Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Raspberries/Blackberries - can you eat them?
Previous  1  2  3

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 1:14 am
amother Brass wrote:
How is frozen ok?

Not sure. I'm not sure there's actual raspberries, I don't think it is to be honest in the ones I buy. It has a very good hashgacha and it's labeled mixed berries. I think it's more blueberries, acaia, and other random berries with more of a tart taste.

I just know frozen blueberries and strawberries are a sad comparison to fresh, and I only can imagine raspberries to be the same.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 1:18 am
Rappel wrote:
There is a family here whom grow blackberries in a hermetic greenhouse, so we're lucky. Otherwise, I don't know how one could possibly clean them.

Do they sell and ship them???

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 1:54 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Do they sell and ship them???

Unfortunately, not. But when they're in season, they invite everyone to come and pick, so the berries don't go to waste

The high school here is selling mehadrin strawberries, thought I don't know if they ship.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:03 am
Rappel wrote:
Unfortunately, not. But when they're in season, they invite everyone to come and pick, so the berries don't go to waste

The high school here is selling mehadrin strawberries, thought I don't know if they ship.

I'd love to come and pick, that sounds amazing.

Strawberry are easy to find

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 4:58 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/WwmAK22.jpg

https://I.imgur.com/r5XKgA0.jpg

How can this be certified by the OU if purée ingredients doesn’t help the bug situation?

I learned that if it was blended by a non Jew, it’s allowed for some odd reason, if you request for it to be blended then it’s not ok, so you can’t do that in a Jewish restaurant with non Jews serving. but if you buy it and was already blended by a non Jew it’s ok.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 5:48 am
For those who say that even blending can never make raspberriescand blackberries permitted - they definity do sell raspberry- and blackberry jams with hechsherim here. How did the jam get kosher?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:16 am
amother Salmon wrote:
For those who say that even blending can never make raspberriescand blackberries permitted - they definity do sell raspberry- and blackberry jams with hechsherim here. How did the jam get kosher?

Sometimes they will purée and then filter out only the juice through a fine filter and use it to flavor other items. Is the jam pure raspberry or just an ingredient?

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:20 am
amother Salmon wrote:

Actually I think I've bought that as well in the past. It was not fully filtered as it had seeds etc. Confit for sure.

farmom

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:36 am
amother Salmon wrote:

I learned that if it is done by a non Jewish company, it's ok

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:02 am
It makes me uncomfortable so I make a point of buying only seedless raspberry jelly.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:39 am
I asked the star-k this question today, they said raspberries and blackberries are not recommended because can not properly be checked for bugs, they said EVEN if it will be pureed in a smoothie (this differs from stawrberries, broccoli and cauliflower which is ok pureed and not checked)
The star-K is pretty widely accepted as a reliable source
This is in the US only

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:04 pm
farmom wrote:
I learned that if it is done by a non Jewish company, it's ok

As mentioned previously, blended by a non-Jew makes no difference. It is a little more complicated than that. The Star-K (?) gives comprehensive instructions - also mentioned previously in this thread.

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:26 pm
Growing up we always ate all berries - after washing them carefully. But nowadays it is almost impossible to clean. There can be little yellow bugs (thrips) hiding between the druplets. They are about 1-2 mm long and almost impossible to get them all out.

Certain berries/vegetables/fruit are considered infested in some places / times of year, while other places/times of year they are not. (maybe nowadays since all produce is shipped all over the world at all times of year they are all the same.) Therefore there is also different advice from different kashrus agencies. Best is to stick to your local Vaad / kashrus agency as to what produce can be eaten & the approved method/s of cleaning needed for different produce. Dropping them on a white paper-towel / plate can sometimes dislodge bugs. If more than 3 bugs fall out you can consider it to be infested.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:49 pm
I had a tiny live white worm jump out of a cherry. Awful!
I haven't eaten cherries since

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:56 pm
amother Lime wrote:
I had a tiny live white worm jump out of a cherry. Awful!
I haven't eaten cherries since

A maggot?!
TMI Sick

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:03 pm
Kedem sells raspberry syrup.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen