Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
S/O shaitel prices, supply & demand
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Trademark

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:20 pm
Supply and demand is not a value, it's a reality.

The chachamim used to regulate bread prices. If there is a scarcity of food do you think it's right to charge exorbitant amounts?

Of course food is a necessity. But it's not so simple " its' supply and demand, deal with it."

If therapists in our community charge exorbitant prices knowing that people use their services out of desperation and they take advantage, I'd say it's wrong and against Torah values.

Highstrung

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 8:48 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Getting your wig done professionally is a luxury, not a basic necessity. Everyone can learn to do their own wig. And there are always affordable sheitel machers around that do a good job even if they're not famous.

Actually having the skill to wash and set your wig properly on your own is a bigger luxury. Not everyone is good with their hands . But everyone is deserving of being able to look mentchlich and to feel good about themselves.

Trademark

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:05 pm
Also when pure capitalism exists, operating solely on supply and demand, you have child labor, the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire etc.

You need a balance.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:11 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
You may charge the going amount, which is what they're doing.

But once the overchargers charge double, then the ‘going amount’ gets higher because of what they did

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 9:11 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
Nope. They're creating an impossible market, which is worse than price gouging. I wonder if any of these people who raised their prices to double or triple the going rate actually care about doing the right thing, or just care about getting away with making as much money as they can.

We know the answer

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 11:34 pm
Trademark wrote:

The chachamim used to regulate bread prices. If there is a scarcity of food do you think it's right to charge exorbitant amounts?

Of course food is a necessity. But it's not so simple " its' supply and demand, deal with it."

If therapists in our community charge exorbitant prices knowing that people use their services out of desperation and they take advantage, I'd say it's wrong and against Torah values.

Interesting, that's assuming there's a scarcity, afaik there's no shortage of sm willing to work for less, they just might not be as experienced or famous. Same for therapists - there are many that work in clinics or charge less but aren't "brand name" therapists

Trademark

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:03 am
amother OP wrote:
Interesting, that's assuming there's a scarcity, afaik there's no shortage of sm willing to work for less, they just might not be as experienced or famous. Same for therapists - there are many that work in clinics or charge less but aren't "brand name" therapists

I was not talking about sheitel machers or therapists (I just gave it as an example of a possible situation) specifically.

I was talking about capitalism and supply and demand in general.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:36 am
Trademark wrote:
I was not talking about sheitel machers or therapists (I just gave it as an example of a possible situation) specifically.

Got it, I agree that in an extreme situation, such as monopolies or medications then the government can and should get involved but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

amother
Sage

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 2:08 am
Why is a haircut $10-20, but a shaitel cut $250?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:31 am
amother Sage wrote:
Why is a haircut $10-20, but a shaitel cut $250?

A haircut in a high end salon can be $100. Cutting wigs is a different skill and they need to take responsibility for an expensive wig if they mess up.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 2:57 am
amother OP wrote:
A haircut in a high end salon can be $100. Cutting wigs is a different skill and they need to take responsibility for an expensive wig if they mess up.

Right, and I had mine cut not well, spent the money, and it doesnt even grow back. No responsibilty from the SM's part. My loss.

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:19 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
a Sheitel must be worn for yiddishkeit

You can wear a tichel or a hat. You choose to wear a sheitel. That's fine, but when you make an expensive choice, you have to pay for it.

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 10:08 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
You can wear a tichel or a hat. You choose to wear a sheitel. That's fine, but when you make an expensive choice, you have to pay for it.

Not everyone can wear a hat in their career or circles. For many, sheitels are a necessity.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 10:22 am
amother NeonPink wrote:

No I can’t wear a tichel I look absolutely ridiculous and it’s not my way of going. Something’s are not options

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 10:29 am
This whole discussion smacks of lack of knowledge of basic economics. We are not talking about a profession like dentistry or even therapy where there is a relatively high barrier to entry and limited supply so price gouging becomes a serious issue. SM is a matter of a short course and some natural dexterity. Not everybody is a natural but a whole lot of girls/ women have the ability. There is a REALLY low barrier to entry.

If it is really so lucrative you will have women deciding to go into SM rather than PT, OT, and the like and you will soon have increased supply and pressure on prices. If more women don’t rush to become SM something tells me even those that charge towards the higher range are not making out like bandits after all costs, and other sources of parnassa are viable alternatives to SM.

Reality

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 10:54 am
amother Sage wrote:
Right, and I had mine cut not well, spent the money, and it doesnt even grow back. No responsibilty from the SM's part. My loss.

This point has not been stressed enough. I would like to know if there are any shaitel machers who take responsibility when they mess up a shaitel. I know many people who were sold shaitels that don't really fit them or the bangs were cut too short etc. All those people had to fight and didn't get automatic service. I don't call that standing by your work.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:01 pm
Trademark wrote:

I'm not sure frum societies can talk about profit only ,and supply &demand laws, when the whole idea of "profits" is argued by us. We operate by different measurements, our values and profits are sometimes against non Jewish concept of value. When Jewish people chose to get paid less and dedicate life to Torah study as a value to see ruchniyus over $, for them the attitude of free market might sound opposite of how they live their lives. Whoever choses to sacrifice life to Torah learning and earn less cannot easily relate to the idea of profits above all.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:13 pm
Reality wrote:
This point has not been stressed enough. I would like to know if there are any shaitel machers who take responsibility when they mess up a shaitel. I know many people who were sold shaitels that don't really fit them or the bangs were cut too short etc. All those people had to fight and didn't get automatic service. I don't call that standing by your work.

I'm sorry you had such bad experiences! There are always bad apples but they should stand behind their work, I have had bad experiences also and no longer use those shaitel machers (and tell my friends not to just them either)

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 10:41 pm
Trademark wrote:

I’m actually a therapist and was laughing at people vehemently defending hair stylists (because of their expertise!) but therapist should charge a fraction of what they do.

Therapists go through years of schooling and generally work several years after that at very low pay working their way up. We are naturally limited in the amount of clients we can see (a sm can be washing many wigs in one hour) and yet people begrudge the 150-350 hourly rate. The energy and responsibility that comes with the job is also tremendous, we can’t just coast through our day…

Bh I don’t depend on my income at this point, but sadly that also may mean that I’ll stop to practice soon. Our work is satisfying and tremendously draining at the same time, and we’re expected to charge less than the shaitel machers and other service providers.

Trademark

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:09 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
I'm not sure frum societies can talk about profit only ,and supply &demand laws, when the whole idea of "profits" is argued by us. We operate by different measurements, our values and profits are sometimes against non Jewish concept of value. When Jewish people chose to get paid less and dedicate life to Torah study as a value to see ruchniyus over $, for them the attitude of free market might sound opposite of how they live their lives. Whoever choses to sacrifice life to Torah learning and earn less cannot easily relate to the idea of profits above all.

Any society that lives on profit above all is doomed.

Academics, artists etc. also exist in the outside world. There are also plenty of non-profits, people who give of their time and expertise pro bono etc.

The world needs both.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels