Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Good idea or disaster - travelling alone with 3 kids

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:26 am
My husband has to work but I would love to get my kids away for midwinter. Thinking of going into NY to visit family and then stopping at a hotel midway on the way back. I am not a traveler at all and have no experience arranging something like this. So I'd greatly appreciate any help.

1. Is this a good idea or terrible to travel alone with 3 kids ages 9 and up? Am I getting in over my head?

2. What hotel is between Lakewood and NY that is super kid friendly. Bonus if lots of frum people will be there - I like to know I am in good company.

3. What activities can I do in the hotel? Do they allow kids to walk on the treadmill or is that a no no? Any easy ideas of a hotel near a small activity place? Don't want to do american dream but would love a small activity and then near a hotel to sleep.

4. How do you bring food? Can I bring a pizza maker and chicken and make fresh chicken in the room? What should I be aware of? What other foods can I pack? Do I need a freezer bag.

As you can tell I am a total newbie. Any other tips would be so much appreciated.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:41 am
Big kids, especially driving, is easy

If you told me You want to fly with 3 kids 7 and younger I’d say not a good idea (knowing my particular kids)

Eta it’s winter. You don’t need anything to keep food cold. I personally don’t cook in hotels and prefer to bring either food I cooked to reheat or prepared food that I bought

Hotel gyms generally don’t allow kids under 16. Many hotels have indoor pools. Pick a hotel near an attraction you want to do. Like a bowling alley, ice skating ring, tubing place, trampoline park, etc.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:43 am
Lakewood to NY doesn’t sound like such a major hassle… go and enjoy!

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:46 am
I don't own a pizza maker, but I bring along a smallish crock pot and one-burner electric burner with a pot and a pan. I only do dairy / pareve when we travel, which simplifies things.
When I drive, I bring disposable utensils and paper plates. When I fly, I buy at the destination. This allows us to go often the beaten path.
With other kids, this becomes an adventure in and of itself.
Enjoy!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:14 am
As far as hotels with frum ppl, you will find them at Ocean Place or Wave Resort in Long Branch, NJ. Lots of places to eat out in Deal or Lakewood.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:17 am
I know someone who does this all the time but she has money so it makes it easier.

By money I mean she can afford to buy her kids whatever they want, food out for every meal every day, and go to fancy hotels and get fancy and fun things so keep her kids occupied while flying.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:19 am
Many people are staying in the hotels near the palisades and spending the day at the attractions in the mall.

amother
Skyblue

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:52 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
I don't own a pizza maker, but I bring along a smallish crock pot and one-burner electric burner with a pot and a pan. I only do dairy / pareve when we travel, which simplifies things.
When I drive, I bring disposable utensils and paper plates. When I fly, I buy at the destination. This allows us to go often the beaten path.
With other kids, this becomes an adventure in and of itself.
Enjoy!

Please don't bring a burner to a hotel room. If I were you I would probably stop at attractions but go home to sleep on the way back from family. NY to Lakewood is not a very long drive.

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:54 am
Lakewood-NY is a short drive and I'd have no issue going with kids by myself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics