Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Raspberries/Blackberries - can you eat them?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:09 pm
Excuse my ignorance,

Can you eat fresh raspberries and blackberries? Is there a way to check from bugs?

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:09 pm
I've always heard you can't but it doesn't hurt to ask a rav.

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:13 pm
I see you added raspberries to your question. My initial answer was about blackberries. We recently spoke to a rav about raspberries somewhere not in the US and he told us that in that country, raspberries didn't have an issue and we could wash and eat them. So definitely ask.
(PS - DS was initially so excited to be able to eat raspberries and he was so disappointed with how they actually tasted...)

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:16 pm
We were told no raspberries. I never asked about blackberries

emi1812

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:22 pm
Years ago, I was speaking to Rabbi Gissinger and asked about blackberries. He told me there is no way to clean them since there’s no hole at the top and it has all those crevices. So we don't eat them.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:40 pm
All kashrut pubs I've read don't recommend them. Yet I've been to simchas in very frum places where they were served. I have to assume that they were grown in special bug-free hothouses and marketed only to caterers and restaurants.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:51 pm
zaq wrote:
All kashrut pubs I've read don't recommend them. Yet I've been to simchas in very frum places where they were served. I have to assume that they were grown in special bug-free hothouses and marketed only to caterers and restaurants.

There's very little oversight at simchas kashrus wise. There was a recent mishpacha article on it. I doubt they were specially grown.

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:20 pm
When we were kids we used to eat raspberries straight off the bush. Then we were told we need to soak them because there are bugs. There were tons of little gray worms that would float to the top of the bowl.

I don't eat raspberries today, even ones that are served at simchas.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:31 pm
No

finprof

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:38 pm
If you blend them you can have both, right? Why isn't anyone pointing that out?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:41 pm
finprof wrote:

No, you still can't. אין מבטלין איסור לכתחילה

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:44 pm
[quote="finprof"]If you blend them you can have both, right? Why isn't anyone pointing that out?[/quote

Its not the same. I get bags of frozen mixed berries. It's not the same at all....

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:48 pm
Oy, I purchased a cut up fruit cup at a kosher store in Florida, they said that all fruits were washed and checked. It's the first time I had raspberries and blackberries. They're so delicious, they taste like candy. Hope I didn't eat worms!

mizle10

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:49 pm
finprof wrote:

Not fresh berries

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:51 pm
[quote="LovesHashem"]
finprof wrote:
If you blend them you can have both, right? Why isn't anyone pointing that out?[/quote

Its not the same. I get bags of frozen mixed berries. It's not the same at all....

How is frozen ok?

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:55 pm
I grew up picking and eating blueberries, blackberries, and wild raspberries right on my property. Checking is definitely important. I found a stinkbug in a wineberry (wild raspberry) once.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:04 pm
finprof wrote:

No, you can’t do that if there are definitely bugs, it’s only a heter for items which don’t always have bugs that you would normally still check such as frozen fruit but raspberries are always infested apparently, although I think frozen raspberries are also not allowed to be blended because they still have bugs.
You can have raspberries if it was blended by a non Jew for some odd reason can’t remember why.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:05 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I grew up picking and eating blueberries, blackberries, and wild raspberries right on my property. Checking is definitely important. I found a stinkbug in a wineberry (wild raspberry) once.

Yeah, we used to do that growing up to in forests, but then we learned that they are infested and can’t be eaten. Apparently they used to not be infested.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:03 pm
So how can a drink that has raspberry purée and blackberry purée be certified kosher?

miami85

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:19 pm
amother Teal wrote:
No, you still can't. אין מבטלין איסור לכתחילה

I thought I heard that this was how falafel came to be popular in Israel b/c the chickpeas were often infested so by grinding them up it became ok.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen