Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
"fight for services" how?? denied by board of ed
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:55 pm
my 3.5 year old was denied services by the board of ed. This child desperately and obviously needs them. now what?? who do I go to? how do I get them?

I know people who complain that their kid is barely in class because they were given tons of hours of hours and they can't drop them. here I am trying to get this poor kid a measly anything instead of paying for everything out of pocket. someone gave me a name and its $375 just for a consultation to start fighting the board of ed.

can someone please teach me how to advocate for my child. so far it's a mess of red tape and unanswered phone calls and lines that nobody picks up.

mitzva

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 1:33 pm
there is an agency who can help you
please pm me.

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:04 pm
Speech OT PT can be billed via insurance. Much simpler than BOE approval. It is after school tho.

There are centers in Boro Park that do this
You probably need a prescription

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:04 pm
The question is why did they deny services.

Was it because they evaluated your kid and found he didn't need services? Was it because your child was not delayed enough of a percent? Was it because they are refusing an eval?

It may require you to get a private evaluation to prove them wrong.

I had to fight twice for my son.

We realized he needed OT but it was after he transitioned from infant services to preschool services for another therapy. They said since nobody ever suggested it prior, he doesn't need it. We paid out of pocket for the eval (I'd rather fight for services than fight for an eval if I can only fight for one.) The eval came back clearly that my son needed services and we submitted all the documentation and reports and BH got OT.

We had to fight again when he turned 5. At that age he should transition from preschool to elementary school services. We chose to hold him back in school, instead of sending to Pre-1a. The city said that if I hold him back he's in preschool and they can't give elementary school services. But since he aged out of preschool, they wouldn't provide preschool services either. Their own documentation said that they couldn't deny my son services if I held back. I showed them their documentation. I had an arbitration meeting and they gave me services.

Both was a ton of heart ache and head ache. I found state employees' numbers online who oversee this and called them. They put pressure too. I searched online for documentation proving my request. Millions of phone calls and emails.

We were ready to go the educational lawyer route, but it worked out in the end.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:43 pm
Contact Yahalom

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:44 pm
amother Heather wrote:
Speech OT PT can be billed via insurance. Much simpler than BOE approval. It is after school tho.

There are centers in Boro Park that do this
You probably need a prescription

Where is their a good OT center?

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:50 pm
They're denying a lot of kids services now... Are you CSE 6?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:51 pm
I used to take my kids to the rehab department of the local children's hospitals. Different kids different hospitals but they took my insurance and provided good therapy. I would see if that could work for you.

amother
Maize

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:54 pm
Go through an agency like Yeled V’Yalda or OMNI.
They have lawyers that fight for you.

yachnabobba

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:55 pm
mitzva wrote:
there is an agency who can help you
please pm me.

I need help with my son who is in a public school. Who can help

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 4:04 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Where is their a good OT center?

https://www.google.com/maps/pl.....data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x89c24527f26cede3:0x8f75bbce4bfb0bb6!8m2!3d40.6253793!4d-73.9833753!16s%2Fg%2F11b6glbh5_

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 4:22 pm
What happens if you say you don't agree and want to go to an impartial?

Do you have letters from teachers/therapists proving why your child needs the services due to academic reasons?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 4:38 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
They're denying a lot of kids services now...

There are probably two reasons for this. The first being that the New York Times wrote a scathing article about how Orthodox Jews get too many services so orthodox Jews are now being denied these much needed services despite paying taxes. And the second reason is because Eric Adams said he will have to cut services to accommodate all the illegal aliens so citizens are being denied services in favor of non-citizens. (NY also voted to prioritize non-Jewish minorities so that could be a third reason why op was denied services since she is perceived as "white" instead of a "person of color"). This is discrimination against Jews and citizens (in this case, both) so op should find a lawyer and sue for discrimination based on race/skin color, religion and national origin (best to foil the city first to find out how much money is being used to fund all the services for illegal aliens including all the tax paid services their kids are getting in school while our kids suffer and are told to do without).

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 4:50 pm
amother Gold wrote:
There are probably two reasons for this. The first being that the New York Times wrote a scathing article about how Orthodox Jews get too many services so orthodox Jews are now being denied these much needed services despite paying taxes. And the second reason is because Eric Adams said he will have to cut services to accommodate all the illegal aliens so citizens are being denied services in favor of non-citizens. (NY also voted to prioritize non-Jewish minorities so that could be a third reason why op was denied services since she is perceived as "white" instead of a "person of color"). This is discrimination against Jews and citizens (in this case, both) so op should find a lawyer and sue for discrimination based on race/skin color, religion and national origin (best to foil the city first to find out how much money is being used to fund all the services for illegal aliens including all the tax paid services their kids are getting in school while our kids suffer and are told to do without).

The first reason and the first reason. They started denying EVERYONE since the article

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 4:52 pm
It's quicker and easier to get therapy services (especially OT and PT maybe even speech?) Threw your insurance. Contact your child's doctor or any therapy place to guide you

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 4:58 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
The first reason and the first reason. They started denying EVERYONE since the article

So demand an impartial.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:26 pm
I forgot to check back on this thread.

services were denied bc the administrator is tough. she is known to be super tough. I DID go through yeled vyaldah, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but there is literally nobody to talk to there. zero percent helpful at all.

my child needs speech (actually I think we need a full evaluation, but at the time I only asked for speech). I am paying out of pocket for private speech therapy who says she can't even give enough hours that dc really needs, like dc needs 2-3 times a week just of speech (let alone OT and I suspect even more) and all I can get is a 30 minute session from her.

I can't start fighting and suing. like not even morah understands this kid. my own husband doesn't!! I have no idea how any of the evaluators even understood a word let alone scored it. this is so frustrating and time is ticking and I don't have endless funds to throw at this.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:37 pm
Please call Tova Wacholder, she is the director of Yahalom NY (a division of Agudas Yisroel)
I also think going through your insurance is worth looking into...
There are agencies that provide therapists and supervision through insurance...

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I forgot to check back on this thread.

services were denied bc the administrator is tough. she is known to be super tough. I DID go through yeled vyaldah, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but there is literally nobody to talk to there. zero percent helpful at all.

my child needs speech (actually I think we need a full evaluation, but at the time I only asked for speech). I am paying out of pocket for private speech therapy who says she can't even give enough hours that dc really needs, like dc needs 2-3 times a week just of speech (let alone OT and I suspect even more) and all I can get is a 30 minute session from her.

I can't start fighting and suing. like not even morah understands this kid. my own husband doesn't!! I have no idea how any of the evaluators even understood a word let alone scored it. this is so frustrating and time is ticking and I don't have endless funds to throw at this.

Did your dc get evaluated but didn’t qualify?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 12:01 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
Did your dc get evaluated but didn’t qualify?

evaluated for speech, but didn't qualify for speech Banging head
this was at age 3 like exactly. now it's half a year (and months in school) later and I feel like there's something up with this kid in general. like it can't JUST be speech. developmentally things just aren't on par for being 3.5 but it took time for me to realize that...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries