Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Simple dinners under $10
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:39 pm
gdgirl wrote:
sorry to burst your bubble OP but Im pretty sure mixed grind isnt healthier- they use the dark chicken or other fatty parts which are likely as fatty as ground beef and you dont know what the fat content of the beef part is. if you want healthy you can mix ground white chicken and lean beef but it wont be cheap...

I used to grind my own chicken in the food processor for this reason unless I was getting the 99% fat free white turkey or chicken meat.

They will grind up the skin and loads of fat in order to bulk it up - it is truly a "mystery" meat.

You would never actually want to eat it if you saw what they put in there.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:44 pm
gdgirl wrote:
sorry to burst your bubble OP but Im pretty sure mixed grind isnt healthier- they use the dark chicken or other fatty parts which are likely as fatty as ground beef and you dont know what the fat content of the beef part is. if you want healthy you can mix ground white chicken and lean beef but it wont be cheap...

Still better than skipping chicken and beef from your diet entirely. And it's natural unlike bologna.

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:50 pm
amother Milk wrote:
Still better than skipping chicken and beef from your diet entirely. And it's natural unlike bologna.

Better than what?

The thread only asked for cheap and easy meals - didn't specify anything about nutrition or health because a lot of the choices really aren't nutritious so the actual cost of the food based on nutrition is pretty high - I.e. hot dogs and bologna really have little nutritional value and are expensive based on their nutritional value.

You can eat cheap and healthy - or relatively so and you can prepare meals ahead of time by making big pots of stuff so it is "easy" to get food on the table quickly but it is almost impossible to produce healthy, cheap FAST food.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:56 pm
I can't say for sure about the content of the mixed grind I buy. However when I do cook it down it isn't that much less than when it started out with. Also when I made ground beef there was much more fat coming out of it.

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:40 pm
Evergreen in Lakewood sells wings for $0.69 if you buy at least 10lb
[quote]

I called them and they said no. Was it a one time thing?

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:44 pm
amf wrote:
What is mixed grind? Is that a UK term for ground meat?

No. I'm from UK and never heard of it.
In England we usually call it minced meat, not ground beef.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:05 pm
lentil chili and cornbread,
roasted sweet potato chips, black beans, rice, cilantro, mango or pineapple salsa
shakshuka with baked potatoes or pita
tofu curry with rice

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:35 pm
Shakshuka and Rice

2lb bag rice $2
Diced tomatoes $1.50 (I often use two cans)
Jar salsa $2.50 (I know not traditional. I use about half per can of diced tomatoes)
Bag frozen diced green peppers $1.50
Onion $.75
Dozen eggs $3 (I use 6-9)
Total = about $10, depending on how much you make

Make rice in 9x13 in oven with oil and salt. (2 lb bag will make a pan full to the top)
Saute onion and frozen peppers in deep large frying pan.
Pour in diced tomatoes and salsa.
Spice with salt, pepper, garlic, and I like to add some cayenne pepper.
When sauce is bubbling, check eggs and pour into different spots on the pan.
Let simmer, optionally cover, until eggs look done.
Serve over rice.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:41 pm
Spaghetti and Tuna Sauce
(fancier than tuna pasta salad)

1lb box spaghetti $1
2 cans tuna $2.50 each
Garlic $.50 head (or use frozen cubes)
Hothouse cucumber $1
Total = $7.50

Prepare spaghetti according to package instructions.
Slice cucumber.

Saute 2 cloves garlic in 4 tbsp (about a quarter cup) margarine or oil
Stir in 2 tbsp flour to make a paste
While stirring, slowly pour in 2 cups water to make a roux (original recipe also suggested white wine or fish stock but I just use water)
Season with parsley, salt, pepper, and thyme.
Add in 2 cans of tuna (I use in water and don't drain the liquid)
Once tuna is heated through, serve over spaghetti with cucumber slices on the side.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:47 pm
Bean Soup & Fresh Rolls

Onion $.75
2 large cans kidney beans $2.50 each (I use one each dark and light)
Jar salsa $2.50 (I use half)
Rhodes rolls $5 bag of 36
Total = about $10 depending on how much you make

Prepare rolls according to package directions. (As many as you plan on using)

Saute onion in 6 quart pot.
Pour in beans.
Pour in about half of the jar of salsa.
Fill rest of pot with water.
(Seasoning further is optional, the salsa is pretty good seasoning already)
Bring to boil and let simmer for 15 minutes.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:50 pm
Baked Ziti

1 box pasta $1
1 bag frozen shredded cheese $4.50
1 jar pasta sauce $2
Total = $7.50 per pan

Mix shredded cheese with pasta sauce in 9x13.
Refill sauce jar with water (some use milk) and add to mixture.
Pour in box of pasta and mix.
Cover and bake 90+ minutes. (oven times vary)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:55 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
No. I'm from UK and never heard of it.
In England we usually call it minced meat, not ground beef.

KRM sells something they call mixed grind, which is ground chicken and beef mixed together and it's a bit cheaper than the regular ground beef.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:56 pm
gdgirl wrote:

I assume this is true for ground beef too? Or is it specifically for the mixed grind?

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:14 am
[quote="amother Clematis"]Evergreen in Lakewood sells wings for $0.69 if you buy at least 10lb
Quote:

I called them and they said no. Was it a one time thing?

Every week I go there to buy my chicken, they have a few different trays with different prices
The 1lb-3lb start at $0.99 and go to $2 something
Then they have big trays of about 5Lb that start at $0.69, those trays I find come in cycles some times they have a lot sometimes they have nothing.

The last few weeks they had tons of them when I went.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:27 am
amother Snapdragon wrote:
Do all of you who eat such light dinner eat a really large lunch? We would not be satiated with just bean soup or the like. We're healthy weight people but we still eat more than that.

No lunch we eat school meals (my husband and I are both teachers), typically it's pretty light because the food is not always to my taste.
If it's bean soup for dinner I would serve it with a carb like bread or pasta.
No one is going to bed hungry but we also can't afford a proper carb and vegetable for every meal.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:56 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I assume this is true for ground beef too? Or is it specifically for the mixed grind?

I think the answer is difficult because people have different views of what is "healthy" even in terms of animal protein and some people try to limit intake of animal fat.

Within the context of the original post, the implication seemed to be that chicken was a healthier food than beef. Some people do try to limit the consumption of beef versus other sources of protein but there are people who follow different diets where animal fat isn't considered to be unhealthy.

What some people were pointing out is that when you buy commercial ground poultry, it generally contains a lot of stuff that most people wouldn't knowingly eat or at least try to limit. Most people trim fat off meat and chicken skin isn't considered to be healthy.

This is also true of ground beef to some extent as many people will select lower fat ground meat to limit consumption of beef fat.

On a different note I am surprised that kosher chicken wings are so inexpensive because NON KOSHER chicken wings are very expensive - even in 10 pound quantity from Walmart (cheapest source) they are about $3.50 per pound on sale. And they are actually a very expensive item even if the cost per pound is relatively low because they contain very little nutritional meat - skin, fat, gristle and bone constitute most of the weight. Drumsticks are a much better nutritional buy because there is more meat on each drumstick relatively to its weight.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:36 am
scruffy wrote:
Cottage cheese pancakes - these are delicious and really healthy

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
6 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon

Sometimes I'll add just a bit of sugar/ honey to the batter. It's very slightly naturally sweet.

Blend in blender until smooth. Cook in nonstick pan (you need to make small pancakes with this recipe - don't need to oil pan first but wipe out well between batches)

Thanks for this recipe! They were great!

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:37 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
Gefilte fish in veggies and tomato sauce -

If you get the gefilte fish rolls on sale (I've seen them for $4) sautee onion and peppers, add tomato sauce, water, salt and sugar, slice two rolls of gefilte fish and submerge in sauce. Cook. Serve with macaroni or rice.

With the peppers it's a little over $10.

Who eats GEFILTE during the week?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:45 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
Is 1/2 lb ground meat and 1/2 a box of pasta really enough for 5 ppl.
We must have really big appetites in our house
Or do you have 3 kids under the age of 3 so it’s more like feeding 3 ppl.

No it’s definitely not enough

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:51 pm
Amarante wrote:
As I posted it is pretty traditional to "pair" dishes - I.e. crusty bread with a bowl of hearty vegetable soup.

Soup and half a sandwich.

Part of satisfying "appetite" is a variety of color and textures and flavors in a meal.

It also works against us because we can be very full from a meal and yet still have an appetite for a dessert that is a different flavor and texture than a meal. It is also why sweet and salty snacks can often be eaten in larger quantity than just a sweet or salty.

Soup and half a sandwich? Who gets satisfied with that?
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics