Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Easy Food ideas for a simple bas mitzvah

curlyhead

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 4:32 pm
I am making a Bas Mitzvah party for my daughter. Looking for cheap and easy ideas for the menu. We are on a tight budget. I am only inviting her class and my sister and kids. Either things that can be frozen in advance or made in a couple of hours that morning. We are on a tight budget. Was thinking of around $300 budget foodwise. I don't have a lot of time so easy quick food I can make. If I can freeze in advance is even better. The Bas Mitzvah is on a Sunday afternoon at around 2pm so don't even need to serve a full meal

hiitsme

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 4:37 pm
Maybe a popcorn bar? cheap and classy. lay out lots of cups with popcorn, and lots of containers with different seasonings/toppings like cinnamon sugar, choc chips, caramel sauce etc.

mommy24

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 4:38 pm
I did this for my daughter too. My daughter doesn't like fleishigs so we did milchig. When girls came we had a table set with different flavored homemade popcorn, and some other east to eat foods before the project they did. For the meal I made a pasta bar. Different pastas with different sauces... Homemade tomato, homemade Alfredo, and home made roasted vegetables and feta cheese. I also made a few big salads. I think we made some spinach cheese and olive cheese borekas ahead of time and froze them. Some fresh garlic breads. Desserts I made cheese cakes and cookies all frozen ahead of time.

Pooh

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 4:42 pm
Mini pizzas u can make in advance
A plank of salmon is a few minutes in the oven the day of
A sushi platter (ordered) is not that expensive

If u live in Brooklyn, pizza perizia has a party menu. U can probably cater the whole party w them for $300, they sell u 9x13 tins of noodles fries salads they also have sushi
U can add the salmon if u feel like u need more. I paid $47 for a whole side of salmon in ShopRite and used the dinner done recipe for the sauce for my daughters bm.

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 5:47 pm
Bagels, different types of cream cheese (can make homemade ahead of time for cheap, fairly easy and delicious), smoked salmon, veggie platters, salads.
Mazal Tov! Smile

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:09 pm
hiitsme wrote:
Maybe a popcorn bar? cheap and classy. lay out lots of cups with popcorn, and lots of containers with different seasonings/toppings like cinnamon sugar, choc chips, caramel sauce etc.

This is so cute! How do the toppings stick?

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:19 pm
Pizza bar
In the Betty but I'm thinking even if u borrow and have 3, it's still a lot of waiting around while it finishes

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:53 pm
lamplighter wrote:
This is so cute! How do the toppings stick?

I would think with a fillable spray bottle of extra light olive oil that has a neutral taste. As well as sweet liquid toppings in squeeze bottles like caramel.

Offer different spice mixes like cinnamon/sugar, BBQ, garlic/salt, green goddess, chili, everything but the bagel, umami.

Then add loose toppings like toasted nuts for savory or mini chocolate chips or gummy bears.

It really does sound fun. You can stack up these cute popcorn cups or popcorn boxes to fill, and use scoops for the popcorn tubs.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:57 pm
How about

Baked ziti (undercook and freeze now)
Pizza (pre-bake the dough rounds and layer with sauce and cheese then freeze)
Assorted frozen French fries baked in the oven right before (curly fries, spicy fries, reg fries, onion rings)
Salad with squeeze dressings on the side

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:03 pm
Bourekas
Mini pizzas
Wraps cut up into small Pieces
Mozzerella sticks (u can make with string cheese)
Soup is always good
Pita chips with a some kind of dip
Nachos (chips with a cheese sauce poured over)

Golde

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:28 am
So many yummy suggestions above! I wish I was going to the BM 🤤
You can also consider having a taco buffet

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:05 am
For my daughters we did the following, which should fit perfectly in your budget:

Rolls for washing

Strawberry soup at each place setting for the appetizer (looks especially nice if you use pink/gold or pink with another color paper goods)

Buffet with:
Baked ziti
Macaroni & Cheese
Plain pasta for the picky eaters
Salad bar: big bowl of lettuce and smaller bowls with cucumbers, peppers, cherry tomatoes, baby corn, hearts of palm, chow main noodles, craisins, etc. and assorted dressing.

The girls loved it!

Forgot to mention dessert - plated warm homemade brownies with vanilla ice cream and drizzled chocolate syrup. We considered an ice cream bar, but so messy and much more expensive to buy multiple flavors of ice cream and toppings.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:16 am
We did baked ziti, dinner done recipe, super easy to put up the morning of. Four pans were enough for DD’s class plus 15-20 more people. We also had an eggplant Parmesan for the adults. Salad bar. Sorbet and some candy for dessert.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics