Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What to give Shabbos Hospitality Hosts OOT

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:46 pm
Hi, we are going OOT for Shabbos to visit a community we are potentially looking to relocate to.
Weve never done this before, and we've really only been away to family, so I really don't know the etiquette, etc.

What do we bring our hosts? We will be sleeping there for Shabbos and eating there Friday night. We will be eating somewhere else Shabbos morning - what do we give them and when? Not sure if we will meet them before Shabbos although I guess we can always drop something off before Shabbos?

Thanks in advance for your help 😊

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:08 pm
if it's a small oot community, think of what they probably don't have access to. parve chocolates, shabbos lamp, havdallah candle, nosh and super snacks...

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:32 pm
cookbook

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:40 am
Bump- it's not such a small OOT community - they have groceries and restaurants.

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:18 am
We have hosted in this situation multiple times. A candy/ chocolate platter or bottle of wine is appropriate. (You may want to ask if they have allergies and buy accordingly).

And the same for the lunch meal. If there is an eruv and it is for the meal bring it with you, if not see if you can drop it off before shabbat.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:35 am
Flowers for the host family
Fri night ,wine or candy shabbos meals

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:38 am
I find a nice lucite type washing cup always a good gift for these situations bec even if ppl have you can always use more or a new one. I prefer gift over food or flowered bec it lasts but food is always nice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics