Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Wig prices. SM are not money grabbing monsters!!
  Previous  1  2  3   22  23  24  Next

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:52 am
I agree the outrage is misplaced.
The cost of wigs has become unaffordable. It is a huge issue. A woman needs to look like a mentch, she doesn't need the highest end wig but she needs a decent one.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:55 am
lamplighter wrote:
I agree the outrage is misplaced.
The cost of wigs has become unaffordable. It is a huge issue. A woman needs to look like a mentch, she doesn't need the highest end wig but she needs a decent one.

I recently got 2 decent wigs at $1600 each. I don't think this price is so outrageous.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:00 am
amother Blonde wrote:
I recently got 2 decent wigs at $1600 each. I don't think this price is so outrageous.

It's not. The thing is, there are many people out there who would never consider at wig that "cheap", and those people have big platforms and big mouths and push the belief that a wig is thousands more than that if you want to look beautiful. People are complaining about "having to spend" $5000 on a wig. No one has to spend that.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:00 am
amother Blonde wrote:
Yes, seriously. Plenty women wash their own wigs.
And you're comparing getting salon service done to buying basic food???
Getting your wig professionally washed is like getting a manicure or waxing. None are basic necessities. No one owes you anything.

Yes because MOST women are terrible at handling hair. Same way most people are terrible at handling chickens in their backyard.
One just works for you and one doesnt, so you’re being all arrogant about it.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:03 am
amother Carnation wrote:
Yes because MOST women are terrible at handling hair. Same way most people are terrible at handling chickens in their backyard.

No, MOST women are not terrible at handling hair. They just don't want to bother to put in the work and effort to learn how to handle hair & would rather complain that how dare sheitel machers charge their price......
This is such entitled behavior and you're calling me arrogant...... unbelievable.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:03 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
Washing a wig is really easy and possible to do. Having to invest in land and animals is not as simple. Don’t be silly. You aren’t entitled to have your wig serviced for you. Pay someone for their time and expertise or do it yourself.

Nobody is feeling “entitled” to have the wigs washed. We are paying big money for it.
But $40-$50 to wash a wig that lasts a month is fine for me, $120 is not. that is purely taking advantage.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:04 am
amother Blonde wrote:
No, MOST women are not terrible at handling hair. They just don't want to bother to put in the work and effort to learn how to handle hair & would rather complain that how dare sheitel machers charge their price......
This is such entitled behavior and you're calling me arrogant...... unbelievable.

I will ruin my wig if I take a brush to it. From all my friends and family I know less than 5 people who know what they are doing with their wigs.
Because you obviously are good at it, it doesn’t make it possible for everyone.
No one feels entitled. Nobody is requesting free washes. You can charge us without taking advantage.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:07 am
amother Blonde wrote:

What company and length?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:08 am
amother Carnation wrote:
I will ruin my wig if I take a brush to it. From all my friends and family I know less than 5 people who know what they are doing with their wigs.
No one feels entitled. Nobody is requesting free washes. You can charge us without taking advantage.

Did you try to learn to do your wigs? Did you take a course?
I've never washed my own wig. But I'm not complaining on the prices charged. It's my choice to get it done at that specific sheitel macher. Sheitel machers don't take advantage. You're paying them for their training, expertise, time, workers, rent....
You're paying them to do something that you don't want to learn how to do. If you think they're taking advantage, find someone else.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:09 am
amother Leaf wrote:
What company and length?

Kiki X & Irene Blunt. I think the length is 20".

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:10 am
amother Carnation wrote:

I don’t wash my wig. I recognize that I’m asking someone else to spend time on it and use their expertise to make it look nice. Therefore I pay them without blinking. If I didn’t have the money I would wash it myself. So yes you are entitled.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:11 am
amother Carnation wrote:
Nobody is feeling “entitled” to have the wigs washed. We are paying big money for it.
But $40-$50 to wash a wig that lasts a month is fine for me, $120 is not. that is purely taking advantage.

Who's forcing you to pay $120? Most sheitel machers don't charge that price. There are over enough that charge a lower price. People make a choice to spend $120, no one is forcing them to do so.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:11 am
amother Carnation wrote:

It’s not taking advantage. It a luxury service & if it is not worth the extra money for you it’s not the right person for you. There are many cheaper places to get your wig washed & set.
Whatever your skill or job is don’t you want to be paid as much as possible for it? Why is a wash & set different?
Good for the woman making $120 per wash & set that is what she feels her value is no one is forced to use her.
Why do you feel entitled to her service at the price you want?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:13 am
watergirl wrote:
It's not. The thing is, there are many people out there who would never consider at wig that "cheap", and those people have big platforms and big mouths and push the belief that a wig is thousands more than that if you want to look beautiful. People are complaining about "having to spend" $5000 on a wig. No one has to spend that.

Oy, those women seem like a different species to me.

imaima

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:17 am
amother Carnation wrote:
Sorry but $80- $100 for a wash n set is outrageous.
You know we must wear wigs so you take advantage of that.
Its not just some luxury that we get a choice if we want to wear or not not.

You can do it yourself though
Wash your wig and air dry
No it won’t be the same
It’s also not the same when people do their own hair compared to a hairdresser

seven-up

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:18 am
I wash and set my own wig as do most of my sisters. It's a matter of investing a bit of money into owning the right materials and watching tutorials and practicing a lot. As styles change you have to tweak your methods a bit. I'm not doing it to save money but because then I'm happy with the end product. I'm not always thrilled with it when I walk out of the SM. But I invest a lot of time into washing it and then setting it. It takes me over an hour each time. Honestly if a friend would ask me to wash and set her shaitel and offered me $50 there's no way I would do it. It's not worth my time. Your SM will charge what she feels her time is worth. As with every business, if you don't like the price you need to think about if you would do that same service for someone, assuming you could, for that price keeping in mind that there are also costs involved, in this case water, electricity, upkeep of materials, time and money learning new techniques, childcare. Almost any legit business will have hidden costs you just don't think about like insurance, taxes

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:26 am
amother Carnation wrote:

So you get to decide what your sheitelmachers time and expertise is worth to her? Sorry, no.
If you feel taken advantage of obviously you don't value her work. Time to find someone cheaper. There are so many of them!

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:29 am
Comparing washing your wig to raising your own chickens for eggs is just ludicrous.
Every wig owner has access to running water and shampoo. Air dry your wigs in braids and done, you got yourself a nice crimpy style. You don't even need tools.
Come on. You're just being dense if you try to compare the 2.
A more accurate comparison is a manicure vs cutting your nails at home.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:32 am
watergirl wrote:

You're absolutely right. I don't even own a 5k wig as much as I'd love one. I know what I can afford and what I can't.
Happens to be I discourage my clients from purchasing those kind of wigs as well unless they have so much extra money it won't make a dent.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:03 pm
My SM went from $40-$70 for wash and sets. When asking her why the big jump she said “because this is the going price now, I’ve been doing wigs for years and I’m behind with what everyone is charging, $40 is only for newbie shaitel machers” when asking her if she needs to invest more time or shampoo she said no, she is simply hiking up the price because that’s what everyone is doing.
This is called taking advantage.
I have all the money in the world to afford my wigs and wash and sets but I’m refusing to fall to these absurd standards!
SM were perfectly happy and content when they charged $35 for wash and sets.. all of a sudden it became a hype..
we gotta cut the chord somewhere
Page 2 of 24   Previous  1  2  3   22  23  24  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels