Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How do you manage working Fridays and childcare?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:35 pm
Hi, I have a question about work schedules.

Im a therapist and I need to make more money so I want to start working Fridays. My commute is about 40 ish minutes to Brooklyn. My husband is able to do drop off so I can leave and get to my first session on time. But he works Fridays and only comes home about half hour before candle lighting.....and my daughter's playgroup closes at 12.

My friday hours should be 9-12, but then wouldnt be able to get back to where we live until 12:40.

How do you manage working Fridays? Its not worth it for me to drive into BK for only 2 hours of work.

cbsdbs

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:38 pm
Find childcare near where you work.

amother
Honeysuckle

I paid a high school girl/preschool assistant depending on the year to walk my dd to someone who watched her till I came home.

amother
OP

cbsdbs wrote:
Find childcare near where you work.

Why should I pay extra for someone to babysit her on fridays? I pay 800$ for the month it includes fridays

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:39 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
I paid a high school girl/preschool assistant depending on the year to walk my dd to someone who watched her till I came home.

Who watched her?
I dont have family near me

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:39 pm
You hire a babysitter to pick up from playgroup but it's logistically difficult bc the high school girls finish at 12 themselves and anyone older is probably in a job past 12. So either it's worth it for you to deal with the hassle and possibly overpaying for the service, or it's not. And you also hire her until 1 so you have leeway to get stuck in traffic or leave the office 5 minutes late.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Why should I pay extra for someone to babysit her on fridays? I pay 800$ for the month it includes fridays

Because you need aftercare hours
Welcome to being a working mother

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Who watched her?
I dont have family near me

Maybe a high school girl would watch her to make extra money. Or a neighbor.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:44 pm
I work in a totally different industry so this might not work for you, but if you said your husband can do the mornings maybe you could do 7 am - 11 am. That would give you four hours to make commute worth your time. Plus clients might be into having an option that allows them to get their session in before the work day. Ive wanted to go to therapy but dont have flexibility with work very much and would jump for a 7 am session if it was an option. I have a family member that sees his therapist via telehealth literally at 7:30 am and he loves it.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:59 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:

I did similar. I paid a high schooler to watch my kids at home after school. However my kids didn't end until after 2, so it wasn't as many hours

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:33 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
I work in a totally different industry so this might not work for you, but if you said your husband can do the mornings maybe you could do 7 am - 11 am. That would give you four hours to make commute worth your time. Plus clients might be into having an option that allows them to get their session in before the work day. Ive wanted to go to therapy but dont have flexibility with work very much and would jump for a 7 am session if it was an option. I have a family member that sees his therapist via telehealth literally at 7:30 am and he loves it.

it wouldnt work- by therapist I meant im an OT in a school. the girls come @9 and busses leave at 12. no option to see them earlier

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
it wouldnt work- by therapist I meant im an OT in a school. the girls come @9 and busses leave at 12. no option to see them earlier

Can you do a different more local job on fridays? Ei? Adult homecare? That's the beauty of being an independent contractor.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:35 pm
We pay for aftercare and DH does Friday pickup since he has more flexibility than me. I really have to rush home for winter Fridays. I look forward to the clock change.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:37 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
We pay for aftercare and DH does Friday pickup since he has more flexibility than me. I really have to rush home for winter Fridays. I look forward to the clock change.

I pay for aftercare but it only goes until 12
ill try to find a hs girl who can pick up my daughter and watch her. my husbands job is flexible maybe he can stay home fridays and make up the hours on sunday... idk just thinking out loud

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:40 pm
Where do u live

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:40 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
Where do u live

forest hills in queens
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics