Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Beckman’s - Ami Serial
  1  2  3  41  42  43  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:29 am
I hate the way Eli treats his wife Esti.
Seems like he’s really married to the family business not to her.
He also doesnt include her enough.

She is carrying their babies, caring for them on a day to day basis, raising them almost alone.
Sounds like he will come just to walk them down the aisle to their chuppa and to be the sandek by all the grandchildren Brises.
He is the father of this family, and the husband of Esti but all he does is pay the bills.
Such a lonely hard life for Esti, even with a working credit card.
Ugh

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:34 am
The whole story gives me the ick, and has such stereotypes in it.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:38 am
I have a feeling something big is going to be happening soon....

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:38 am
amother Ivory wrote:
The whole story gives me the ick, and has such stereotypes in it.

Agree.
Eli’s mother never wrote a check in her life
Never had a bank account.
His sister Dina is constantly hormonal or a brat, or both.
Only the men are involved in finances so only brothers in law came to the finances meeting, not Esti.

It’s like the 1950s. Especially the way Eli’s marriage works. He comes home only to sleep and eat (sometimes, if he’s in the mood of eating the food Esti slaved over, if not then not). He treats her like a child and she’s always lonely so far.
Even if he sat shiva she still experienced a loss too, he’s ignoring her feelings completely.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 1:58 am
It's poorly written.

It's a weak substitution for the real life serial they cancelled.

It's so simplistic and boring.

I pay 40 shekel for this magazine, I expect more.

It's not just a matter of taste, objectively, it's not up to standard.

Try submitting such a piece into a secular paper, it would never fly.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 2:24 am
I feel like now eli will never be home for esti. Cause now of the business, his mother and dina. Where's Dinas husband in all of this?

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 3:23 am
It’s the writer. Whenever she writes a story it’s missing the meat of the story.

People don’t have emotions or know how to communicate in her stories lol

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 3:45 am
I don't think it's nice to criticize a writer...

Plus loshon horo

Poor esti will be 2nd fiddle to Dina who will be given whatever luxury she fancies...

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 3:48 am
You do realize the writer is probably on here right? We wouldn't bash a frum store by name on this site and I would get absolutely bashed if I started a thread "No one use Rivky Smith for speech therapy because she's AWFUL" but people on this site bash the magazine writers on a constant basis- by name! Better idea is to write into the magazine and tell them your thoughts!

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 4:10 am
I think writing is a hard profession for professional writers. Everyone's a critic and everyone is always thinking how hard is it to write. Oh I plan on writing a book someday, I've got some great ideas.
Serials are much harder to write than a novel because each weekly chapter has to stand enough on its own that it's exciting and has something happening, usually with a cliff hanger at the end that gets resolved in 2 sentences the next week. And the beginning is usually just setting the scene for the characters and the whole plot of the book, so it's often different to how the rest plays out.
Also some characters are more 2D characters and are there as a plot device more than being real people themselves. Like the traditional sidekick who may not play any part other than provide a foil for the main character.
I enjoy these kind of serialized stories as they're light reading. They're usually overdramatized which makes for fun reading as well. I read for escapism and when the biggest deal is something nice and inane, it's great to read. And obviously there's a happy ending and there's a shidduch or a baby and they live happily ever after. If only real life was that simple. (Disclaimer: I'm not saying this is true of this particular serial, just of serials in general)

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:35 am
amother Milk wrote:
You do realize the writer is probably on here right? We wouldn't bash a frum store by name on this site and I would get absolutely bashed if I started a thread "No one use Rivky Smith for speech therapy because she's AWFUL" but people on this site bash the magazine writers on a constant basis- by name! Better idea is to write into the magazine and tell them your thoughts!

It's upsetting because she is closely related to Rechy F and that's why she gets a column.

The point of her serial is to get everyone riled up enough that they continue buying the magazine.

amother
Sand

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 6:39 am
amother Brickred wrote:
It’s the writer. Whenever she writes a story it’s missing the meat of the story.

I'm actually enjoying this story so far. It's definitely one of the first things I read.
Not every story has to be deep and profoundly meaningful.
I don't know about you, but I like to read something light and easy sometimes.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 6:42 am
I’m enjoying this writer just not the husband characters in her story.
They are benevolent (?) rulers. Inattentive and slightly arrogant. A husband should pay more attention to his wife hear her and listen to her. To their credit their wives don’t really know how to speak up properly.

They need to learn to treat their wives as an equal, and maybe that’s her point.
The wives need to learn that it’s ok to have an opinion and say it and keep saying it.
It seems the wives think they need to swallow for the sake of keeping the peace instead of insisting on making things right in their marriage in an assertive firm and kind way.
People only have the power that you give them.

Maybe that’s the author’s point.

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 6:43 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m enjoying this writer just not the husband characters in her story.
They are the rulers.

And I thought she had it easy Confused
(Although it sounds like that will change now)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:15 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
And I thought she had it easy Confused
(Although it sounds like that will change now)

Similar to the wife in crossroads , live on Easystreet that isn’t so easy.
Also the father in law is similar to the father in the other story except that here he died.
And Eli is similar to the husband in crossroads as well.
They both think a wife is meant to just cook and bake and tend to the kids, and keep house and smile.

schoolbus

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:11 am
amother Brickred wrote:

I have no clue what your talking… I feel the most emotionally connected to her stories more than any other writer. It’s the first page I turn to when I open the Ami

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 10:12 am
Ok, I read this week's instalment, and all I want to do is slap Dina in the face. Who does she thinks she is.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 10:24 am
amother OP wrote:
I hate the way Eli treats his wife Esti.
Seems like he’s really married to the family business not to her.
He also doesnt include her enough.

She is carrying their babies, caring for them on a day to day basis, raising them almost alone.
Sounds like he will come just to walk them down the aisle to their chuppa and to be the sandek by all the grandchildren Brises.
He is the father of this family, and the husband of Esti but all he does is pay the bills.
Such a lonely hard life for Esti, even with a working credit card.
Ugh

yes. sounds just like my husband. exactly. so lonely.

birdie1

Post Sat, Feb 18 2023, 9:12 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
Ok, I read this week's instalment, and all I want to do is slap Dina in the face. Who does she thinks she is.

Ugh what a spoiled entitled b—-

Why is everyone enabling her behavior?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Feb 18 2023, 9:55 pm
What happened this week?
Page 1 of 43   1  2  3  41  42  43  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room