Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How long should I wait?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:34 am
I am very unhappy at work, like to the point it'saffecting my mental health. Love what I do, it's the specific workplace I'm unhappy with for various reasons. I started dusting off my resume and preparing to look elsewhere. The thing is, I work in tech and with all the layoffs happening right now, it's clearly not a good time, so it looks like I'm going to have to stick it out awhile longer. I've been here awhile and if our company has layoffs, I'm unlikely to be first in line, they would go based on seniority. If I went somewhere new now, I wouldn't have that level of security. I guess for others in the know about the tech sector, how long would you advise sticking it out? I'm really miserable, but if I knew ok, I'm sticking it another 6, 9, etc months, I can suck it up and do what I have to do.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:39 am
I would go. Look for a strong company not a start up or place bleeding money. You have skills. Even if you get let go you'll find another job. Your mental health is really really important.

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:51 am
I'm curious what you consider tech sector
I'm in tech also but I've never worked at a faang- type company... Ive worked in aerospace/defense and now I'm in med device
Both having pretty good job security, never been subject to a mass layoff
If you're interested in something like that it seems like those types of jobs (like not strictly tech sector but working in tech within a different industry) tend to have better job security
There are other pros and cons tho but personally I've really liked both industries I've worked in

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:10 am
Try to upskill. Then you'll have better leverage.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics