid a fraction of what they were getting paid.

I worked for a jewish non profit. When I asked for a promotion, they laughed and asked if I intend to become a rabbi. aka. only way to get a raise around there, apparently.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:36 am
amother Gardenia wrote:
Yes, unfortunately I found non-profits to be a space where you're stuck in your position in years. Higher ups got paid 6 digits, and didnt work very hard. Had everything done by support staff who got paid a fraction of what they were getting paid.

I worked for a jewish non profit. When I asked for a promotion, they laughed and asked if I intend to become a rabbi. aka. only way to get a raise around there, apparently.

That's so frustrating. I guess I need to look for a new job already.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:22 pm
Reading your post consoled me a great deal. Why? Because Charity Navigator (bless them) shows you the salaries of CEOs of non-profits and many of them are downright obscenely high. I thought "gosh, who knew there was so much money to be made in the charity biz, I should have gone into that instead of the field I went into." However, it's apparently only the bigwigs who draw astronomical paychecks, and chances are slim to none that I would ever have reached that level.

Just One

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:32 pm
Did you ask for a raise? If yes, what was their reason for denying it?

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
That's so frustrating. I guess I need to look for a new job already.

Before you look for a new job did you try asking for a raise? All you said is is wasn’t offered. Many companies, non profit and for profit don’t voluntarily give raises you have to ask.

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
I started working at a non-Jewish non-profit last year on a grant funded project. I just had an excellent performance review but didn't get a raise or promotion or anything. The pay is low but I was hoping I would be able to advance within the company. Does anyone have any insight into if that is normal for non-profits? I've worked for regular companies before and always got raises.

I work for the funder, not the non-profit. Meaning, I work at a philanthropy who provides the grant money that the non-profits request. I read the LOIs and grant applications, I read the org's finances, audited budgets, and we go over it all with a very fine-tooth comb. I am up to my neck in this work. I say this to show you my credentials before I answer you.

You were hired for a project which is being funded by a grant. That means the funder or funders are providing the amount of money your org requested, and in the request there was a line item for the salary/salaries for the employees who will be working on the project.

Your org can not give you a raise because they do not have the funding or approval to do so. They will need general operating support funding (GOS) to pay salaries not included in this particular project. Every non-profit is restricted by the funding they receive (which can be restricted for a project, endowment, or capital, or un-restricted, like for GOS. But every dime has to be accounted for, so if they are paying salaries, they have to show the IRS (in America) and all funders where those dollars are coming from.

Please let me know if you have other questions about this sector and how the funding works. I'm happy to help.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:28 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
I work for the funder, not the non-profit. Meaning, I work at a philanthropy who provides the grant money that the non-profits request. I read the LOIs and grant applications, I read the org's finances, audited budgets, and we go over it all with a very fine-tooth comb. I am up to my neck in this work. I say this to show you my credentials before I answer you.

You were hired for a project which is being funded by a grant. That means the funder or funders are providing the amount of money your org requested, and in the request there was a line item for the salary/salaries for the employees who will be working on the project.

Your org can not give you a raise because they do not have the funding or approval to do so. They will need general operating support funding (GOS) to pay salaries not included in this particular project. Every non-profit is restricted by the funding they receive (which can be restricted for a project, endowment, or capital, or un-restricted, like for GOS. But every dime has to be accounted for, so if they are paying salaries, they have to show the IRS (in America) and all funders where those dollars are coming from.

Please let me know if you have other questions about this sector and how the funding works. I'm happy to help.

Thank you so much for this information. I thought it might be something along these lines, and I appreciate you confirming it. Do you have any advice then for for my next steps?

To those who asked, I did ask my supervisor on the grant and she just kind of changed the topic, and said maybe the overall non-profit will give a cost of living raise but even that didn't happen.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:30 pm
My current direct supervisor started at my position then moved up to project manager, but there are no open roles right now it seems.

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you so much for this information. I thought it might be something along these lines, and I appreciate you confirming it. Do you have any advice then for for my next steps?

To those who asked, I did ask my supervisor on the grant and she just kind of changed the topic, and said maybe the overall non-profit will give a cost of living raise but even that didn't happen.

This is how it's going to be in this line of work if the position you hold is dependent on a grant. If you can get a full-time staff position at the org, you will have some more room in terms of salary and upwards growth.

The non-profit sector is hard because most orgs have very few full-time or even part-time staffers, most of them use contracted people. Are you on a 1099 or are you on their full time staff?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:36 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
This is how it's going to be in this line of work if the position you hold is dependent on a grant. If you can get a full-time staff position at the org, you will have some more room in terms of salary and upwards growth.

The non-profit sector is hard because most orgs have very few full-time or even part-time staffers, most of them use contracted people. Are you on a 1099 or are you on their full time staff?

I am part-time staff no benefits.

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am part-time staff no benefits.

How many people are on staff, both FT and PT?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:42 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
How many people are on staff, both FT and PT?

I am not sure maybe around 100-200.

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am not sure maybe around 100-200.

Wow, that's a lot!

I would say, if the job is meaningful to you and you find the work fulfilling, keep doing the good work you are doing. With that many people in an office, the turnover rate is much higher than at my office (there are four of us!) and many other offices in your space. I would stick with it, as the chances of upward movement in the org are pretty high. Just do the good, hard work, and make sure they know you are in it for the long haul and interested in upward growth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics