Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cruise ships, etc during a recession. How do ppl afford it?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Did you go on vacation this year/yeshiva week?
Yes but family paid for it  
 4%  [ 10 ]
Yes but paid for it through cc points  
 6%  [ 15 ]
Yes, but saved up for it and have everything else, including tuition fully paid up  
 10%  [ 26 ]
Yes, I am rich and can afford to do as I please  
 7%  [ 19 ]
Yes, but went into debt for it  
 0%  [ 1 ]
No, I can afford it but will save the money for real needs  
 13%  [ 33 ]
No, I can afford it but I am working and couldnt take time off  
 10%  [ 25 ]
No, would love to go but cant afford it  
 37%  [ 93 ]
Other, will explain in comments  
 9%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 245

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:29 pm
So many people are on cruise ships now and going next week as well. So many people going to expensive hotels to go skiing and do other things like traveling to Florida and whatnot. Others are paying hundreds of dollars to do things at American Dream mall. How do people afford these things at this time? So many people are struggling, around 40 thousand people were laid off this week (probably more than that but these are the big tech companies that have made this public and more companies have said they are planning on laying off employees so things are really bad now), so many people complaining about losing food stamps and not being able to afford food, so many people cant afford rent and are being evicted, tuition is going up, eggs and prices for other things are skyrocketing, etc. How are people still able to afford to go on cruise ships and expensive vacations?

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:32 pm
I feel like I'm the only one in my circles that's been effected by inflation.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:32 pm
and so many more arent Smile

We stayed home and most of our community is away. Many of them went on cruises and/or more lavish vacations - I won't spend what I dont have, especially when it comes to vaca. One time in my life I went into debt about 1.5yr ago over emergency and it was agony until we covered it last week. Wont do that over a vacation!
Im sure others are doing it on CC and thats not great!

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:33 pm
Some people are still doing well financially, even in these insane times. I most definitely am not. I’m avoiding Instagram this week because I get so sad seeing people on their vacations. Stop showing off. There are people out there in debt, trying to figure out how to pay for basic needs. It’s so tone dead and hurtful.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:33 pm
You’re going to get. A lot of varied responses to these but my gut responses are : 1)a lot of people have a lot of money. 2)a lot of people
Spend a lot of money 3)people spend their money differently.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:34 pm
amother White wrote:
I feel like I'm the only one in my circles that's been effected by inflation.

Same

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:36 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Some people are still doing well financially, even in these insane times. I most definitely am not. I’m avoiding Instagram this week because I get so sad seeing people on their vacations. Stop showing off. There are people out there in debt, trying to figure out how to pay for basic needs. It’s so tone dead and hurtful.

I actually love seeing videos of people's interesting vacations. What makes me sad though is women that call themselves frum, posting pictures of themselves laying at the beach in a bathing suit and uncovered hair.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:37 pm
amother White wrote:
I actually love seeing videos of people's interesting vacations. What makes me sad though is women that call themselves frum, posting pictures of themselves laying at the beach in a bathing suit and uncovered hair.

I’m with foxglove, it hurts to feel like everyone else can do it but us.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:38 pm
Other. I am going away. I paid for tickets but I am not paying for a place to stay and that's the most expensive. Also going with family so food is mostly covered. It basically cost me tickets and a car. Not cheap but bh we can afford it so we are doing it. If I had to pay to stay somewhere it would've been another 2k easily.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:39 pm
It’s the non chassidish version of bungalow colonies 🤣

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:41 pm
I voted other because my kids don’t have off for yeshiva week (yay cheder) but we did just go away for a family Simcha.

No we couldn’t afford it but we made it work (ie we barely have savings and we eke and scratch every month to cover and not go into debt). Couldn’t miss the Simcha though.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:43 pm
We took off a few dollars every pay check and are going on a cheap vacation. For some vacation is necessary for their mental health and they set aside funds.

Some people are not really affected by inflation.

I feel that we would all be better off if we focused on our needs and figured out how to get them and stopped looking at everyone else’s plates.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:55 pm
Used credit card points to buy plane tickets, staying somewhere for free. But food and outings are probably going to be expensive.

BH we have not been affected by the recession, but it pains me to know of so many people suffering and I do as much as I can to help others.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:58 pm
You have no idea what's going on in other people's lives. It may hurt you to see others going on what you view as fabulous vacations, and it may hurt them more to see you settled at home with your happy family (I hope) while they are going through who knows what.

In an ideal world, everyone would be able to do everything they wanted. In this world, fargin other people the way you want to be fargined, please. (I know it's not easy, but it's necessary for your own peace of mind.)

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:01 pm
Using cc points for flights and hotel.

Saved up bonuses for car rental and food. Will mostly do free/cheap attractions.

Haven’t flown anywhere in 6 years…

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:06 pm
Credit card points are what many ppl use to buy their kids clothing or to buy home necessities. So saying yoj use points so it’s free doesn’t make it more affordable for ppl who depend on those points for other needed items. It’s not free. It’s still your earned money essentially.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:06 pm
amother Black wrote:
I’m with foxglove, it hurts to feel like everyone else can do it but us.

It's your choice wether to look at those videos or not. I choose to watch them because I really enjoy them. I enjoy seeing exotic interesting places and cruise ships.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:09 pm
To add to this, I wonder if anyone else is concerned about things getting financially worse and that maybe now's not the best time to spend thousands.
I don't know. It seems like I'm the only one in my circles who isn't buying new cars, going to Israel, redoing their kitchen.
We're ok but tight. But I won't dig into my savings. I feel like we should save it.

Also I wonder about tuition. Do you think its ok to negotiate tuition discounts and then spend those thousands on vacations (assuming the tuition committee doesn't ask about vacations).
I have acquaintances who have called me a loser and naive for paying what they ask of me. Apparently I should be negotiating down $6000 so that I can take my family skiing in Colorado.

Chaya123

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:22 pm
We don't have yeshiva week. We have off Friday and Monday and that's just for the girls schools. DH and I both have work. Either way, we wouldn't take off a week and visit FL. It's not our budget or hashkafa. But would be nice to be off on vacation...

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:24 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
To add to this, I wonder if anyone else is concerned about things getting financially worse and that maybe now's not the best time to spend thousands.
I don't know. It seems like I'm the only one in my circles who isn't buying new cars, going to Israel, redoing their kitchen.
We're ok but tight. But I won't dig into my savings. I feel like we should save it.

Also I wonder about tuition. Do you think its ok to negotiate tuition discounts and then spend those thousands on vacations (assuming the tuition committee doesn't ask about vacations).
I have acquaintances who have called me a loser and naive for paying what they ask of me. Apparently I should be negotiating down $6000 so that I can take my family skiing in Colorado.

The tuition thing I vote not it’s not ok. But I send to a small school where every tuition is making a difference and where the rebbeim are the real deal, not being supported by family businesses, devoting their lives to the students. I highly value them and therefore won’t ask for a reduction.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics