Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Uppababy Minu V2 as primary stroller
Previous  1  2

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:20 pm
Something else to consider and I know it's hard to think of that now, but a stroller doesn't have to be for life. As your life changes and things change, what worked perfectly at one stage might not be suitable later.
When I had my first, we didn't have a car. I walked everywhere. I had a bugaboo (second hand inherited but in great shape). The bugaboo was a great push and it was fine, but once we got a car, it was a terrible stroller for me. The fold is awkward and it's very large folded and it folded into 2 pieces.
So I ended up buying something smaller and more suitable for the change in lifestyle.
I know we always want the perfect stroller and for it to tick every one of our requirements, but that unicorn stroller doesn't really exist. (although the city mini gt does come close).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:32 pm
Turns out the g2 bassinet was discontinued too Sad

City mini’s website says you can use the carriage for newborns because it reclines enough. Just add neck support. Think I can do that and it will be comfortable?

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
About the bumper bar, I’ve heard people saying once their kids are bigger, they don’t bother strapping them in to the stroller and just rely on the bumper bar to keep them in. Don’t know if that’s very unsafe, would see how I feel when my baby is at that stage. What do you think of that though? Also people say their baby loves the bumper bar, makes the carriage more comfortable.
My oldest didn't like the bumper bar. And my neighbor at the time had a stroller with a bumper bar and her 3 year old fell out and broke their arm. So between the 2 of them I took mine off and it ended up breaking. I didn't bother with any bars after that.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
The gt does have a bassinet still but it has foam wheels which I think aren’t the greatest? Would prefer rubber but don’t know if it actually makes a big difference. Any idea?

The city mini gt has a great push.

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:22 pm
amother OP wrote:

City mini’s website says you can use the carriage for newborns because it reclines enough. Just add neck support. Think I can do that and it will be comfortable?

It is fine for newborns to use the seat, but many people like the cosiness of the bassinet and that it's parent facing. It can't have been discontinued for long. Usually discontinued means they've stopped making new stock, but that doesn't mean you can't get stock that was already made. Many stores will still be stocking it until they run out of the stock. I would be surprised if you couldn't buy it anywhere.
The other thing you can get is a soft bassinet or cocoon to make the seat more comfortable. Look at the bugaboo bee cocoon for what I mean. A lot of them will be universal and just attach to any stroller.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:39 pm
amother OP wrote:

I had the regular city mini years ago and the shoulder straps start too high for many newborns. So even if the recline is enough, it may just be too big. We got a pilllowed seat cover to put in which made it smaller and helped somewhat, but our unexpected preemie couldn't use the seat for months (we used the carseat clicked on it instead, which should also only be for very short periods because it is bad for breathing).

The original city mini was great though (don't know if they still make it), GT is a bit heavier but I have only heard good things.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:52 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
I had the regular city mini years ago and the shoulder straps start too high for many newborns. So even if the recline is enough, it may just be too big. We got a pilllowed seat cover to put in which made it smaller and helped somewhat, but our unexpected preemie couldn't use the seat for months (we used the carseat clicked on it instead, which should also only be for very short periods because it is bad for breathing).

The original city mini was great though (don't know if they still make it), GT is a bit heavier but I have only heard good things.
I had the original city mini and swapped it for a gt. It pushes so much better. But you are right, it is heavier. And not ideal for newborns, although it does lie basically flat.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 5:29 pm
I have the UPPAbaby Minu and if I could do it again I would have chosen it as my primary stroller. I live in a suburban area and it's really easy to take in and out of the car but still has a really decent push. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's not machine washable but it's good enough for what I need. I did not get the bassinet though since I have another bigger stroller that I use at home.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:02 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
I have the UPPAbaby Minu and if I could do it again I would have chosen it as my primary stroller. I live in a suburban area and it's really easy to take in and out of the car but still has a really decent push. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's not machine washable but it's good enough for what I need. I did not get the bassinet though since I have another bigger stroller that I use at home.

Thank you so much for sharing Smile Is it a bumpy ride on sidewalks?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:10 pm
A lot of suburban moms get a walking stroller for shabbos and a light one for the car. Sorry it’s annoying to get two but worth it.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:27 pm
We bought the Minu as our travel stroller in place of our Bugaboo Fox. We mostly use the Minu now. We live in suburbia with bad roads/concrete and walked in Brooklyn and 5 towns with it, and it’s never felt particularly bumpy on my hands. My daughter’s been dumped out of the Fox twice because the wheels get caught in cracks, but never with the Minu, I think because the weight is lower and more centered.

I think you could definitely get away with it as an only stroller, especially with the bassinet and car seat attachments. And remember, none of us rode in bugaboos as babies, I’m sure we were all fine in our gracos and umbrella strollers.

I’d definitely favor a stroller with the bassinet for a newborn, over one that lays flat. it’s really helpful not to have to walk around the front of the stroller to get to a newborn. I think the Minu uses the regular vista bassinet, and it’s pretty good sized. However, most babies don’t physically outgrow a bassinet, they learn to push up or roll, making it unsafe. There’s no way to plan when your baby might do that.

As someone else said, not being able to fully remove fabric is the biggest downside imo. You can get it clean by hand but it’s not perfect. Definitely don’t get a light color.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing Smile Is it a bumpy ride on sidewalks?

Really not! I was very impressed by how smooth it was. I actually like the bumpy sidewalk as it rocks my kid to sleep but this was too smooth Wink

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 7:57 pm
I bought the uppababy minu as my primary stroller with no regrets. I liked the basket better than city mini, was easy to collapse into car or home, baby always comfortable. Started at around 4 months and she's 3 now and still doing well with it. I didn't want a bulky stroller (I live suburban) but I walked around the neighborhood with it on shabbos and also took it for.weekday walks.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:11 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
I bought the uppababy minu as my primary stroller with no regrets. I liked the basket better than city mini, was easy to collapse into car or home, baby always comfortable. Started at around 4 months and she's 3 now and still doing well with it. I didn't want a bulky stroller (I live suburban) but I walked around the neighborhood with it on shabbos and also took it for.weekday walks.

So good to hear!! Thank you for posting.

Now I’m thinking about what color to get. I like the charcoal color - https://a.co/d/7LkNwOJ but I’m wondering if it’ll get dirty and I should get boring black instead.

Also, in regards to travel, seems like it’s stressful because it may or may not fit in the overhead bin. So you’d have to check each time. Anyone ever have it fit in the overhead compartment?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 4:32 am
amother OP wrote:
So good to hear!! Thank you for posting.

Now I’m thinking about what color to get. I like the charcoal color - https://a.co/d/7LkNwOJ but I’m wondering if it’ll get dirty and I should get boring black instead.

Also, in regards to travel, seems like it’s stressful because it may or may not fit in the overhead bin. So you’d have to check each time. Anyone ever have it fit in the overhead compartment?

Black in general shows all spit up, I generally don't go for it.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:02 am
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Black in general shows all spit up, I generally don't go for it.

Only if it's a solid black. If it's marled/ heathered you should be fine

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:08 am
amother Peach wrote:
A lot of suburban moms get a walking stroller for shabbos and a light one for the car. Sorry it’s annoying to get two but worth it.

My personal experience & that of my peers (oldest kids are low teens) is that most first time moms got a fancy walking stroller, but as you have more kids you learn to appreciate a quality good stroller that doesn't take up tons of space & can easily be folded into a closet when needed. A full size stroller starts feeling like a klutz after a while.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:13 am
amother Pearl wrote:
We bought the Minu as our travel stroller in place of our Bugaboo Fox. We mostly use the Minu now. We live in suburbia with bad roads/concrete and walked in Brooklyn and 5 towns with it, and it’s never felt particularly bumpy on my hands. My daughter’s been dumped out of the Fox twice because the wheels get caught in cracks, but never with the Minu, I think because the weight is lower and more centered.

I think you could definitely get away with it as an only stroller, especially with the bassinet and car seat attachments. And remember, none of us rode in bugaboos as babies, I’m sure we were all fine in our gracos and umbrella strollers.

I’d definitely favor a stroller with the bassinet for a newborn, over one that lays flat. it’s really helpful not to have to walk around the front of the stroller to get to a newborn. I think the Minu uses the regular vista bassinet, and it’s pretty good sized. However, most babies don’t physically outgrow a bassinet, they learn to push up or roll, making it unsafe. There’s no way to plan when your baby might do that.

As someone else said, not being able to fully remove fabric is the biggest downside imo. You can get it clean by hand but it’s not perfect. Definitely don’t get a light color.

Not the point here but the first " bugaboo babies" are kind of reaching adulthood already!! I think mine is date stamped 2006.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics