Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
CC Points 101 for travel

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:39 pm
We have a CC that has a good cash back rate but it seems like we are the only ones that aren’t getting free vacations on CC. Before the summer vacation comes I want to start playing this game any tips?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:48 pm
many ppl sell their points for money and pay their vacation that way. most points cannot be used for all vacation needs. some pay for certain hotels and some points pay for flights.

many times the flight is more expensive with points than cash, so you have to know what you're doing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:41 am
Thanks anyone else?

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:46 am
Are you looking for it to pay for the whole vacation or just pieces of it? Airline cards are the best for flights, hotel cards for hotels. Chase typically has the best points portal for redeeming points but like another poster said, a lot of things are more expensive than cash and a lot of people just sell their points and use the money for vacations and again with that Chase points are the best, sapphire card usually having the highest signup bonus if your credit is good enough to get it.

Most people going on vacations on points have been doing this for years. I wouldn’t open a credit card now expecting to go to Orlando this Pesach. It’s a long game

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:01 am
You gotta start reading Dansdeals.forums

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:33 am
In order to have loads of points you need to open multiple credit cards and spend and use it wisely

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:39 am
You can accumulate miles by opening cards that have large bonuses once you spend a certain amount within the first few months of opening. Also keep in mind some people have a business where they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars of their business expenses on a credit card. Realistically an individual is never going to spend enough to earn enough miles for a vacation for a whole family.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:01 am
The sign-up bonuses are the key to accruing lots of points. While it's nice to get 1-5 points per dollar for grocery shopping, everyday expenses aren't going to add up to nearly enough for your big family trip. But sign-up bonuses of 50-100k+ per card (and you and DH can each get each card) add up quickly.

The key is to be organized about meeting the spending requirements on time and most importantly, being able to pay off the balance in full each month so you don't accrue interest and late fees.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:04 am
You can also contact someone from the miles biz they know the ins and outs

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:43 am
So Op I don't know the exact answer to your question but this is what I did.

When a new bonus points offer comes for a credit card I usually look into that plus the cards earnings and that should help.

The cards for example that I got (and some I regret ) for example was chase Sapphire preferred with 100 000 bonus points which was worth 100 dollars or 1250 on travel at the moment now combined with the other chase cards I have minus the small get away I had with my dh I have 141k points in chase

Jet blue credit card had an offer (I was surprised it wasn't advertised anywhere) for 80k points (usually 60) which is worth 800 dollars (or maybe more) on tickets flight tickets and 5000 annual points yearly
A benefit of this card (and other flight cards as well) is that you can get one free checked bag per customer (as long as the card holder is on the flight) when flying domestically
We used this benefit recently (not for vacation but for chasuna) and saved over 100 dollars in baggage
Annual cost is 99 dollars

I have not used the points yet

There was a time where amex Hilton card was offering 80k (which here the points are almost worthless as it's half a ceent per point but hearing the number 80k tricked me) bonus points plus 1 free hotel night in any Hilton resort that we wish (even Conrad or Waldorf Astoria). There is no fee for this card.

So seeing my situation you could get a vacation maybe up to 2000 dollars (with what I have now)but after that you start again with nothing

I don't know how much Florida vacation costs but if it's something like 300 a night then even this won't really earn you enough... For sure if it's one of those that cost 750 and up a night

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:20 am
Dandelion gave some wonderful concrete advice about specific cards and their benefits. One minor correction: I don't think the no-fee Hilton card comes with a free night at any Hilton property (Waldorf etc.). There is such a benefit, but I believe it only comes with the much more expensive Hilton Aspire card, which has an annual fee of $450. If I am wrong, please correct me (so I can get the card!).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:23 am
Thank you all. So if I want to start accruing points for travel either this summer or next winter I would start opening a card or two now, or wait until closer?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:24 am
Anyone know of any good cards that work with Marriott hotels?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:44 am
Not sure if it's still available but about a month ago chase ink had a great sign up bonus offer for 90k points for two business cards after you meet the spending requirements. Check dansdeals if it's still active. Myself and my husband both signed up for the cards and we will each receive 180k points which are worth about 1800 if you have no other chase cards. If you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve or Sapphire Preferred they are worth more. Chase allows you to book travel on their website for hotels and airlines A $1000 flight can be redeemed for 100k points. We find this the simplest way to pay for hotels and flights since the points can be used for any hotels and flights that are on Expedia and you are not limited to any specific brand.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:49 am
It’s usually only worthwhile to use points for flights if u book business or first class.

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:13 pm
doctorima wrote:
Dandelion gave some wonderful concrete advice about specific cards and their benefits. One minor correction: I don't think the no-fee Hilton card comes with a free night at any Hilton property (Waldorf etc.). There is such a benefit, but I believe it only comes with the much more expensive Hilton Aspire card, which has an annual fee of $450. If I am wrong, please correct me (so I can get the card!).
At the time when I applied (last feb) it was a free night. Now I dont think they offer

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone know of any good cards that work with Marriott hotels?

There are several. Marriott is unique in that they have cards available through both Amex and Chase, and both personal and business options, which makes it easy to amass massive amounts of Marriott points very quickly. My go-to site to find the best current sign-up offers is:

https://frequentmiler.com/best.....fers/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics