Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cruise ships, etc during a recession. How do ppl afford it?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Did you go on vacation this year/yeshiva week?
Yes but family paid for it  
 4%  [ 10 ]
Yes but paid for it through cc points  
 6%  [ 15 ]
Yes, but saved up for it and have everything else, including tuition fully paid up  
 10%  [ 26 ]
Yes, I am rich and can afford to do as I please  
 7%  [ 19 ]
Yes, but went into debt for it  
 0%  [ 1 ]
No, I can afford it but will save the money for real needs  
 13%  [ 33 ]
No, I can afford it but I am working and couldnt take time off  
 10%  [ 25 ]
No, would love to go but cant afford it  
 37%  [ 93 ]
Other, will explain in comments  
 9%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 245

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:03 pm
Batsheva1 wrote:
I was on that cruise ship. For the record cruising is awesome! I would have thought what the above poster said cruising was before I actually tried it. It's actually a wonderful way to travel which is why it is such a popular type of vacation. Once you try it you get hooked.
For those curious, I will explain the food situation. There were 2 options for kosher people. This cruise did offer fresh kosher food in a separate kosher dining room with a mashgiach. The food was good and there was a large variety. This came at an extra cost and a maximum of 600 people which was reached and that option was sold out. The second option was prepackaged airplane meals or double-wrapped fish and vegetables in the regular dining room. About half the kosher people on the cruise took that option either because they were too late to sign up for fresh kosher and it was sold out or they (understandably) didn't want to pay an extra $60 a day for the fresh kosher.)
My last point: everything in its time. For many years my husband and I were in a VERY tight financial situation. We were up to our necks in expenses paying multiple tuitions and raising our family. We couldn't afford to go on vacation either. It seemed everyone was gong away except us. The best we could do was take a road trip to Philidelphia or Washington DC and some years we couldn't do even that. We did local things and my kids are all the better for it. They have their issues but they are not entitled and they understand the value of money. In those days I never could have imagined that the tight years would end. Things did change though. My kids are now grown and being frugal has paid off. We are now able to go places and don't feel as stressed financially. Last year we were zoche to take the whole family on a cruise. This year I just went with my husband.
My point, things can change and get easier. There are different stages in life and things can go up and down. Just because you can't do something now doesn't mean you can't do it in the future. Everything in the right time.

If I was paying for a cruise and had to eat airline meals, I’d be so mad!!!!!!!!!!!

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:07 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
This is IMo uncalled for. If the hechsher isn’t acceptable to you, stay home. If tznius issues offend you, stay home. Rest assured there were thousands (yes thousands) for whom both were just fine.

Yeah people who are ok with laxity in halacha

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:12 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
This is IMo uncalled for. If the hechsher isn’t acceptable to you, stay home. If tznius issues offend you, stay home. Rest assured there were thousands (yes thousands) for whom both were just fine.

Tznius issues don’t offend me. To go with DH to a place where he will have significant shemiras einayim issues (unless he plans on staying locked in the cabin or figures out away to not bump into those with swimwear) is just not in accordance with any mainstream orthodox posek whether MO, left wing etc. that I am aware of. A thread touting the positives deserves a FYI for those that are unaware and do want to keep to halacha yet think that kosher cruise means it is possible to conform to halachos of shemiras einayim as well. From speaking to those who have gone it appears it is extremely difficult to bordering on the impossible.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:12 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
Yeah people who are ok with laxity in halacha

Your naïveté is showings It’s A big world out there.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:18 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Tznius issues don’t offend me. To go with DH to a place where he will have significant shemiras einayim issues (unless he plans on staying locked in the cabin or figures out away to not bump into those with swimwear) is just not in accordance with any mainstream orthodox posek whether MO, left wing etc. that I am aware of. A thread touting the positives deserves a FYI for those that are unaware and do want to keep to halacha yet think that kosher cruise means it is possible to conform to halachos of shemiras einayim as well. From speaking to those who have gone it appears it is extremely difficult to bordering on the impossible.

No one is encouraging you to go, or for your husband to go. As I said, stay home. But the judgment towards those who live different lifestyle and make different choices is tiresome.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:37 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:

Not taking a stand on either side here, but how is this different than (for example) living in a city like Miami Beach?

Batsheva1

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:00 pm
amother Brass wrote:
Thanks for all this info!
Can I ask what the cost of this cruise was?
The cost of any cruise varies depending on the room that you reserve and the time you reserve it. The prices for the rooms can change, similar to airline tickets. There are windowless "inside" rooms, rooms with a window, rooms with a balcony, and then different size suites. I really can't answer that question. I suggest you speak to a travel agent to get accurate information.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:07 am
Batsheva1 wrote:
I was on that cruise ship. For the record cruising is awesome! I would have thought what the above poster said cruising was before I actually tried it. It's actually a wonderful way to travel which is why it is such a popular type of vacation. Once you try it you get hooked.
For those curious, I will explain the food situation. There were 2 options for kosher people. This cruise did offer fresh kosher food in a separate kosher dining room with a mashgiach. The food was good and there was a large variety. This came at an extra cost and a maximum of 600 people which was reached and that option was sold out. The second option was prepackaged airplane meals or double-wrapped fish and vegetables in the regular dining room. About half the kosher people on the cruise took that option either because they were too late to sign up for fresh kosher and it was sold out or they (understandably) didn't want to pay an extra $60 a day for the fresh kosher.)
My last point: everything in its time. For many years my husband and I were in a VERY tight financial situation. We were up to our necks in expenses paying multiple tuitions and raising our family. We couldn't afford to go on vacation either. It seemed everyone was gong away except us. The best we could do was take a road trip to Philidelphia or Washington DC and some years we couldn't do even that. We did local things and my kids are all the better for it. They have their issues but they are not entitled and they understand the value of money. In those days I never could have imagined that the tight years would end. Things did change though. My kids are now grown and being frugal has paid off. We are now able to go places and don't feel as stressed financially. Last year we were zoche to take the whole family on a cruise. This year I just went with my husband.
My point, things can change and get easier. There are different stages in life and things can go up and down. Just because you can't do something now doesn't mean you can't do it in the future. Everything in the right time.

I think the cruise in discussion is going on now.
Was there another one last week? Royal Caribbean?

amother
White

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:09 am
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Not taking a stand on either side here, but how is this different than (for example) living in a city like Miami Beach?

People don't walk around in swim attire on the streets of Miami Beach. Many jews that live in Miami don't go to the beach ever.

Batsheva1

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:13 am
amother White wrote:
I think the cruise in discussion is going on now.
Was there another one last week? Royal Caribbean?
Yes, there was a Royal Caribbean cruise last week

amother
White

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:16 am
Batsheva1 wrote:
Yes, there was a Royal Caribbean cruise last week

Seems like a dream experience, it's on my bucket list! Waiting for the kids to grow up to fulfill it.

amother
NeonBlue

No.

I can't afford it and have no interest in a cruise. Even all the years I could afford it, I never went on a cruise. I prefer pesach hotels and trips to new places that I can explore.

amother
Impatiens

amother NeonYellow wrote:

You can more or less avoid the actual Beach in Miami and be ok. It’s virtually impossible on a warm weather cruise.

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:25 am
amother Indigo wrote:
No one is encouraging you to go, or for your husband to go. As I said, stay home. But the judgment towards those who live different lifestyle and make different choices is tiresome.

I think it’s fair that an orthodox woman’s thread mentioning all the pluses and minuses of a cruise should have a mention of halacha. Not my halacha. Not chassidish halacha. Just pick a Rabbi from any branch of Orthodox Judaism who okays a cruise where there are shemiras einayim issues and you are good to go. No judgement as to which orthodox rabbi or which branch of orthodoxy you choose to consult and follow. Judgement is to impose my standard of halacha. I’m suggesting that readers of this thread consult and follow THEIR rabbis standard of halacha.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics