Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Uppababy Minu V2 as primary stroller
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:46 am
I’m leaning towards getting the Uppababy Minu V2 as my primary stroller. Love that it is lightweight, has a bassinet option, one handed fold.

My concern is whether it will be comfortable for my baby. Is the seat padded enough to be comfortable? Does it bump up and down on the bumps in sidewalks (talking about standard cracks from the way a sidewalk is structured, not potholes or actual damage to the sidewalk)?

I’ve heard that rubber wheels are a better ride than plastic ones so I’m concerned. The Minu v2 does have all wheel suspension so maybe it’s not so bad?

Would love to hear from someone experienced with the Minu. I live in a suburb and plan to use the stroller for walks and errands in and out of the car.

Also, are you generally able to put it in the overhead compartment when flying?

Thanks!

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:49 am
It's actually a very smooth ride.

I don't think you can place in overhead compartment.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:50 am
I recently got the minu, not as my primary carriage but as a travel one. It handles regular sidewalks bumps way better than I expected. I find it to be very smooth. My child is comfortable in it however they are 38lbs and already nearly outgrown it. It will never be as comfortable as a full size stroller but I do think it is an excellent stroller for the category it is in. It is sturdy and well made.

Keep in mind you will not get the same sort of recline options, leg rest options, large basket, etc that you will get with the uppababy Cruz.

I haven’t flown with it yet.

ETA: I like that the seat sits up up with a nearly straight back, and not the default recline that you find on other similar strollers. And I love the bar, which a lot of strollers don’t have. I haven’t used buckles or straps since my child was around 2 years old, and if not for the bar I would have to strap her in again.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 5:46 pm
I thought the Minu was good for a child up to 50 pounds.

This is my first child, I’m not sure whether I’m being a mean mommy getting a travel stroller instead of a full size one. I want my baby to be comfortable but don’t want to spend so much and don’t want to get more than one carriage. Don’t want to have a big heavy carriage to take up and down my basement stairs.

Also, the Minu is officially supposed to fit in most overhead bins.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 5:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I thought the Minu was good for a child up to 50 pounds.

This is my first child, I’m not sure whether I’m being a mean mommy getting a travel stroller instead of a full size one. I want my baby to be comfortable but don’t want to spend so much and don’t want to get more than one carriage. Don’t want to have a big heavy carriage to take up and down my basement stairs.

Also, the Minu is officially supposed to fit in most overhead bins.

Yes officially it’s 50lbs but practically depending on your child’s height and build they may be uncomfortable in it before that weight. When my child tries to sleep in it her feet are dangling over, it looks uncomfortable. Definitely not as comfortable as her Cruz. For sitting in it while we walk around it’s fine. Or quick naps.

You’re not a “mean mommy”. Where I live (Brooklyn), my stroller is like a second car. I walk my kids to Morah, walk to the grocery etc. But if you’re saying you’re using it on errands where you’re in and out of the car, it may be fine.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:43 pm
I just flew with it, it definitely fits in the overhead bin, possibly some airlines like spirit might not let though.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:45 pm
It's totally fine to use a compact stroller as your main one if it works well for you.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:14 pm
Just so you’re aware the Minu can’t fold with the bassinet on. You need to take it off and then fold. I bought the Joolz aer for that reason because I want to be able to fold it to carry up steps.

Are you a mean mommy, absolutely not, but if you want to walk somewhere without smooth sidewalks then you will probably want a stroller with bigger wheels. Something like the city mini isn’t too heavy. I don’t own a full stroller either.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:04 pm
amother Azure wrote:
Just so you’re aware the Minu can’t fold with the bassinet on. You need to take it off and then fold. I bought the Joolz aer for that reason because I want to be able to fold it to carry up steps.

Are you a mean mommy, absolutely not, but if you want to walk somewhere without smooth sidewalks then you will probably want a stroller with bigger wheels. Something like the city mini isn’t too heavy. I don’t own a full stroller either.

Don’t you have to remove the bumper bar each time you fold the joolz aer? I was going to get it but heard that and was turned off.

The city mini looks good but doesn’t have a bassinet option - it was discontinued.

Any other ideas? Is the Uppababy Cruz big and annoying to push around stores? Might go with it for the bigger wheels. Would love a cheaper option though.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:19 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
It's actually a very smooth ride.

I don't think you can place in overhead compartment.

I’m happy to hear this. I go on regular sidewalks, they just have breaks between slabs of concrete where my doona bumps uncomfortably. Does the Uppababy Minu handle those well?

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Don’t you have to remove the bumper bar each time you fold the joolz aer? I was going to get it but heard that and was turned off.

The city mini looks good but doesn’t have a bassinet option - it was discontinued.

Any other ideas? Is the Uppababy Cruz big and annoying to push around stores? Might go with it for the bigger wheels. Would love a cheaper option though.

Are you sure about the city mini's bassinet being discontinued? I'm think my sil just bought the city mini gt with bassinet.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:50 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
Are you sure about the city mini's bassinet being discontinued? I'm think my sil just bought the city mini gt with bassinet.

The gt does have a bassinet still but it has foam wheels which I think aren’t the greatest? Would prefer rubber but don’t know if it actually makes a big difference. Any idea?

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
The gt does have a bassinet still but it has foam wheels which I think aren’t the greatest? Would prefer rubber but don’t know if it actually makes a big difference. Any idea?
I love the gt wheels. Try pushing it and see.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
It does but I personally don't use the bumper bar anyway.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m happy to hear this. I go on regular sidewalks, they just have breaks between clans of concrete where my doona bumps uncomfortably. Does the Uppababy Minu handle those well?

I use it as my primary stroller & we have pretty bad sidewalks here, it really is surprisingly smooth. Can you find someone in your neighborhood that has it so you can see for yourself? I think it's best to try out if you're concerned, there is only those much that can be conveyed by writing.

Re capacity, please don't worry about that. It fits my older dc who is way too old for a stroller, now I need to come up with excuses why he can't hitch a ride

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:56 pm
amother OP wrote:

The wheels of the gt are amazing. They act like air wheels but without ever getting a puncture. It feels effortless pushing the stroller over uneven surfaces etc. I would totally recommend it. I had a stroller with rubber wheels and after a couple of years of daily use they wore right down to the threads. I would take the gt wheels over any others any day. I wish more strollers had the secret they seem to have.
The type of wheels you want to be avoiding are plastic type wheels that are very hard and will struggle with uneven surfaces.

ETA: I love the gt as it's one of the best for older children. I've put my 6yo in and he still fits.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:57 pm
amother Azure wrote:
It does but I personally don't use the bumper bar anyway.

Same. I had a large bugaboo & a fancy jogging stroller back In the day, I always removed the bars, not sure why I just don't see the need for a bar on a stroller it just gets in the way & usually the placement is off (there is a law re placement of stroller bars as kids have chocked on them trying to get out of the stroller)

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:00 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
Same. I had a large bugaboo & a fancy jogging stroller back In the day, I always removed the bars, not sure why I just don't see the need for a bar on a stroller it just gets in the way & usually the placement is off (there is a law re placement of stroller bars as kids have chocked on them trying to get out of the stroller)

I love the bumper bar on my strollers and I would never get a stroller without one. My kids like leaning against it, putting their feet up on it and it's great for an older child who can sit in the stroller without being strapped in.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:02 pm
Thanks so much, I’m really appreciating all of the info you’re sharing! You’re helping a nervous pregnant ftm so much.

So my options are city mini gt, Uppababy Minu, and joolz aer.

About the bumper bar, I’ve heard people saying once their kids are bigger, they don’t bother strapping them in to the stroller and just rely on the bumper bar to keep them in. Don’t know if that’s very unsafe, would see how I feel when my baby is at that stage. What do you think of that though? Also people say their baby loves the bumper bar, makes the carriage more comfortable.

I’m wondering about the sizes of the bassinets for these three carriages. I’d want my baby to fit in it until at least 3-4 months, he’ll probably be average sized. Anyone have experience with these bassinets? Is any of them to the smaller or bigger side?

I do need to go to a store and try them out.

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much, I’m really appreciating all of the info you’re sharing! You’re helping a nervous pregnant ftm so much.

So my options are city mini gt, Uppababy Minu, and joolz aer.

About the bumper bar, I’ve heard people saying once their kids are bigger, they don’t bother strapping them in to the stroller and just rely on the bumper bar to keep them in. Don’t know if that’s very unsafe, would see how I feel when my baby is at that stage. What do you think of that though? Also people say their baby loves the bumper bar, makes the carriage more comfortable.

I’m wondering about the sizes of the bassinets for these three carriages. I’d want my baby to fit in it until at least 3-4 months, he’ll probably be average sized. Anyone have experience with these bassinets? Is any of them to the smaller or bigger side?

I do need to go to a store and try them out.

Your best bet is to try them out and if you can borrow a child or borrow a stroller to try it out irl. The thing about trying strollers in stores is most strollers will push easily over smooth floors, but out in the real world, it might not be as easy. Also pushing a newborn or small baby is quite different to a toddler or older child. As a child gets heavier, it gets harder to push.
Both the Minu and the Aer are travel strollers and will be that bit more compact than the gt. That also means the bassinets are likely to be narrower and smaller than that of the gt.
If you haven't guessed yet I love my gt and would choose it over the other 2. The main difference would be that it doesn't fold as small as the other 2, but for a full sized stroller its fold is so simple and pretty small.
To complicate matters, you could consider the gt's smaller cousin the city tour. It's a travel stroller like the minu and aer. The wheels are small than the gt, so not quite as smooth but still great. And it also comes with a bassinet.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics