Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Mid winter help

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:24 pm
My dd is an only girl. She is 13. She gets so moody when we have vacation cuz she claims all her friends go “ family “ things and we also can’t go away overnight cuz we have boys in yeshiva with no vacation. I can’t swing taking her to Florida.
She s crying cuz she said we do such stupid things ( pottery skating etc) I’m at a complete loss. Can someone recommend a cool/ fun place around lakewood area? Asking her to go with friends is t an option and she has no cousins her age. Looking for ideas that make your teens happy.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:28 pm
Take her out for mom and me brunch on Sunday and then take the whole family snow tubing that day once the boys come home. Give her the family activity fun experience.

Next year can you invite two friends a month in advance and take the kids out for a girls day? Maybe even followed by a slumber party.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:34 pm
amother Purple wrote:
Take her out for mom and me brunch on Sunday and then take the whole family snow tubing that day once the boys come home. Give her the family activity fun experience.

Next year can you invite two friends a month in advance and take the kids out for a girls day? Maybe even followed by a slumber party.

Ty

Friends are doing things with their family so inviting an advance doesn’t work this is just one of those situations were being an only daughter backfires..

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:37 pm
Would you take her to a hotel for a night, just mother daughter? At a indoor water park hotel. She'll meet tons of kids while you sit nearby and watch. Then snuggle together with a family friendly movie at night.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:39 pm
I have a 15 yr old daughter who I am also trying to entertain locally. Thinking an escape room. Spa day/manicure and lunch out. Maybe ice skating... Prob not cuz we did that chanuka. Just some options.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:40 pm
amother Purple wrote:
Would you take her to a hotel for a night, just mother daughter? At a indoor water park hotel. She'll meet tons of kids while you sit nearby and watch. Then snuggle together with a family friendly movie at night.

Is there anything relatively close to Lkwd? Have a baby and not able to drive too far out..
Also she ll feel sully going on her own… again she has this insecurity of being an only and “everyone “ has family…

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is there anything relatively close to Lkwd? Have a baby and not able to drive too far out..
Also she ll feel sully going on her own… again she has this insecurity of being an only and “everyone “ has family…

Kalahari and Camelback are a little less 2.5 hours away. But it's the full immersive everything at one site experience. She will also meet lots of frum girls.
You can also take her to American Dream water park and stay at a hotel close by. That's much closer. You'll have restaurant options at mall/in Passaic. She might not meet as many people at the water park. Though she may bump into people at the mall. Concentrate and the mommy and me time.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:55 pm
amother Purple wrote:
Kalahari and Camelback are a little less 2.5 hours away.
You can also take her to American Dream water park and stay at a hotel close by. That's much closer. You'll have restaurant options at mall/in Passaic.

American dream could work… I know they advertise womans only but that’s Sunday night. Can I take her during reg hours Mon ina swim dress? Is that acceptable for reg by type?

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
American dream could work… I know they advertise womans only but that’s Sunday night. Can I take her during reg hours Mon ina swim dress? Is that acceptable for reg by type?

For girls only trips, we've always done that wearing cover ups.

At the Sunday night women's hours, she might meet lots of people.

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 4:02 pm
It's tough. I am in the same situation. Thankfully my dd has some friends she can get together with this year but I always feel so guilty she has no sisters to have fun with. Last year we did a girls day to American dream and I let her pick out some stuff she wanted which was fun for her.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:15 pm
I also have an only daughter, so I hear this dilemma.
One thing I wouldn’t do is go alone to a kalahari water park type of place unless she has a friend to be with, which you said she doesn’t, because it’ll be lame for her , who is she gonna go on the water slides with? My daughter wouldn’t have fun going to these kind of places alone with me.
If it was me, I would do a lunch date followed by a mani pedi on Thursday, and Friday I would surprise her with a really nice gift, something on her wish list. (For my daughter it would be an aviator nation hoodie or a charm for her pandora beacelet). Not that you “owe her” a gift for not taking her somewhere but it’s a way of showing that you understand that she felt a little sad and you wanted to give her something to be excited about (don’t throw tomatoes at me).
Sunday I would do another brunch or ice cream date. Her friends will already be coming back Monday.
Good luck !
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children