Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
10 year old son refuses to take antibiotics
Previous  1  2  3  Next

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:41 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Can he swallow a pill if he eats it in applesauce or pudding? For folks (often elderly) who have a hard time swallowing, this is often what they do to facilitate taking meds.

I actually do that for myself haha. I taught myself how to swallow pills as a young adult but only small ones and capsules. Other things I break in two or three pieces and hide in something.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:42 pm
Has he tried chewable? The downside is I think you need two tablets at a time.

Ask your doctor if there are any small antibiotic pills (I know most are large). If there are, I can try to help guide you on teaching him how to swallow (very small tablets). My daughter just learned and while it's not easy we learned some tricks along the way.

Another option is a non sweetened liquid antibiotic. It might be sharp and unpleasant, ask him if prefers to just taste the medicine for what it is without the compounded liquids.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:49 pm
Pay him to take it

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:14 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
Pay him to take it

I’ve tried every bribe I could think of
Now I’m up to punishments

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:18 pm
I have another child like that who could not handle liquid meds. At a young age she learned how to swallow and life has been much easier ever since.
This child is not swallowing pills. If I mix it with applesauce or ice cream he swallows everything but the pill.
Most antibiotic pills are quite large so I don’t think that would be the right pill to learn on.
The chewables wouldn’t help because again we would be dealing with flavor that he finds nauseating.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:22 pm
No sweet flavors, but does he like chocolate? We chased liquid augmentin down with a spoonful of chocolate syrup and it worked. But to this day, my adult son says he’s “allergic” to liquid Augmentin

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:23 pm
There’s a special cup I got from Amazon (it’s blue) that teaches a person to swallow pills. Look it up- will arrive next day. Worth a try. My kids learned with it.

sarahmalka

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:30 pm
Hugs OP your frustration is coming through loud and clear! Lots of good ideas already suggested, like suppository, or ask for different flavor from pharmacy. I hear DS doesn't like overly sweet stuff, how about mild creamy like yogurt or vanilla/lemon pudding? Maybe that would go down easier. Definitely hold the nose while swallowing, to reduce the taste perception.
In the near future when things aren't so acute, some tips for helping him learn to swallow pills: start with tiny things like mini M-n-Ms, or tic tac, or little vitamin D pearl. Teach him to put it all the way on the back of his tongue. Big swallow of water. Takes practice

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:34 pm
So I forced him with anger and threats after hours of trying. He gagged and some of the medicine didn’t go down. Of course now I feel bad and wish I didn’t show such frustration. I told him to hold his nose and have a cup of water ready… didn’t help
He’s not talking to me anymore. I told him to get ready for bed. Usually I tuck him in and talk to him for a few minutes. Tonight he had his head turned to the wall and won’t talk. I saw tears running down his cheeks that he probably didn’t want me to see. This will be something we will both never forget. I feel horrible.
I showed him the new yarmulka and tzitzis I bought him today and told him he could wear them tomorrow… no response… I asked him if I need to sign something he brought home.. no response
I can’t force him to swallow a pill anymore than I can force him to swallow the liquid… I don’t know what the solution is. There are no suppositories - I asked when he was much younger- not that I would be okay giving a suppository to such a big kid…I heard that other countries do have antibiotic suppositories but it’s not available here.
Aside from force which I think is terrible probably the only other thing is to be hospitalized and given antibiotics through an IV. He shouldn’t need to be hospitalized for strep!!
I’m feeling so horrible and frustrated now. He needs to take his medicine a total of 20 times. It’s day 7 and he only took it 7 times. I don’t know what will be…
Obviously I need my child to be healthy but not just physically, emotionally too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:35 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
There’s a special cup I got from Amazon (it’s blue) that teaches a person to swallow pills. Look it up- will arrive next day. Worth a try. My kids learned with it.

Can you share the link?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:47 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
Hugs OP your frustration is coming through loud and clear! Lots of good ideas already suggested, like suppository, or ask for different flavor from pharmacy. I hear DS doesn't like overly sweet stuff, how about mild creamy like yogurt or vanilla/lemon pudding? Maybe that would go down easier. Definitely hold the nose while swallowing, to reduce the taste perception.
In the near future when things aren't so acute, some tips for helping him learn to swallow pills: start with tiny things like mini M-n-Ms, or tic tac, or little vitamin D pearl. Teach him to put it all the way on the back of his tongue. Big swallow of water. Takes practice

I will buy mini things to work on the swallowing. He didn’t need medication for a few years up until now so it wasn’t even something on my mind.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:49 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
No sweet flavors, but does he like chocolate? We chased liquid augmentin down with a spoonful of chocolate syrup and it worked. But to this day, my adult son says he’s “allergic” to liquid Augmentin

I’ve done the chocolate syrup. He says it’s horrible. He usually does like chocolate. Of course I tried mixing in chocolate milk too.. he won’t drink it.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
So I forced him with anger and threats after hours of trying. He gagged and some of the medicine didn’t go down. Of course now I feel bad and wish I didn’t show such frustration. I told him to hold his nose and have a cup of water ready… didn’t help
He’s not talking to me anymore. I told him to get ready for bed. Usually I tuck him in and talk to him for a few minutes. Tonight he had his head turned to the wall and won’t talk. I saw tears running down his cheeks that he probably didn’t want me to see. This will be something we will both never forget. I feel horrible.
I showed him the new yarmulka and tzitzis I bought him today and told him he could wear them tomorrow… no response… I asked him if I need to sign something he brought home.. no response
I can’t force him to swallow a pill anymore than I can force him to swallow the liquid… I don’t know what the solution is. There are no suppositories - I asked when he was much younger- not that I would be okay giving a suppository to such a big kid…I heard that other countries do have antibiotic suppositories but it’s not available here.
Aside from force which I think is terrible probably the only other thing is to be hospitalized and given antibiotics through an IV. He shouldn’t need to be hospitalized for strep!!
I’m feeling so horrible and frustrated now. He needs to take his medicine a total of 20 times. It’s day 7 and he only took it 7 times. I don’t know what will be…
Obviously I need my child to be healthy but not just physically, emotionally too.

Your son’s a big kid, I have a son that age too. Similar in the way that he barely drinks juice and won’t touch candy. (Actually he won’t go near anyone else eating candy cuz he can’t even stand the smell.) I’m finally feeling ‘normal’ hearing that my son’s not the only one who x like candy.

You feel so guilty about how this whole thing is playing out. You probably told your son, but in case you didn’t- make sure he understands that you wish he didn’t have to take the medicine. You wish there was a way to accomplish what needs to be done in the easiest way possible. Go over the options with him. Say the pros and cons for each one. Let him choose his best option. You’re on his side.
It’s a shame he seems to be upset at you over this whole saga- when it’s not really your fault.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:55 pm
I am thinking about collaborative problem solving. Getting him thinking about and solving the problem with you, because right now it seems like a major mom vs kid battle where he is trying to escape from your evil demands.

In the collaborative method, there are no demands. There are two people having their concerns heard and thinking of mutually satisfactory solutions.

https://livesinthebalance.org/walking-tour

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Aww poor kid. When it comes to medication he sounds so similar to my dd. But she wouldn’t be silently crying like that. She recovers fast. I got her to learn to take capsules mostly by threatening her, and yes it was very unpleasant but she bounced back quickly. If she’d had that kind of reaction I would have struggled too.

Btw she still makes a fuss over taking any kind of medication even though she’s been doing it a few years at this point. Every capsule needs both bribes and threats to get down. It’s so so frustrating. But at least she doesn’t hold it against me long term.

If you’re looking for things to try I bought this straw. It didn’t work for her though. In the end I yelled loud enough that she stuck the capsule in her mouth and gagged it down.

https://medistraw.com/

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:04 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I am thinking about collaborative problem solving. Getting him thinking about and solving the problem with you, because right now it seems like a major mom vs kid battle where he is trying to escape from your evil demands.

In the collaborative method, there are no demands. There are two people having their concerns heard and thinking of mutually satisfactory solutions.

https://livesinthebalance.org/walking-tour
I’ve tried that method but it doesn’t work when there’s something that has no middle ground. Dd absolutely needed to take the medicine and absolutely wouldn’t do it. According to this method I would plan c her because she isn’t ready for plan b. Well that’s not an option when it’s something like medication for strep.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:07 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
I’ve tried that method but it doesn’t work when there’s something that has no middle ground. Dd absolutely needed to take the medicine and absolutely wouldn’t do it. According to this method I would plan c her because she isn’t ready for plan b. Well that’s not an option when it’s something like medication for strep.

True, certain kids take time to be receptive to Plan B after years of Plan A. But I think Plan B is still worth a try. So far, the standard tools of control--punishment and reward--are not working.

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:11 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
True, certain kids take time to be receptive to Plan B after years of Plan A. But I think Plan B is still worth a try. So far, the standard tools of control--punishment and reward--are not working.
She hasn’t had years of plan a. I read the book when she was 2. She has adhd as well as other diagnoses which developed after I read the book and learned the program. It’s very idealistic and doesn’t always work.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:17 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
She hasn’t had years of plan a. I read the book when she was 2. She has adhd as well as other diagnoses which developed after I read the book and learned the program. It’s very idealistic and doesn’t always work.

I wouldn't really call it that--Greene acknowledges that the first solution often doesn't work, why that might be, and other problems that arise. He works with the most 'difficult' children, in schools as well as the prison system.

I joined the official Facebook group The B Team which has a lot of real scenarios and good advice from moderators.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 5:23 pm
Would he prefer a bitter flavor?
Ask the pharmacist to make some without sugar as plain as possible.

Don’t force him. This shouldn’t destroy your relationship. Problem solve with him. Ask him what flavors and textures can he handle and move heaven and earth to get it for him.

A bitter powder mixed with plain yogurt might work for him.
Find a solution that works.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children