Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Bunkbeds

ffbmom

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 4:07 am
I'd like to get bunkbeds girls almost 4 and 6. I am getting mixed messages about the safety of bunkbeds. Any suggestions or ideas? Anyone have experience with bunkbeds?

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 6:06 am
We bought them when 2 of our boys were 2 and 7. We spent a lot of money on solid wood and had solid rules with regards to going on the top bunk. B'H no problems. We are still using it 7 years later and it's as good as new, even after a move to Israel.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 6:46 am
We also have bunkbeds, 2 of them. Like Tamiri said, you just have to make rules about the top bed and enforce them Wink . Things are not made w/ the same quality as they used to be, but they are a lot more careful about safety.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 7:14 am
I slept on a bunkbed from age 5 to age 17--I was always on the top and my sister (who was 3 when we first got the bed slept on the bottom. We were basically calm girls--we never really got wild....
But all new bunkbeds should have extra safety features (like not being able to slip through rungs of the ladder or the safety bar on the top bunk, etc.

mugsisme

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 8:54 am
We have a huge solid wooden bunk bed. We have had it for years actually. I don't know where I read it, but I heard that children under 8 should not sleep on the top bunk. That has actually always been the rule here. The older one sleeps on top.

We also do not let the younger ones up for any reason. Not to read, play, anything. Both sides of the bed has a rail, as we bought an extra one. (I was concerned with a child chas v'shalom getting caught in the side by the wall.)

The only down side is that you have no box spring. My 13 year old who sleeps on the top says that the bed is not comfortable. We got one of those memory foam mattress pads that is 1.5" thick. Now she doesn't mind it as much.

Leah

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 8:56 am
Our bunkbed has a "bunky-board" in lieu of a box spring, and on top of that a good, regular mattress. The bunks turn into twin beds if you take them apart.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 8:57 am
Make sure you get a good brand.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics