Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to teach baby to walk
Previous  1  2

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 11:20 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
It’s fine and good to help her learn.

I disagree.

She'll do it when she's ready. It is completely developmentally appropriate to not be walking yet.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 11:26 pm
For kids who aren't delayed, we give opportunities for them to crawl but don't physically need to teach them. There's still be a toy a little out of their reach and they'll figure out on their own to get it.
Same for walking. We give opportunities for them (pulled up to stand, have something enticing a step away) and we can wait for them to figure it out. We can provide things for them to push to get the motion as well (whether it's a push toy or a laundry basket or a chair really doesn't matter). But they'll get there. If they seem frustrated, we can help by showing then the motions but if not, a non delayed baby will figure it out just like every other milestone until now.
My kids walked between 10 and 17 months. I did nothing differently for any of them. It was all in the realm of normal. My baby is 9 months and has been "walking" for a month or 2. But he can't stand unassisted yet... Just pushes things or cruises. It's all fine. Just give them opportunities and they'll get there on their timeline. So my baby got the motion first and OP's got the stability first and they're both normal. There's no race.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 6:29 am
amother Celeste wrote:
One of my kids stood in middle of the floor at 14 months and clapped for herself…. For 4 months!!! At 18 months she started walking.
No need to do anything, op.

Haha yes mine does that too!

imaima

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 6:34 am
amother OP wrote:
I have a fourteen month old who’s very strong at standing on her feet but won’t take steps. How do I get her to try taking steps? I sit in front of her and try to get her to come to mommy but that doesn’t seem to work. I think she’s a bit afraid to pick up her feet. Any advice ?

Have her walk with a wagon or a doll stroller or just push a chair and walk with it

SG18

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 7:32 am
My daughter loved holding our hands and walking, for months before she walked on her own.

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 7:34 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
I disagree.

She'll do it when she's ready. It is completely developmentally appropriate to not be walking yet.

It is fine but it’s getting towards the later side of average.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 7:48 am
amother Oleander wrote:

Not sure where you got this information from but I am a pediatric OT and 14 months is not the later side of average. 18 months is actually the end of the typical range for beginning to walk. And if there are no other concerns with gross motor skills, I wouldn't be worried at all.

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 8:37 am
OP, does she cruise sideways (like hold on to the couch and move herself along it sideways)? When my dd was little and needed intensive PT (she has a genetic disorder and had a motor delay, so we spent lots of time on every little developmental stage, she finally walked at 2), the PT told us that after standing, cruising sideways is the next developmental step and we should work on that before working on taking steps forward. So have her stand next to the couch or coffee table or something else low down while she is holding on to it and place a favorite toy just a bit sideways out of her reach (like a step or two, make it reachable at first). You can also help her along by showing her how to move her feet sideways if you want (practice to both sides. But if she resists, don't force it). Apparently learning this is an important developmental stage, helps development balance and motion while upright. So focus on sideways cruising first and once she is confidently moving sideways, then you can start introducing ways to help her move forwards (don't skip to this first).

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 9:06 am
Leave her be!!! She will do it when she was ready. My kids are late walkers. My baby just started walking this week and she is going to be two in a week!
(She has therapy)
My last one walked at 21 months independently but was cruising for over 6 months. (Not therapy) he crawled at 7 months.
Another one of mine walked at 18 months and crawled at 6 months.
Please don't rush her. She will do it when she is ready. Nobody crawls down to the chuppah.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 9:09 am
amother Oleander wrote:

I'm sorry but this is simply not true. Up until 18 months is developmentally normal.

2 of my kids walked at 15 months and one at 17 months. They walked when they were ready.

mizle10

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:13 am
amother Oleander wrote:

Huh?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics