Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Nieces wedding

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:39 pm
What do u wear to nieces wedding? Gown or shabbos dress? What do my girls wear to their cousins wedding? Gowns or Shabbos dress? This is first one and we have no clue what to do. Do we get hair and makeup done?

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:50 pm
We wear dresses and do makeup ourselves
But depends on the family?
Are there sisterinlaws you can ask?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:03 pm
Really depends on the closeness. My niece is getting married and we're really close. I'm doing a gown, getting face and wig done iyh.

But not all my sister in laws are.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:06 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Really depends on the closeness. My niece is getting married and we're really close. I'm doing a gown, getting face and wig done iyh.

But not all my sister in laws are.

A regular fancy gown or a simpler one??

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
A regular fancy gown or a simpler one??

Elegant.

Its my sister's daughter, btw.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:39 pm
Thanks
Got to figure this out
Don’t want to rent gowns for $500
Maybe gmach gown?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:41 pm
Yours and your dds best dresses and jewelry should be fine.

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
What do u wear to nieces wedding? Gown or shabbos dress? What do my girls wear to their cousins wedding? Gowns or Shabbos dress? This is first one and we have no clue what to do. Do we get hair and makeup done?

It depends how close you are to your sister/sil/niece and how close your daughters are to their cousin

Also a good idea is to ask the kallah what she prefers.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:49 pm
I wear gowns. Usually buy off Saks or Nordstrom or Nieman Marcus or something and then I alter it
I have a lot of nieces and nephews weddings so I buy a new one about once a year

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:08 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
I wear gowns. Usually buy off Saks or Nordstrom or Nieman Marcus or something and then I alter it
I have a lot of nieces and nephews weddings so I buy a new one about once a year

Do u have any links? I don’t know where to start

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:13 pm
We don't wear gowns, just a nicer party/ evening dress regardless of how close I feel.

My dress doesn't reflect the level of simcha I feel, & I'd never openly "discriminate" against my nephew because he's my brother's son who lives an hour away in lieu of my sister's daughter who lives down the road.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:02 am
Thank you everyone
Got to figure this out

amother
Lightcyan

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:08 am
Elegant maxi dress for myself (not a gown), elegant simcha wear for the girls. Most stores have simcha dresses that are more elegant than the typical shabbos dress.

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:47 am
I will wear an evening dress....more dressy than a regular shabbos but definitely not a gown. My daughter happens to be a professional make up artist, so if it works out I may have her do my face. If she can't do it ,I'll do it myself.

mamaleh

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 5:56 am
Are you the only aunt? If not, discuss it with them. We are a bunch of aunts & cousins and each wedding was a little different. The first couple (when most of the girls were younger) we did matching (gemach) gowns for the cousins but I think the tantas wore regular Shabbos (or a bit fancier, but not gowns). The more recent ones (lots of teenage cousins) we left it up to them to decide, they mostly did fancier outfits/dresses but not necessarily gowns (& definitely not matching).

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 8:40 am
In my family aunts wear either a really nice long dress, so now gown gown but not a regular simcha dress either. Cousins range from something like that for older girls to pretty party dresses for little girls. Nellystella is a very popular option. Depending on the family some will do gowns for all the cousins some not. Makeup always got it done, but I don’t do it well myself. Wig I do a fresh wash and set but no updo etc

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:31 am
Any links to long dress?
I don’t know where to start

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 3:58 pm
Depends on rest of family dress code really.

I’ve had 2 niece/nephew wedding so far. I didn’t wear a full huge gown, but it was definitely a long evening dress, kind of straightish. Not something I’d wear to a friend bar mitzvah. Definitely only for a wedding.

My kids wore long evening but not big puffy gowns. My older daughter wore something from needle and thread, Aline. Two younger daughter wore long evening dresses that I found in local stores. They were clearly for evening but not fancy enough for Kallah sister gowns. They were simple design, no petticoat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics