Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Cooking 101

gr82no

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:16 am
Please post here something basic that everyone knows how to do but you don’t
For example how do you make scrambled eggs so that is not crumby and fully cooked? (I’m asking for real.
I feel so stupid asking these things irl but I need to know. All the recipes just assume you know these things.
Also how do you make potatoes for mashed potatoes? When do you put the potatoes in and for how long do you cook it and at what fire?
Please post answers and your basic questions!

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:42 am
They most critical element to good creamy scrambled eggs is cooking them over low heat and constantly moving them with a spatula. Cook them in a nonstick pan.

This has an elaborate directions but honestly the key is mixing the eggs well before adding to a pan and cooking them over low heat.

Also remove them before you think they are done - when they are still fairly creamy looking - because they will continue to cook for a bit after you remove

https://www.inspiredtaste.net/.....cipe/

Here is a recipe from Joy of Cooking

ABOUT SCRAMBLED EGGS

Scrambled eggs are no exception to egg controversy: Some like them soft and almost custard-like, others prefer them dry and with large curds. Some eccentric souls “framble” their eggs by cracking them right into the skillet and scrambling them haphazardly with a spatula.
To prepare soft and creamy scrambled eggs, beat the eggs until the whites and yolks are completely blended and cook them over low heat. The addition of a small amount of milk, half-and-half, or yogurt will keep the eggs tender, as will salt or a little lemon juice. Infrequent stirring produces large curds; constant stirring results in smaller, creamier curds.

To prepare fluffy scrambled eggs, egg whites beaten to firm peaks may be added to whole eggs in the proportion of 1 additional white to each 3 whole eggs.

Contrary to popular belief, seasoning the eggs with salt before cooking does not toughen them. Soft cheeses like fresh goat cheese may be whisked in before cooking as well. Add Cheddar and other aged cheeses at the end of cooking, folding them into the warm eggs to melt; adding earlier may cause the oil to separate out of the cheese, making for a greasy scramble. Remove the eggs from the pan just before they reach the desired consistency, as the residual heat will continue to cook them briefly. For a vegetarian or vegan alternative, see Tofu Scramble.”

Excerpt From: Irma S. Rombauer. “Joy of Cooking.” Apple Books.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:06 pm
Mashed Potatoes:
Fill a pot 3/4 with water. Add a palmful of salt. (Amount doesn't really matter, just pour)
Turn on flame to medium high.
Peel potatoes, add to the water. Cover pot
When the water bubbles, reduce flame size slightly so that there are slight bubbles, but no water jumping out of the pot.
After 40 minutes pierce the potatoes with a fork. If it's soft and the fork goes down, it's ready. If not, leave it on the flame until the fork enters smoothly.

Now for the mashed part:
Take potatoes and mash them.
Add some water from the pot used to boil the potatoes to make it creamy. Adjust amount to the texture you like. More water=more creamy.
Add salt and pepper. I sometimes add rosemary spice too.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:12 pm
I wanted to add that every kitchen should have The Joy of Cooking as a reference even if you don't cook the actual recipes.

It provides basic information on every conceivable type of food and how to cook it along with concise explanations of why you use that technique - or it provides alternative techniques.

I have two copies - one that belonged to my mother and one that is the latest updated version.

America's Test Kitchen also provides great information in achieving the best results and gives very expect directions with explanations as to why they decided on the final version after extensive testing. However it rules more on actual recipes (which are quite good FWIW) and Joy is much more of a Bible in terms of looking up every conceivable ingredient and learning how to use it best.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:16 pm
Adding a raw egg while you are mashing them makes the potatoes creamier. It gets cooked by the heat of the potatoes. If you don't need them to be parev, add milk instead of water, and a piece of butter.

If you cut them into chunks instead of boiling them whole, they cook quicker.

I like to add a sweet potato and nach it up with the rest. It makes the taste richer. If you want, you can also add fried onions when you are mashing the potatoes.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:31 pm
Also the type of potato used for mashed potatoes is important.

The standard best potato to use is a Russet potato because of its high starch content.

However I love Yukon Gold potatoes because of their creamy buttery taste. Even if I am not making "mashed potatoes" they are so delicious just smashed on the plate.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:33 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Adding a raw egg while you are mashing them makes the potatoes creamier. It gets cooked by the heat of the potatoes. If you don't need them to be parev, add milk instead of water, and a piece of butter.

If you cut them into chunks instead of boiling them whole, they cook quicker.

I like to add a sweet potato and nach it up with the rest. It makes the taste richer. If you want, you can also add fried onions when you are mashing the potatoes.

Never heard of the raw egg idea.
How many eggs do you put in?

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:38 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
Never heard of the raw egg idea.
How many eggs do you put in?

Normally just one. If I'm making a large quantity maybe two. I just pour it over the potatoes and start mashing. It gets absorbed and cooked, but you shouldn't see any egg. It becomes part of the conglomerate whole.

yachnabobba

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:45 pm
Season food from a height this way it is evenly distributed. Season with authority
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics