Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What is the best white flour for sourdough challah?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 11:44 am
I like using all white flour for sourdough challah.

I like using the pre-sifted, vacuum packed bags like wondermills, since it is just simpler for me, as I like to use sifted flour.

How do I know which flour has the highest protein content / gluten percentage?

I know people swear by King Arthur flour, but does it really make a difference and if it does then what is the difference, is it only the flavor or also the texture, stretchiness of the dough?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 11:53 am
For best bread, you use bread flour which has a higher gluten content which is what gives bread a better texture.

KA flour is very reliable which is why people like it.

FWIW, when you bake bread the measurements are just an estimate because the actual quantity might vary especially depending on the weather. You might need a bit more or less.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 11:59 am
Thanks for the reply!
I only use bread flour.
And for sourdough, I always weigh, so it's the exact amount each time.
But, what do you mean that King Arthur is the most reliable? most reliable with what?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the reply!
I only use bread flour.
And for sourdough, I always weigh, so it's the exact amount each time.
But, what do you mean that King Arthur is the most reliable? most reliable with what?

When I got serious about cooking and baking some of the women on a forum recommended KA and so I just have been using it. Flour is a relatively cheap ingredient - even "name brand" and so why skimp.

Their baking cookbook is fabulous by the way as it covers basic techniques as well as having wonderful recipes

Anyway here is an explanation of why KA flour is more "reliable". I am sure other name flours are also good but it is just as easy to use the KA as the others so I do.

King Arthur Baking is a company dedicated to abiding by its values in every facet of the business. Their meticulous process ensures environmental sustainability, superior quality, and fair conditions for workers. According to the King Arthur Company website, almost all their products are made without genetically modified organisms, also known as GMOs (though, during the COVID-19 pandemic, the allulose used in their Baking Sugar Alternative became an exception). While GMOs are a controversial topic, King Arthur states that they believe people have the right to know what is in their food and to choose products made without GMOs. As such, they are committed to sourcing products that are made without GMOs and being transparent about when their mission falls short.

In addition, King Arthur's Food Philosophy boasts agricultural practices that support the environment and help to mitigate climate change. The products this company uses are grown with limited pesticides, and their Supplier Code of Conduct encourages the use of sustainable manufacturing equipment.

King Arthur further states that it never bleaches its flour. Meanwhile, most of its products contain a higher amount of protein compared to most other flours, making it a great option for baking bread. According to Stress Baking, a higher protein content yields dough that will hold its shape, a great option for structure applications like bread. For cakes and cupcakes, a more delicate flour like cake flour can be used.

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/464959/.....lour/

Frumme

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:28 pm
To continue with what Amarante said above, you'll want to use unbleached flour because it holds structure better than bleached flour.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:29 pm
Frumme wrote:
To continue with what Amarante said above, you'll want to use unbleached flour because it holds structure better than bleached flour.

I use high gluten
unbleached

but is there something else that makes one company better than the other?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 12:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
I use high gluten
unbleached

but is there something else that makes one company better than the other?

If you are happy with the results continue to use what you want.

Alternatively buy a five pound bag of KA bread flour and see if you find a difference.

I am not a wheat farmer or miller LOL but my understanding is that there are different varieties of "wheat" including summer wheat and winter wheat. I would imagine that different farms might use different varieties even within those criteria.

I know that Campbells and Heinz have contracts with tomato farmers in which they specify the kind of tomatoes that are grown and how they are grown so that they are completely in line with their specifications.

I wouldn't be surprised if a large company like KA also has contracts with wheat farmers. Per the excerpt I posted, they do impose specifications regarding how the wheat is grown and what varieties can be used (I.e. non GMO)

shanie5

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 4:00 pm
I once went to a king Arthur baking show/demonstration. The thing I remember about their bread flour is that it always has the same percentage of gluten in every bag. Not all flour companies are so exact with the levels of gluten, so KA gives you more consistent results.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics