Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Wig prices. SM are not money grabbing monsters!!
  1  2  3  22  23  24  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:35 am
When you go to a SM to purchase a new wig there is a markup. She needs to make money.
She put money into her training.
She put money into her space.
She put hours of her life into learning her craft.
You are not only paying for the wig. You are paying for her experience & her expertise that didn’t just happen to her.
She invested in herself.
Yes the mark up for wigs is high but how much time does she spend with you from when u decide you want to purchase till you are satisfied with your purchase?
If your SM is not servicing you in a way that you’re feeling like you’re getting your money’s worth look for someone else.
If you don’t want all that you will save lots of money by purchasing online. You are also taking a risk. When you purchase from someone you know & trust the risk is much less.
SM’s and all businesses owners are not the monsters people make them out to be. Like you they are trying to support themselves & their employees.

There are so many talented women out there who are trying to help women & support themselves.

Also like a car you can get a basic car that will get you around or you can get a luxury car it’s the price difference absurd there? You decide if you want basic or luxury. It’s not the SM problem that you want luxury at basic pricing. Life doesn’t work like that.

Fellow SM here just trying to show you another side to this.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:52 am
amother OP wrote:
When you go to a SM to purchase a new wig there is a markup. She needs to make money.
She put money into her training.
She put money into her space.
She put hours of her life into learning her craft.
You are not only paying for the wig. You are paying for her experience & her expertise that didn’t just happen to her.
She invested in herself.
Yes the mark up for wigs is high but how much time does she spend with you from when u decide you want to purchase till you are satisfied with your purchase?
If your SM is not servicing you in a way that you’re feeling like you’re getting your money’s worth look for someone else.
If you don’t want all that you will save lots of money by purchasing online. You are also taking a risk. When you purchase from someone you know & trust the risk is much less.
SM’s and all businesses owners are not the monsters people make them out to be. Like you they are trying to support themselves & their employees.

There are so many talented women out there who are trying to help women & support themselves.

Also like a car you can get a basic car that will get you around or you can get a luxury car it’s the price difference absurd there? You decide if you want basic or luxury. It’s not the SM problem that you want luxury at basic pricing. Life doesn’t work like that.

Fellow SM here just trying to show you another side to this.

I agree with you and I just wrote a lengthy post in another thread about one lady who put down the SM industry very publicly, instead of pointing the finger at herself. (which I deleted in the end)

I am wishing you much hatzlacha in your business. Hashem should bentch you with parnassa and everything good.

Last edited by watergirl on Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:00 am
I hate this shaming. My business is attacked in a similar way. Why don’t I deserve to make an honest living? I give you my time and expertise but everyone thinks they are entitled to the world for free. Only they deserve to make money.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:05 am
Thank you! As a SM who has sacrificed myself and sometimes my family to help my clients this whole bashing is really hurtful and so misplaced.
Besides, we are just the middleman. Percentage wise our markup is quite small. We charge for our service, barely for the wig itself. . The bulk of your spendings goes to the manufacturer.
Our hearts bleed with you when we quote 3k for a "cheap" wig. The money is not going to our pockets!!

Any yes if you feel like you are not getting what you need from your sheitelmacher, there are a dime a dozen in most locations. Find someone new!

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:07 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
I hate this shaming. My business is attacked in a similar way. Why don’t I deserve to make an honest living? I give you my time and expertise but everyone thinks they are entitled to the world for free. Only they deserve to make money.

Amen!

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:09 am
I think the blame is being wrongfully placed. It's not the sheital machers who keep upping the prices. It's the wig manufacturer who is making the wig in china for 800 and selling for 3000

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:12 am
amother Mintcream wrote:
I think the blame is being wrongfully placed. It's not the sheital machers who keep upping the prices. It's the wig manufacturer who is making the wig in china for 800 and selling for 3000

This. Seems to be the manufacturers who are in the wrong but since we deal with the sheitel machers they get the blame. Sheitel machers can you band together and demand a change....can you try to put a stop to the manufacturer's insane increases? They need you because you sell the wigs for them.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:18 am
Sorry but $80- $100 for a wash n set is outrageous.
You know we must wear wigs so you take advantage of that.
Its not just some luxury that we get a choice if we want to wear or not not.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:20 am
Most of the wig brands are ripping us off. SM are not the real problem although charging a few hundred dollar fee for a cut is a bit excessive. Change needs to come from the wig companies who keep hiking prices up every few months

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:20 am
amother Carnation wrote:

You can wash your own wig. Having someone else wash it is a luxury.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:24 am
amother Carnation wrote:

If a SM is charging that it's usually because that is what is needed to cover her time and expenses and also earn a profit. You are welcome to use the younger less experienced stylist that is charging $30 and working out of her 1 bedroom apartment.

Do you realize that if you'd be wearing your own hair you'd be spending a lot more than that maintaining it, cutting it, getting it styled when you can't just throw it into a pony etc... Forget about when the greys grow in and you want to start dying that monthly.

If you are on a tight budget you can watch youtube videos put out by heimish stylists how to wash and set your own wigs for free!
Ah but you don't want to spend the hour plus it takes to do that.
You want the sheitelmacher to spend that time and expertise but do it at a price YOU want.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:25 am
amother Dandelion wrote:

Getting your wig washed every 2 - 3 months is not a luxury. .Doesn't the average guy get a haircut at the barber Is that a luxury too ?

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:28 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Getting your wig washed every 2 - 3 months is not a luxury. .Doesn't the average guy get a haircut at the barber Is that a luxury too ?

Yeah that’s a luxury too, many men cut their own hair too.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:31 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Most of the wig brands are ripping us off. SM are not the real problem although charging a few hundred dollar fee for a cut is a bit excessive. Change needs to come from the wig companies who keep hiking prices up every few months

Cutting courses to keep your work style updated cost in the thousands. Every scissors I own was a minimum of $400 (I know stylists that pay over 1k) and cutting wigs kill your scissors so you need to sharpen them which costs about $60 each time. And then you need to buy new ones.
And cutting a wig is a huge responsibility. It's not a haircut that will grow back if you messed up.
Bottom line if your are not the one running the business you have no idea what the true cost of it is and what is needed to turn a profit.

In that vein, I also understand that the manufacturers have some justification for their high prices. I'm allowed to think it's excessive and I do feel it's unsustainable but I've never run a wig manufacturing business so I admit I have no idea what is involved.

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:32 am
This attitude of I deserve everything so therefore you owe it to me for free or cheap is 100% wrong. No one owes you any time or service. You can do every single thing yourself especially today with youtube tutorials. If you decide you need the help of others pay their prices or go to someone who is less experienced.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:35 am
amother Carnation wrote:

It's not outrageous. Sheitel machers are allowed to make a profit! And they need to pay their workers as well. They're charging for their time and expertise.
If you think you're being taken advantage of, then find a different sheitel macher or wash your own wigs. Many women do.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:37 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:

Yes, getting a haircut at the barber is a luxury that DH very seldom treats himself to. Otherwise, he & his friends do each other's haircuts.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:39 am
amother Dandelion wrote:

Seriously? Can't Believe It

You can have your own chickens and and farms too. Buying eggs is a luxury too then.
Let’s be realistic.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:42 am
amother Carnation wrote:

Yes, seriously. Plenty women wash their own wigs.
And you're comparing getting salon service done to buying basic food???
Getting your wig professionally washed is like getting a manicure or waxing. None are basic necessities. No one owes you anything.

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:44 am
amother Carnation wrote:

You can have your own chickens and and farms too. Buying eggs is a luxury too then.
Let’s be realistic.

Washing a wig is really easy and possible to do. Having to invest in land and animals is not as simple. Don’t be silly. You aren’t entitled to have your wig serviced for you. Pay someone for their time and expertise or do it yourself.
Page 1 of 24   1  2  3  22  23  24  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels